It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Ghost Hunting in Gettysburg...Any suggestions other than the standard haunts?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hello,
This goes out to any and all avid paranormal investigators, ghost hunters of any degree of experience, civil war history buffs,...or anyone who may have suggestions as to active paranormal 'hotspots' we may want to visit while we're there.

I have been to Gettysburg twice in my life; both times as a novice civil war history enthusiast.
Put simply, the place is unique and awe inspiring. Little Round top...and Devil's Den are almost spiritual in nature, as the drama, emotion, sacrifice...and history-changing events which unfolded there and throughout the battlefield is almost palpable.

My brother-in-law and our wives are new to ghost hunting (we've only gone on several local hunts/haunts...with some intriguing results, thus far), but we're slowly 'gearing up' with new equipment...and have planned a three day/ two-night ghost-hunting trip to Gettysburg, PA. at the end of October.

We are staying in the supposedly VERY haunted Farnswoth House Inn Bed & Breakfast...and will certainly be doing investigations there. Still, we're (my brother-in-law is also an ATS member) hoping others here may have some of their own personal Gettysburg ghost tales and/or evidence to share or might be able to suggest some promising places to investigate.

We promise we will exclusively share all of our evidence (personal experiences, EVPs, digital/infrared photos, etc.) here with all of our great fellow ATS paranormal enthusiasts...and debunkers alike.

Thank you in advance, my friends.

edit on 2-8-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

First of all, good luck with that. Secondly, I would wholeheartedly recommend if you are looking for paranormal activity to go in there with a clear head and serious intentions. I've seen plenty of people supposedly "haunted" places and not witness anything because they were acting goofy and not paying attention to anything. Of course, I'm not trying to say don't have a good time. Just be aware of yourself. Spirits are turned-off by such nonsense any way. Respect them and they will respect you.

I hope to hear the experiences real soon. If you create a new thread, hit me up.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

I appreciate your advice...and we always have tried to treat these situations seriously and show the respect and reverence they merit.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

That's good. I hope I didn't sound like I was suggesting you would act this way, just adding my 98 cents.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

The first thing I was going to say is respect the dead, but reading over your post, I believe you will. I'm a Civil War reenactor so such places are close to my heart. Being a CW history buff, I'm sure it's close to yours as well, so I'll not lecture, lol.
I'm sure you're going with your best intentions.

A bunch of my reenactor friends went ghost hunting in Gettysburg earlier this year. They were visiting one of the houses... I wish I could remember which one. Anyway, there was a teen girl with them and she was goofing off and saying crazy stuff and she got her face smacked by an invisible hand. It literally left a big red hand print on her face. The only thing I remember about the house was that it was open at night and it had an old out house, lol. Sorry for that not being much of a description.

I have found that doing paranormal investigations while in Civil War dress is a great way to get activity. I would just warn about taking someone dressed in Confederate uniform into a Yankee house though, haha! I've heard stories of people doing such and getting scared so bad that they never went back to the place to try it again. Apparently the ghosts are still just as true to the North or South as they were when they were alive. If you're doing an evp session, ask which side they are on and ask what their opinions are of the war, of Abraham Lincoln and such. Anything they would have felt strongly about is likely to get you a response. I just wouldn't "provoke" them. Oh, I just remembered something else. If you can get songs from the Civil War era on an ipod or something, play a song or two and see if you get a response. We did that at one battle field and got quite a bit of activity. Most of all, just let them know that you are there to honor them and you respect them.

Good luck and be sure to post your results here if you get any good evidence!

edit on 8/2/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Truthfully, you aren't anywhere near capable of doing anything except wasting (y)our time. Wanna know how I can tell?

You called yourself a ghost hunter. Give us a break.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WhamBam

No they didn't. They said they were going "ghost hunting". Hunting is a synonym of searching. Would you still have posted this ignorant comment if they had said "We are going ghost searching..."?

Some people...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Well, Have you ever heard of Rehmeyers Hollow? or the hex killing of 1928? Wikipedia link...

Rehmeyer's Hollow

or here is the site of a local (Dover, Pa) ghost hunter. His name is Tom Miles... I have his email which I found on this facebook page at

www.facebook.com...

DPRT website

edit on 2-8-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: fix link

edit on 2-8-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add link

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Thanks. I've never heard of this place...We'll look into it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhamBam
Truthfully, you aren't anywhere near capable of doing anything except wasting (y)our time. Wanna know how I can tell?

Thank you for your response, WhamBam.

Even though it was technically inaccurate...and only just a bit insulting (IMHO), I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. I suspect that, in spite of outward appearences, it is a reflection of your thoughtful and generous nature.

Life's an adventure...and adventure can be fun.
What's wrong with following one's passions...regardless of the fact that other's may feel the need spend their life indulging their own passion of judging those of others?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Across the street from the Farnsworth House you'll see a modern school. On the right side, just before the school, you will see a thicket of pine trees. If you go in those pine trees in the early morning hours .. like 2 or 3 am .. you will see a shadowperson. He runs between the trees. If you go stand over by the statue on top of the hill near the thicket of trees, you will see the shadowman and sometimes he comes running up to you. You can also see shadowpeople dodging in and out of the trees to the right of the big athletic field at the bottom of the hill.

We have ALWAYS seen the shadowman here. Each time we went. Never a miss ...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

WOW...thank you, FlyersFan. I believe I've seen something on this 'shadow man'.
Do you have any photos you can post?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
No photos of the shadowman. He's WAY too fast!
We got TONS of orb pictures in the thicket of pine trees there.
Seriously ... 2 or 3 in the morning when the ghost tours have cleared out.
In that pine thicket and over by the statue (you'll see it)
Be quiet and respectful .. you'll have better results.

Other places ... 'The Bloody Triangle'. (park closes at 10pm so no early morning steak-outs).
Battery drains and strange things with the movie camera. Ditto on top of Devils Den.

Be warned .. there are tons of amature ghost hunters flashing their cameras all over the park until they close at 10:00. It makes for very difficult ghost hunting. Your best bet is to wait until after the midnight ghost tours are done and go over to the pine trees I told you about. You could also walk the tree line near the school athletic field and up the dirt road to the left at the top of the hill (you'll see it). Technically you probably shouldn't be there ... but ....

Oh .. you are staying in the Farnsworth House ... see if you can get some 'alone time' in the attic. There are benches up there to sit on. Bring a childs ball and invite the child ghost to play. Be patient. He's skitterish sometimes. If you have a female in the group, she'll get better results than the fellas would with this child ghost. Sometimes he moves the ball around. if you want to instigate activity with the adult Farnsworth ghosts .. wear all blue .. maybe even one of those cheesy faux-Union civil war hats you can get in town for $5 while wearing blue.. Then get some alone time in the attic. The ghosts of the rebel sharpshooters get irked when you do that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm so glad you posted this. When I saw the OP I was going to link up to your post in the other thread but then I saw your post here. It would be great to have someone else from ATS try to locate the shadow person and report their findings. Lol, I would be too chicken!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

I once was a big skeptic about paranormal until I saw it for myself... now it is just the unexplained to me

Here is link to an ATS thread where I explain what happened...

link

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I don't know what it is about the Devil's Den but it is beautiful and creepy at the same time. Love it.

Where are you coming from poster?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
It would be great to have someone else from ATS try to locate the shadow person and report their findings. Lol, I would be too chicken!

This shadowman won't hurt you. I've heard people say that they have been tapped on the shoulder by him, but that's about it. Other shadowmen .. I dunno. But this one just RUNS. He runs between trees. He looks like those street signs with black cutout people on them ... 'caution children running' .. and then a cutout of a stickfigure running. It's like he's a cutout .. his arms and legs dont' move .. but the whole body moves very fast. I can't explain it ...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I don't know what it is about the Devil's Den but it is beautiful and creepy at the same time.

We have camera problems come up at Devils Den and in 'the bloody triangle'.
Our batteries die off and the movie camera will turn itself on/off/on/off/on/off in those two areas.
Got some good orb pictures in Devils Den a few times.
No spook pictures in The Bloody Triangle .... YET.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
No photos of the shadowman. He's WAY too fast!
We got TONS of orb pictures in the thicket of pine trees there.
Seriously ... 2 or 3 in the morning when the ghost tours have cleared out.
In that pine thicket and over by the statue (you'll see it)
Be quiet and respectful .. you'll have better results.

Other places ... 'The Bloody Triangle'. (park closes at 10pm so no early morning steak-outs).
Battery drains and strange things with the movie camera. Ditto on top of Devils Den.

Be warned .. there are tons of amature ghost hunters flashing their cameras all over the park until they close at 10:00. It makes for very difficult ghost hunting. Your best bet is to wait until after the midnight ghost tours are done and go over to the pine trees I told you about. You could also walk the tree line near the school athletic field and up the dirt road to the left at the top of the hill (you'll see it). Technically you probably shouldn't be there ... but ....

Oh .. you are staying in the Farnsworth House ... see if you can get some 'alone time' in the attic. There are benches up there to sit on. Bring a childs ball and invite the child ghost to play. Be patient. He's skitterish sometimes. If you have a female in the group, she'll get better results than the fellas would with this child ghost. Sometimes he moves the ball around. if you want to instigate activity with the adult Farnsworth ghosts .. wear all blue .. maybe even one of those cheesy faux-Union civil war hats you can get in town for $5 while wearing blue.. Then get some alone time in the attic. The ghosts of the rebel sharpshooters get irked when you do that.

When I grew up in York County I never bothered much with Gettysburg. This is one of the things we get when we live close to something and don't think about the significance of it. But as a child and young adult I was really messed up......

When my dad was dying of cancer 5 years ago he said that his mother had taken him down to a "white witch" and had him blessed. They lived just a few miles from Rehmeyer's Hollow is. I never knew about the Powwow doctors when I was younger.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhamBam

I agree. Any paranormal cemetery trudger - like the OP- worth fly dookey uses a more professional term.

Or maybe not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join