It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soap and water instead of shampoo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I kept on using those shampoos, all kinds of shampoos, to get rid of an itchy scalp, when I read that people in the past would just use soap and water, no shampoo. I tried this, I used regular liquid soap, and it worked way better than shampoo.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Can give you some major dandruff problems or leave soap scum on your hair afterwards. Rub soap on glass and rinse, do the same with shampoo.... Shampoo is not supposed to leave film behind.

You may just need a better brand.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
not just any soap it can mess with the scalp. if you dont want to use cheap store shampoo try looking for natural remedies or organic shampoos

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I used the ol ladies soap (dove) as shampoo once. Ran out of the Pert. Scalp was never so itchy. First time for dandruff too.

It was bar soap, so maybe that had somethin to do with it.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Depending on the cause of your itchy scalp you might need something with coal tar in it

www.netdoctor.co.uk...

This worked for me in the past.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You can try washing with a mix of baking soda and water and rinse with vinegar. It will allow your scalp to regulate itself and the natural oils will get your head back in shape in no time. and no your hair wont smell like vinegar.
In between washes you can use a dry shampoo corm meal with a little essential oil added fir a nice sent. just rub it through your hair and brush it out and any excess oils will cling to it.

I think all the junk in store bought stuff just messes up our bodies ability to do what nature intended. It screws up your scalp and hair so you can buy more junk to put on your head to fix the problems it creates.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
You can try washing with a mix of baking soda and water and rinse with vinegar. It will allow your scalp to regulate itself and the natural oils will get your head back in shape in no time. and no your hair wont smell like vinegar.
In between washes you can use a dry shampoo corm meal with a little essential oil added fir a nice sent. just rub it through your hair and brush it out and any excess oils will cling to it.

I think all the junk in store bought stuff just messes up our bodies ability to do what nature intended. It screws up your scalp and hair so you can buy more junk to put on your head to fix the problems it creates.

hya
thats a good one
also a squeeze of lemon mixed with shampoo
clears dandruff and wards of head lice

and bicarb is my miracle cure for stomach upsets

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I so agree with this. I haven't used shampoo for over a year now. Hair was a little funky for 10 days or so as my head got adjusted to the new routine but after that all was well. Don't do the baking soda every time but I do the diluted vinegar always. Recently started using coconut oil as a sort of pre-treatment once a week or so and a conditioner now and then in place of the commercial conditioner I had continued to use some after stopping the shampoo.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Whoa....soap, are you kidding !

In the olden days, they never used to wash their hair, in fact shampoo wasn't invented until the late 1800's early 1900's, and it has been a bane ever since (in my opinion).

I was watching some youtube vids the other night (oh yeah, I know what youre all thinking), and it talked about hair, and Ph.

Now apparently hair is sits on the acidic side of the scale, around 4.5-5.5,shampoo's are still made to be one the acidic side of the scale, but sit higher up (that's how they rid our hair of sebum...hair oils), some shampoo's sit around neutral.

Trouble is as you move up the scale,you open the cuticles, but then you have to close them again.....say hi to conditioner, which helps to neutralise the effect of the shampoo, and close the cuticles back down on the hair shaft.

Now Baking soda is alkaline, apple cider vinegar is acid, so the two cancel each other out, but not before having stressed your hair and scalp out (how would you like to be dipped in honey, then covered in feathers ? Some of it's got to stick right ?!).

Sorry to ramble, but this has just become my favourite subject recently,owing to a lifetime of bad hair days.

So anyway, not that I have a solution for the OP, and it sounds as though what they are doing is working for them, but I just wanted to share some of what I have learnt, which may or may not be of help.

Presently for me, I am co-washing, and I have to say so far, my hair has never looked better, it is shiny, where once it was dull, no frizz, scalp no longer looking quite so dry and pale (I thought oil production in my hair was a myth) and more tame, I have spent a small fortune over the years on shampoo, and conditioner, but at present this method is the only one to give me the pay off.

Conditioner has clensing properties as well as shampoo, and there are condittioners out there with water soluble silicones,to prevent build up.

If all continues to go well, I will be converting my daughter over to this method too

edit on 29-7-2012 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2012 by solargeddon because: Typos owing to too much conditioner on my hands !

new topics

top topics

join