It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanna Deny Ignorance? Deny Your Own!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You really shouldn't be surprised with the lack of critical thinking here in the US because it is starting to be looked down upon. Heck the Texas GOP wants to pass a law against it.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
ATS promotes ignorance.

Best threads get buried, nonsense stays on the front page.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is as close as I get to having a political ideology. By denying my own ignorance, even though it might be hard, I actually improve the quality of life for myself!

~It is the true path to ascension.~

On a slightly unrelated side-note, I have noticed that it is also the most effective path to a woman's heart.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
S+F

I have been registered at ATS for several years and came back actively recently and I have been beginning to wonder why.I thought maybe it was just ME.After reading your OP and other's replies--I see it is not.But (sadly) I see a lot of the same problems and behaviors on every site with a comment section.I have encountered a small % of people here that truly want to deny ignorance and are open minded,but I have to say--I read a wide variety of thread subjects and no matter what it is--the majority of people here are out to do anything BUT that.Like someone else mentioned already--a good number of people at this site drive by and fling their opinion out or just rant or troll or come for a quick fix of venting one's spleen and stirring up doo-doo or getting an adrenalin rush from anger and arguing with very little (if any) respect,honor or critical thinking at all.
edit on (7/30/1212 by amrith777 because: typo

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Until then, god wont speak to humanity. God speaks to us all. We dont listen. But for those that do i salute you. For you have knowledge much like my own. Thank you to those who shine lights of clarity and respect. I also salute you

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Well said

Lately I find myself thinking that "support ignorance" should be the new ATS motto, seems like quite a few people here (like never before) are unwilling to doubt themselves and whats around them. That is very dangerous, to be so sure of something that can be so fake.

Maybe changing the motto will help, why not "Question everything"? I think it will penetrate some bunker minds. Ignorance is still a subjective term imo

edit on 30-7-2012 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
fo sho. I know what your saying

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
If you can’t take a moment to look objectively at the possibilities in what someone else is saying because it doesn’t fit your paradigm, then you are wilfully ignorant and subjective in your approach to investigation and learning.

This little bit here describe what i deal with on a constant basis at work. The person "requestor" gets a preconcieved (sp) notion about why something fails, and when we find evidence to not support their hypothisis (sp) all hell breaks loose.

Nice Rant some how makes me feel better reading someone else has the same type of trouble.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Star and flag Klass, what a great post! I hope to see it on page one. Denial of one's own ignorance is something a great many people, some here in ATS, needs to do. I see people in here every day that posts their "truths" without any backup at all.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Great breakdown, Jean Paul, say, do you have a PHd? Just wondering, you now. You seem to have a deep insight into things people write. Nice to have.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Star and flag Klass, what a great post! I hope to see it on page one. Denial of one's own ignorance is something a great many people, some here in ATS, needs to do. I see people in here every day that posts their "truths" without any backup at all.

Thanks for the kind words Auto. I don't expect to see it on the front page, but I appreciate everyone who has participated.

BTW. Your Grandpa is still off to the side. We gotta get him centered, that's too cool of a picture to cut him off.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Very good points all around. S&F

But, please let me add this:

When I post on something I don't know much about, I either pose it as a question or offer analogies and metaphors that seem to substantiate my claim. If someone responds with language that clearly shows he knows his stuff, I will thank him for expanding my knowledge.

That said, when I do reply or make a thread, I am smart enough to know that my education (8 credits away from an associates in liberal arts) is not even close to making me an expert on anything. I have a curious mind, and I've dabbled in almost every topic imaginable since I was ten (forty-seven years ago). No genius here.

Point being, when a know-it-all with a tenth grade education claims he knows how to levitate, without the slightest clue of just how much energy is needed to accomplish such a feat (imagine someone wearing a jet pack), reading such a post is a total waste of everyone's time.

There's a HUGE difference between asking about levitation and claiming it can be done.

If people have a high school diploma and have read the bible once, why aren't they smart enough to understand that they are in no position to preach, or to claim they know god? Again, it's one thing to ask about a god, allowing others to actually enjoy chatting about all the possibilities that go into what a god would be like, and quite another to claim knowledge that NO ONE can possibly have about a god.

If I won't tolerate it in myself - if I am humble enough to write 'I dunno', as I have many times - then why should I tolerate it from others? Others that probably need a bit of humbling in order to grow. I was young and cocky once, and I wouldn't have matured if everyone just politely nodded and walked away.

I was once stupid enough to think I could do anything. Now I'm smart enough to know I can't do sh%$.

edit on 7/30/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/30/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Great breakdown, Jean Paul, say, do you have a PHd? Just wondering, you now. You seem to have a deep insight into things people write. Nice to have.

I received my PHD at the University of Hard Knocks and am now a doctor of been there done that. I did, as an undergraduate major in philosophy.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Bravo! - A Very well written and timely message for all ATS members and non-members just reading.

The mods have placed your rant on the front page as was suggested by many, so that shows that they also concur with the logic and timely message content of your rant.

I would like to suggest that the ATS mods get the ATS web masters to place your rant and some ideas of their own on the home webpage that loads first. This new first Welcome and Instructions page should have at least a 30 Second Timer on it before the reader is allowed to Continue on to the Home Page.

That would " Remind " everyone who comes to read and post on ATS to keep an open mind on what they read on ATS. To at least give every New Thread some " Respect " no matter if they agree or not, and to not just immediately start jumping down the New Thread op's throat with personal attacks, ridicule and jokes etc as has become the norm.

We all need to be reminded to at the very least extend some common curtesy and respect to others in our replies.

Again - Bravo ! for a much needed and Timely Post on ATS ! A Star for your rant from me too

edit on 7/30/2012 by chrisb9 because: corrected a few typo's

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

There's a HUGE difference between asking about levitation and claiming it can be done.

Damn, and that was going to be my next thread.

I hear ya Jigger. You make some valid points. The whole point of this thread for me was to get more than just my angle on this topic. I was hoping for some great posts, and I think we got them. It's not a mega thread, but it gets the idea across. Thanks for the input.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisb9

I really appreciate the kind words. I do hope this thread as a whole can be helpful in reminding all of us to see the topics we discuss from more than one perspective, and encourage critical thinking skills along with an open mind.

My thanks to everyone for your contribution to this thread so far.

edit on 7/30/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Really nicely said, I have wanted to convey this but you have found all the perfect words I think, S+F.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hey, first of all, thanks for a great read. I think what is written here is a lesson for life and not just for ATS... As a recent addition to the community I wonder if it is a matter of culture? What I mean is, if you spend even the shortest time in any other interne community (heck, even the comments section on YouTube!) then you quickly realise that, generally, it's a free-for-all abuse fest, and I think even the brightest and best end up being conditioned to fight for every inch. It is the culture of our great world wide community that we fight and bicker and abuse and decry.... I get the feeling from longer term members that ATS didn't used to be this way and perhaps the philosophy you describe in the OP has got washed away in the influx of new, less relaxed, more conditioned new members that don't understand that ATS wasn't (and still isn't) the same kind of #storm free-for-all you get elsewhere and that there's no NEED to fight for every inch.... Sadly, the more members that join with the 'new' attitude the more that the culture shifts and the expectation that ATS is just the same BS shout-off slowly becomes reality... Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.... Sorry if this is a bit waffly and doesn't make sense but I'm posting at work, on my phone, whilst trying to do several other things....

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There is a difference between a wise man and a wise guy.

I know one thing I know nothing.
hire a college student while he still knows everything

There are too many subjects to know everything and there are too many things in the subject you do know to know it all.There will always be someone who knows more than you or knows something that you don't.Someone can look at something in a way that you have never thought of.To keep all these things in your head a not forget something is impossible.Your point of view of life/Religion can skew things and make you not look at another point of view.The older I get and the more I see the more I realize I am not as smart as I once thought.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Thanx. I love your insight in your posts and threads. Seems to be deeper than most.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join