It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web of lies: 10 things the internet says are true

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hello ATS, This is my first proper thread so be gentle
Also mods, if this is in the wrong forum please relocate.

Whilst browsing one of my usual sites, I came accross this article: www.techradar.com...

The website is quite a mainstream one, which generally reviews, and reports on gadgets and electronics etc. This particular post stood out a mile to me, as it blindly debunks a lot of topics frequently covered on sites such as ATS; Such as Aspartame dangers, vaccination dangers, and Area 51 "myths". Some of the "explanations" go in to no detail at all, they just go on to say they are not true.

6. Area 51 is full of alien technology, and the moon landings were faked No it isn't, and no they weren't. Next!

I also found it odd, that the comments function at the bottom has been disabled for "maintainance". While this is most likely just coincidence, it is still worth noting. The post seems designed to make members such as ourselves look like nut jobs.

Maybe I am reading too much into this, but having visited their website for a very long time, the content and motive of the page feels very different. Maybe there are other people behind this?

Any thoughts?

edit on 27-7-2012 by tallpaul1984 because: external example added

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey, thanks for the link. I personally think that the article is terrible as it offers very little, if any at all, explanantion. I mean, the section about Area 51 and Moon landing is like one sentence.. how can that article be taken seriously?!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

Indeed. For me it is cleverly worded and so brief as to exclude any other possibilty, and thus make a mockery of anyone who would believe otherwise.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I love how it says the moon landing was not fake, like they really know.

The irony is, they have a list of things of lies found on the internet, posted to a web site, ON THE INTERNET.

Whos 'wronger'?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yeah it looked very sleezy and no explanations.

They just slap the tittle on there so uninformed people think is legit.

And they are plain out lying about some of the points (claiming that lack of evidence is proof
) like WiFi, its completely unproven whether there are effects of constant long term WiFi exposure is.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tallpaul1984

The entire article reads like a "If you believe this article, you're a dolt" piece.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

We are of course! Because they stated their points as pure fact... It is frustrating to see a page like this. Especially when there is no room for discussion as the comments section has been taken down. I would have a few words to say!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There is an incredible amount of articles, such as this, that try and debunk us crazies all the time; comments are always disabled, because God forbid we debunk the debunkers. Most media operates on logical fallacies – for good reason they are extremely complicated and complex and most people will never take the time to fully understand them.

This would be my comment:

(1) Celebrities are model citizens.

(2) Many kindergarteners can/will/would confirm glue is delicious!

(3) Don’t forget our balls!

(4) Huh?

(5) Mercury is good for you, duh!

(6) I did not know there was wind on the moon?

(7) Who is Barry Sorento?

(8) Well that’s an understatement.

(9) Because the computers say otherwise…

(10) Doesn’t every MNC lock-up workers until they leap to their deaths?

edit on 27-7-2012 by ConspiracyBuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The article felt very insulting, as if the internet is entirely populated by stupid people.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

Fully agree with your comment. and this is the problem we face. I find it impossibe to talk to my friends about these topics, as they simply don't give other theories a chance. Because its "nonesense".

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well while I understand it is an article and doesn't go as in depth on somethings there are some of the points in which they are going to the far extreme without saying anything within' that point as to counter it. Take for example "5. You shouldn't get your kids vaccinated against anything" Most people wouldn't do this now there are some that would but for the most part there are some people that know that some vaccines really aren't all that helpful and can have a problematic effect on their child.

10. Apple is doomed

._. nothing to really say to this one especially given the trend of things that are Apple and Apple products.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Saw a commercial last night during the Olympics that was hilarious!! This girl kind of arguing with a guy and saying everything on they put on the internet has to be true. At the end of it some big, ugly dork walks up and she grabs his arm and introduces him as a French Model, LOL! It was GREAT!

Well, actually, not great as a marketing tool, because I have no idea what the ad was about, and therefore no way to go search for it to post here?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

As you say, being an article rather than a report, you wouldnt expect in depth anaysis of any of the points. The main thing is that they approach each subject as if there is absolutly no need to say any more on the matter. Their word is final, and nobody needs to think on the contrary.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
YES IT IS, AND YES THEY WERE!!! NEXT!!!!!!! See I can shout louder and add more exclamation points, so I win!

....is what I would've posted if the comments section was not "closed for maintenance", and if I went to that site and read the article...

Maybe I would've posted the same comment 3 or more times, with variations, followed by a final comment saying:

AND, I can be more insistent... Ready to give up yet? Wait, what rules are we playing by? I thought It was whoever shouts and repeats themselves and mocks other people's beliefs the most, wins... Right? No? Oh, you mean we have to actually provide evidence for our claims instead of just stating our beliefs and typing "Next" followed by exclamation points afterwards? Aw man, that sounds a lot more complicated... I liked the first idea better... I guess I better apply for a job at some website where they don't have such high standards...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

But no matter how insistant you are, unfortunatly that won't stand ground. For instance this is a popular website which features news and reviews of current and upcoming mobile phones and tablets. A site like that with a growing interest from people will be able to make their views heard and accepted. Which is why I think this is such a devestating article to mix in with the others.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Sorry for the late reply lots of things needed to be done this early afternoon in which I couldn't be around as much. Yeah but still I guess being that it is an internet source I've come to expect at least some external links perhaps at the bottom or something I mean granted if it was like a publication article that was from New York Times or something that can't be edited due to it being in print that would make sense. I guess I'm just one that would like at least two or three pages of things to read even if it is just a top 10

top topics

join