It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victim from Colorado Shootings could face medical bill in excess of $2 million... Fair or unfair?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

For those of you who missed my first post, linked above.

You have all been played like a fiddle.

The taxpayers have been, and will continue to pay the majority of uninsured/indigent healthcare in this country. Obamacare changed *nothing* except the fact that people that refused to buy insurance that could afford it can now be fined. (Afford is subjective.) People below a certain income level (that has been raised) will *not* be fined, they will still be on Medicaid/Medicare.

Other than that, all Obamacare did was outline rules for hospitals and Dr's. That's it. Fines and rules.

You still foot the bills. Deal. Now, look at reality a moment and quit foaming at the mouth over this mans' invented problems by bleeding heart liberals intent on making you well, foam at the mouth.

1. This is a Not-for-profit hospital. They run on phailantropic donations, Federal grants.
2. No one will be refused care based on ability/inability to pay
3. Patients without insurance are enrolled immediately into the Emergency Medicaid Program.
4. Most hopitals accept the Medicaid payment and do not persue the 20% copay, in partular with high profile events such as this
5. If he is permanently disabled, he will recieve Disability Benefits, as will his minor child, and be enrolled in Medicare, as well

www.uch.edu...

University of Colorado Hospital History and Timeline

1989 University of Colorado Hospital separates from University of Colorado to become a private, not-for-profit corporation.

en.wikipedia.org...

EMTALA applies to "participating hospitals." The statute defines "participating hospitals" as those that accept payment from the Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) under the Medicare program.[2] However, in practical terms, EMTALA applies to virtually all hospitals in the U.S., with the exception of the Shriners Hospitals for Children, Indian Health Service hospitals, and Veterans Affairs hospitals.[citation needed] The combined payments of Medicare and Medicaid, $602 billion in 2004,[3] or roughly 44% of all medical expenditures in the U.S., make not participating in EMTALA impractical for nearly all hospitals. EMTALA's provisions apply to all patients, and not just to Medicare patients.[4][5]

The uncompensated or non-reimbursed amounts are written off as bad debt thus becoming a tax write off and the unpaid bills are also sold to third party collection agencies for an average of 20 cents per dollar[citation needed]. However, health insurance reimbursements for services provided have continually been reduced by the health insurance companies[citation needed]. Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements for services have also been reduced
[citation needed]. However, EMTALA is independent of the payers, EMTALA is not similar to bad debt or charity care that MANY not-for-profit hospitals enjoy.

Patients cannot face criminal prosecution for failure to pay, even if the patient came to the hospital aware of inability to pay. Hospitals and third-party agents may not threaten patients with prosecution as a means of scaring the patient into making payment. Patient can be prosecuted under existing federal, state, or local laws for providing false name, address, or other information to avoid payment, receiving bills, or to hide fugitive status.

www.mymedicare.com...

Medicaid is a government funded health insurance benefit program created in 1965 and designed to provide health insurance to certain low-income families and individuals. To qualify for Medicaid, certain financial criteria must be met. A large number of Americans have applied for, and receive these health insurance benefits. Many other people have no health insurance and live in dread of a medical emergency.

Hospitals are required to provide treatment to patients who have acute medical emergencies. For the individual without health insurance, this can be a stressful situation. However, in certain situations, millions of American may be entitled to Emergency Medicaid benefits.

Emergency Medicaid cannot be applied for ahead of time. It is designed to meet a sudden, critical medical need. Most people realize that they need this benefit only after an emergency occurs. Hospitals and clinics can often assist with the application process.

edit on 25-7-2012 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by Tramadolnights

No today I was down range re-zeroing and havin a shoot with the rest of the teams after transit ( 47 guys )
16000 5.56
8000 7.62
800 .338
800 9mm
300 .50
Lovely day thanks ...............what you been up to today on your school summer holidays ?
Appart from getting people's backs up ?

edit on 25-7-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

Ah, so you were with your Airsoft walt mates. Were you all pretending to be Task Force 141? Who was Roach? Did you find someone to be Yuri?

School holidays? Nah mate, I left school about 5 years ago.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That's some crazy air soft calibre's dude

You really should get out from behind your Xstation and ask if they'll let you back in school - perhaps learn some manners and decorum ? And maybe some reality ! - not MW3 ! ( if you wish I will correct you on OPFOR )

But I get the distinct impression your some privileged upper class toffee nosed rupert that, because he's seen top gun like THIS many times ........that makes you a f14 pilot

Friendly advice
Unplug
Get out
Grow up
And give mommy and daddy a break

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tramadolnights

Wow.....just.....wow. I hope your sense of etiquette is more intact when you're talking to people in person or I would think you would spend alot of time looking over your shoulder.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Meh can't help it sometimes. Some people just need to wake the hell up.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

I know dude - had a wee run in with this character yesterday
But so you don't make the same mistakes I did
Don't try to argue with the chap - regardless how rude he may be
As soon as you give him some of his own medicine - he goes running to the mods
And .........mind your language !!!! He only joined Monday ...........which coincidently was the first day of the Brits school holidays.........so deduce what you will from that

Peace dude
See you in the forums

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Meh when you're right, you're right. Stay frosty, brother.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Talk about some bad luck.... Caleb Medley, was one of the movie patrons who found himself in a theater with a crazed lunatic with a gun (James Holmes). Unfortunately, for him he was struck with a bullet in the eye and is currently in an induced coma. The family reported that he doesnt have medical insurance and the bills could be in excess of $2 million dollars for him... This story is very unfortunate, but I ask, what is there that can be done? Well it looks like some of his friends set up a website that has already raised $70k. I doubt that they will raise the $2 million to cover all his bills...

Anyways, I was wondering... In tragic situations like the one that happened in Aurora, CO, should victims, like Caleb Medley, be held responsible to pay these huge bills? Even if he had insurance there is probably a chance he would have had to pay something, but I tend to feel that anyone who gets put through events like that shouldnt have to foot the bill.. Is there any realistic scenario out there that you can think of where a, Caleb Medley, wouldnt have to pay a bill like this?

Is this situation his fault because he doesnt have medical insurance? Its such a tough topic because so many live their lives without that safety net and before you know it, tragedies like this one happen...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Mods- I ran a search and didnt find anything about this story, if someone already posted it feel free to trash it...
edit on 24-7-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

Three of the five hospitals that handled the victims are writing off their expenses. The other two may follow suit. Also donations are pouring in as well from private citizens and Warner Bros who made the fillm. There are also fundraisers in the works.

I don't think Mr. Medley's family will have to worry about the bill being paid off. Also his wife gave birth to their child in the same hospital, Univ of Colorado hospital. It's also one of the largest hospitals in the state for providing free care.

www.rr.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Every day. Who do you think pays the bills for all those people that are hospitalized every hour of every day in every hospital in America?

Not only do the people in the medical profession end up working for nothing they also end up paying for the privilege.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I wouldn't worry,

When ever their is evil good will rise to meet it.

Watch Donations will take care of this, from around the world.

Its the one bright point in these tragedies the rush to help after.

Well, it's OK if you are lucky enough to atract what's known as an 'angel'...but it's a crappy basis for a health care system.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Well, it's OK if you are lucky enough to atract what's known as an 'angel'...but it's a crappy basis for a health care system.

No kidding, don't get me started on Americas health care system.

Put my point stands, in this case, we will see the kindness of their fellow man save them from this plight.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join