It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military participates for first time in Japan quake exercise in Tokyo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I wish that Japan never had to worry for a while about a repeat of what happened last year, the 9.0 earth quake that triggered that awful tsunami. But at least now they will be better prepared with extra help. The military was there last year and helped in delivering aid and clearing debris. But this time, our troops are training to be more hands on in a worst case scenario, working with the Japanese.

YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan — U.S. military personnel have participated for the first time in an annual Japanese exercise designed to prepare for a major earthquake in Tokyo.

The Japanese capital, home to some of America’s largest overseas bases, has a 70 percent chance of experiencing a severe quake in the next four years, experts say. Last year’s 9.0 magnitude shock to the north caused a massive tsunami that killed more than 20,000 people. The Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant also was damaged.

Last week, U.S. soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines joined 5,000 Japanese soldiers, police, firefighters and local government officials in a weeklong exercise designed to test their ability to get rescuers, food and water to survivors of an 8.2-magnitude earthquake centered in Tokyo Bay.

Last week’s exercise scenario included a 3-meter-high tsunami north of Tokyo and damage to a nuclear power plant that forced authorities to set up decontamination areas for fleeing civilians.

U.S. Army Capt. William Wilson, 26, of Denver — an environmental scientist who collected samples of soil, air and water to test for toxins during Operation Tomodachi, last year’s disaster response effort — said personnel involved in the latest exercise were well aware that they were training for a real-world mission.

A large earthquake in Tokyo “is probably going to happen,” he said.

The scenario called for Marines to be dispatched from Okinawa, while the Army, Navy and Air Force mobilized their trucks, ships and planes to haul personnel and supplies. The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Agency for International Development were providing U.S. troops with mission parameters, Anderson said.

Japanese personnel working alongside the Americans during the exercise sat in rooms full of maps and computers at Camp Asaka organizing supply depots and convoys through the disaster zone.

www.stripes.com...

I think this is great but as I said before, I hope it will be a long time before these people have to worry about this kind of tragedy again. And I noticed now they are also focused on the Nuclear Plants during their training.

With the strange Earth changes, it is scary times indeed for all of us around the World. From droughts, to floods, tornadoes, earth quakes, record high temps, we are all affected in one way or another.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
we are all affected in one way or another.

Thats why its GOOD too see the MIlitary of the US assisting them over there. NICE to hear and see global cooperations like this
and THANKS

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Smart move.

It improves international relations. Not to mention, lessons learned from Japanese efficiency can be brought home.

It would be nice if it didn't happen again, but since Japan is one of the most active earthquake zones in the world, it is just a waiting game.
edit on 23-7-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

join