It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant hole and Tunel found in Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Haha, all of this has been discussed on here this morning. From the star wars references, location on mars itself, to ancient calderas.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Apleness

If it is a volcano, it stands to reason that lava created the tube. The surrounding basin would have been from the blow-out of said volcano.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Reminds me of the stories of Agathra and the north and south pole openings supposedly on earth. I guess when you think about going hundreds if not thousands of miles deep into a planet anything your imagination can stir up could be down there. IMO the answers we are looking for about many of things are at the bottom of the ocean and hidden deep inside our planet.

If we can build DUMBS (deep underground military bases) few miles deep then with some advanced technology you could build and entire civilization underground without that much effort.

How about an entire planet hollowed out with a shield in theory could be a flying planet ship...hmmmmmm.
I personally believe almost anything is possible with the right technology and materials.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Around the rim of the crater on the left is a semi circle crack that looks like it is about to collapse as well. Maybe like a sink hole? If a subterranean chamber already existed there then the impactor opened it up so we could see it. How deep below the surface is the top of the chamber?

Either that or its a really big one of these...

Antlion

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is not the first caverns/holes found on Mars. Here is an article from 2007 describing similar features:

NASA Orbiter Finds Possible Cave Skylights on Mars

One hypothesis for the cavers/holes in this article is that caverns were created by volcanic stresses opening up underground fault lines (the caverns), and the holes are area that the surface collapsed above the caverns.

The new report proposes that the deep holes on Arsia Mons probably formed as underground stresses around the volcano caused spreading and faults that opened spaces beneath the surface. Some of the holes are in line with strings of bowl-shaped pits where surface material has apparently collapsed to fill the gap created by a linear fault.

I suppose at the lowlands of mars, there could even be ancient caverns carved by water, such as some caverns are carved by water here on Earth. If the surface above these caverns collapse (whether they are water-carved caverns or geologic stress fracture), you can have a sinkhole/opening similar to what we see here.

Here is another article that discusses chains of sinkholes that are cause by the surface collapsing over the top of an underground Martian fault line. These sinkholes follow the long faults, thus causing the holes to appear in chains.
Seismic study hints at a rumbling Mars

edit on 7/18/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Theres already a thread!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Oh come on people, clearly you can tell that this is just a lens flare from the camera.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Oh come on people, clearly you can tell that this is just a lens flare from the camera.

No. They are sinkholes.
Not really a new discovery, either. Several have been seen before on Mars.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Looks like a vanity bowl. Where's the faucet and stopper. Looks like nobody cleaned it for a long time, there's still a scum ring on it. Maybe when they send the rover there they can have it clean the scum ring off with a soap and rag.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by silversurfer6161
Theres already a thread!

Yes, already posted here.

What this have to do with "Aliens and UFOs"?

edit on 18-7-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
just reminds me of a sink hole
www.chinasmack.com...

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Apleness

This is an amazing find! I absolutely cannot wait until we actually make it to mars and discover this cavern, i cant even imagine what kind of crazy stuff we will find. What a wonderful time to be alive.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Around the rim of the crater on the left is a semi circle crack that looks like it is about to collapse as well. Maybe like a sink hole? If a subterranean chamber already existed there then the impactor opened it up so we could see it. How deep below the surface is the top of the chamber?

Either that or its a really big one of these...

Antlion

Just what I was thinking: sinkhole.
From the crack running around the left, it's may be ready to collapse and open even wider.
That would be great because it would give a better look inside.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm thinking it's the Mars Hotel.

Something odd about the hole in the center. There are also quite a lot of artifacts on the upper edge of the dome that don't appear anywhere else in the photograph. (from about 12oclock to 2oclock)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
Not a natural hole. some1 or something made this. intriguing

Really? Because there are holes like this all over earth, which have been created by nature, and probably go even deeper than this one.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

These are on the moon too. I think this one is pretty crazy. It looks like the whole rim has collapsed into the chamber.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by DAVID64

These are on the moon too. I think this one is pretty crazy. It looks like the whole rim has collapsed into the chamber.

One thing is for certain: These holes don't form without help. Usually it means water is the cause or lava...though the process could've taken years (hundreds, thousands?)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
how many threads will be made about this, man ur late,i read this post yesterday
the search is your friend

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz
how many threads will be made about this, man ur late,i read this post yesterday
the search is your friend

The search on ATS is often unreliable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join