It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Syria, nice shooting.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The Phantom is no pushover.

The Phantom has the distinction of being the last U.S. fighter flown to attain ace status in the 20th century....[the Phantom] was also the only aircraft used by both U.S. flight demonstration teams: the USAF Thunderbirds (F-4E) and the US Navy Blue Angels (F-4J).

phantom

The Turkish jet was just barely inside Syria and just barely there for any time at all and before they knew what had hit them the Turkish pilots were sucking seawater.

Is Syria on their game or was the Phantom an easy kill? Did Syria send a message?

On the side, if you like the Muslim Brotherhood then you should love Turkey. Erdogan is the leader of the MB in Turkey.

edit on 25-6-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Could have been luck ( bad on the part of the F-4 Phantom, good on the part of Syria )

An agile and capable craft, depending on the pilot's training of course.. but the craft was also apparently in international airspace and not on as high an alert as it normally would/should be I would imagine.

The F-4 was downed near the Turkish-Syrian border in the Mediterranean and it fell into the sea some 10 km from shore. According to Turkish authorities the plane was in international airspace when it was shot down.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Not on alert?

Turkey has said the jet mistakenly strayed into Syrian airspace Friday, but was quickly warned to leave by Turkish authorities

tel egraph

Looks like they were on alert.

Here is my uneducated assessment:

1 Phantom enters Syrian airspace
2 Syria fires AA
3 Turkish jet quickly moves to depart Syrian airspace, but missile is already coming
4 Boom...Turkish jet hit over international waters

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It is SOOOO old though.

That plane was on "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" simulation game, back in the 90's. For a Vietnam war simulation. Old.

Ejection seats still work nicely sounds like though.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four

Not on alert?

Turkey has said the jet mistakenly strayed into Syrian airspace Friday, but was quickly warned to leave by Turkish authorities

tel egraph

Looks like they were on alert.

Here is my uneducated assessment:

1 Phantom enters Syrian airspace
2 Syria fires AA
3 Turkish jet quickly moves to depart Syrian airspace, but missile is already coming
4 Boom...Turkish jet hit over international waters

Very possible - I'm not sure, the source I read just said that they were in international space when they were hit so it could be they WENT into syrian airspace and quickly pulled out after Syria already fired.

If you're accidentally crossing into sovereign space then I can't really consider that being on high alert though.. sounds like a silly mistake to make for a highly trained pilot.. or an arrogant one..
edit on 6/25/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I just thought is was interesting that Syria is not so busy with fighting Al CIA Duh that they cannot find the time to knock a stray Phantom out of the sky.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

The raptor is new. And no one wants to fly it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
the plane "shooting" on video

look near the coast for me

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Airspace are NOT roads with markings.

Up in the air, the only guidance systems are onboard and radar.

Turkey was merely testing their rader capabilities, more so in these dangerous times with a beast on the human throne of Syria, and refugees continually pouring into Turkey to seek for life and freedom from slaughter, as well as shelling from the Syrian borders.

It was only natural if electronics fail, as such those tests were meant for. Turkey had practised much restraint for months with the savagery of shelling and human traffic in its borders. The least Syria could do in return is to follow international norms for straying foreign aircrafts - levels to steer them away, espacially when pilots had radio'ed their errors into their space and are already on the way out.

Unfortunately, being beasts, where lies are only a way of life, the Assadist forces claimed that single aircraft flew low and fast into its terrority, and yet, the brutually murdered pilot' craft was found factually on international waters. How much more of lies can one accept from those sadists in Syria and their supporters even here, drunk on human blood?

Assad and his bunch of barbarian supporters will pay, as sure as the sun that rises from the East daily!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The F-4 is still a capable aircraft, especially after the upgrades. But if the pilots aren't expecting to be fired upon, and if it's either an optical track missile, or a gun as stated by the Syrian Foreign Minister, there is no warning. An optically tracked missile, you might get a launch warning, but it will quickly cease, as there are no emissions coming from the missile. With a gun, you might get a TEWS warning of the radar for the gun, but there is no way to warn that the shells are in the air.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Could have been luck ( bad on the part of the F-4 Phantom, good on the part of Syria )

An agile and capable craft, depending on the pilot's training of course.. but the craft was also apparently in international airspace and not on as high an alert as it normally would/should be I would imagine.

The F-4 was downed near the Turkish-Syrian border in the Mediterranean and it fell into the sea some 10 km from shore. According to Turkish authorities the plane was in international airspace when it was shot down.

10nm from shore?
International Law says 12nm is national territorial waters.
Has Syria declared 12nm?
If so, that is Syrian territory..

The Turkish plane was in violation of Syrian airspace, either way.
Turkey has a well known habit of violating other nations air space. It even claims other nations air space, among other things.

I have no sympathy for Turkey on this.
They keep playing with fire, and now they've been burned.
They made their bed now let them lie in it.

I will be very surprised if NATO goes to war over an incident created by Turkeys recklessness.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It was a RECON plane.Which means UNARMED.Which means the pilots were UNAWARE that syrians might shot at their plane.

Turkey and Syria are NOT in war, which emans, DUH, that was close to nor eason to get shot at.Also, if it was some tech failure and the jet entered syrian space, syrians should had scrabled ome jets or at least give radio warnings.

Btw, a plane that flies 15 nm offshore at a HIGH altitude (recon planes do that) can EASILY crash 10 nm after being shot down.Just make a little math with a 8 km altitude and Mach 1 speed and you will see that the plane could even had been much far away from syrian waters.

So, recon unamrmed plane, not a state of war between those 2 countries, NO FCKING warning or jets scrambled...and you think they did a NICE job?

Dude, if you are drunk ( tech error) and come close to my yard (syrian waters) you do not expect me to SHOT you dead. You expect me to come with a baseball bat and yell at you to gtfo.Not to crack your head open.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Recollector because: *

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

"Apparently" in international airspace being the operative word there. The Syrian version of events is very different. They state the Phantom was shot down using AA guns, with a range of 2.5 miles (which puts the plane within Syrian airspace). They say the damage to the tail section of the plane shows clear AA gun damage, therefore backing up their version of events.

Personally, i do not trust the Syrians but i also think Turkey has been looking for an excuse to flex its' military might in the region for a while.......and here it is.

top topics

join