It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Describe to me your idea of the quinessencial modern hippy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
If you were a hippy describe what you'd be like and how you would live your life?

[editby ]edit on 23-6-2012 by r2d246 because: testing pics

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I'm sorry but I have to do this....

Y.O.L.O

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
If you were a hippy describe what you'd be like and how you would live your life?

I do consider myself a modern day hippy.
I was growing up at the end of the actual hippy movement and I learned a lot about love and acceptance from my mother, the Vietnam era, my brother (a Marine in Vietnam), John Lennon and what I saw happening in the country.

What am I like now?

Most importantly, and at the base of it all, I'm an independent thinker. I don't buy into the hierarchical power structure. I don't belong to a political party or religion or blindly follow any paradigm. I believe in true freedom.

I advocate for equal rights for all. I'm not very patient with those who would treat other people as "lesser" than them or deny them their rights. I often advocate for the underdog and play the devil's advocate. And I try to see some good in everyone.

I minimize my carbon footprint by accommodating modern technology and using it appropriately (Solar, for example) and being conscious of the impact we have here. We have recycled for 20 years, we compost and garden and rarely even eat out. We eat very healthily and take good care of ourselves.

I am not a pacifist, but a person of peace. I believe most issues can be solved peacefully, but am not against fighting for the right cause. I live in integrity and honesty. I have a very mellow personality. People say I'm "calming". I'd rather surround myself with animals than most people.

While I'm not the stereotypical 60s hippie, I do dress comfortably, I don't wear make-up or use the vast majority of the products women are told they need to make them beautiful and smell good. I have no use for that. I'm an artist, seamstress, a great cook and I believe love is the single most powerful force in the Universe.

I think that covers it.

edit on 6/23/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't know if I'd consider myself a hippie, but I've certainly been called such, among other things.

Hmmm... I believe in freedom. That is there is no government or hired goons to enforce cooked up rules that have no basis in reality. Freedom as in the only laws are the laws of physics, if you can do it then you can, in fact, do it. I figure it's not healthy for people to gang up on those they don't understand and beat them into conforming to some type of generally accepted "normalcy."

In my reality there's no such thing as a job, not in the traditional sense anyway. For instance a job today is something that one does largely because if they didn't society as a whole would consider them unworthy of life and refuse them food, water, shelter, friendship, or pretty much anything and everything. In my reality a job is what one does because they enjoy it, not because it's generally accepted as right, okay, or normal. There would be no bosses or managers, no commands or arbitrary punishments for disobeying, only those that give advice or suggestions and do not enforce that advice with physical or mental violence.

I've often likened it to an ant colony. A nursery ant does not take care of the young ones because she'd be cast out of the hive otherwise, but because that's what she was born to do. Warrior ants have a thicker carapace and are generally larger than most of the other ants, they were born warriors. No one interviewed the warrior ant and decided for him if he should be a warrior or not, nature already made that decision when the ant was born. The drone ants do most of the food collecting and they never refuse to feed the warrior ant because he's different looking and likes fighting rather than collecting/digging. The drone ants simply accept that the warrior ant was born different than they and even though he's different his task is just as important to the colony as any other ant. Drone ants do not understand what it's like to be a warrior, they don't like that type of thing, they were born for another task.

It's important to note that no ant gives any other ant orders. The ants simply do what they want to, lo and behold the ant colony is one of the most resilient organisms on the planet. The ants share everything with each other and demand nothing in return for their work. The drones know that if they share with the warriors then the warriors will live to defend them. The warriors know if they defend the drones then the drones will live to share food with them. No ant tries to quantify the contributions of another ant. No ant tries to determine if another ant is worthy of receiving help, they all simply accept that they all have different tasks that serve to ensure the survival of the whole.

I feel that we could be similar, only more complex. More complex because we have the ability to learn. Instead of warriors, drones, nursery and queens, we have farmers, scientists, janitors, programmers, artists, entertainers, etc. Today we do not live as the ant colony. We do not accept that people were born scientists or born farmers, we try to determine for them what they "should" do and if they do not conform we cast them out of the colony.

The ant colony knows that drones are as important as warriors and warriors as important as nursery and nursery as important as queens. The ant colony does not give more food to the queen because she's more important, the colony knows she's not more important and that all parts are equally essential to the safe operation of the whole.

We seem to believe that a doctor is more important than a janitor, but would the doctor be able to perform his work in a filthy environment? We seem to feel that scientists are more important than farmers, but could the scientist discover without food?

The ant colony does not have problems such as rape, murder, hate or famine. We do.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Not to mention they all smoke pot and do all kinds of other crap drugs.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Did you know that nutmeg is actually a drug? You can get a marijuana like high from nutmeg, according to wikipedia, except when you come down from the high you're left with a massive headache and you can even overdose on nutmeg causing death.

Caffeine is also a drug. Food, that's a drug too, it spurs the release of dopamine much like other drugs hence the term dope. You know you can overdose on water and oxygen as well. Both are technically toxic and like pretty much everything else need to be taken in moderation.

Alcohol is also a drug, one that you can overdose on. Alcohol is actually really nasty because it's, aside from food, the only drug where one can die from withdraw which is why hard core alcoholics in rehab are put onto a step down program rather than cold turkey quit like other drugs.

Anti-depressants are also drugs, but since they're synthetic and make a lot of money for corporations, they don't have patents on pot, they're perfectly legal.

P.S. Part of what I was talking about in my last post. Refusal to accept that which is different than you. Not everybody likes pot, those that don't like it assume it's wrong because otherwise they'd like it. Well, if warrior ants thought it was wrong to dig then they'd imprison drone ants and completely destroy the entire colony.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Blah blah blah.

Any reason to get high I suppose.

I don't care if you want to go and get high or not, but the truth of the matter is that illicit drugs destroy lives. But who cares, right? As long as one can get high. That's the important thing.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Who determines what is and what is not illicit? Do "illicit" drugs destroy lives because the inanimate drug is 'evil' or because the drug does not fit into the artificial construct of the imagination called civilization?

What do the democrats think when a republican makes something illegal? What do republicans think when a democrat makes something illegal? Who's right, the democrat or the republican? Neither of them have been able to create a world free from fear, hate, violence, intolerance and war.

Truthfully all of our politicians make promises they never keep, that makes them dishonest. Why should I trust their opinion on what should and should not be? You do not like pot, I do not like alcohol. What if I ganged up with a lot of like minds on the subject and took alcohol away from those that do like it? Such a thing happened once before, it didn't go over well. I do not like alcohol, but I have nothing against it, go ahead and drink if that's your cup of tea. It's not mine, but you took mine away from me because you think Earl Grey is good, but English Breakfast ruins lives.

You know peanuts are a good source of protein for many, but they can ruin the lives of those that are allergic. Should peanuts be illegal? They can ruin lives ya know.

P.S. In short, what's good for one can be bad for another.

edit on 23-6-2012 by Symbiot because: misplaced comma bugged me

P.P.S. I should add that you've probably never personally taken my cup of tea away from me, but you probably pay the salaries of those that do. That makes you their employer does it not? And if you didn't pay their salary would they gang up and beat me for drinking that cup of tea?
edit on 23-6-2012 by Symbiot because: P.P.S.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiot

Society and congress gets to determine it, not you.

If you have a beef, try to convince people you're right. Then take it to congress to get it into legislation. That's how it works.

Other than that, all you're doing is opening your mouth with a bunch of crap that just states all you want to do is get high.

It's all blah blah blah to me and you're not going to convince me that you're right. You're not, you're just a pothead/druggie who wants to get high and will use any excuse and reason to do so.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I was born in 61 so I consider myself a end times "Proud" end of the hippy era hippy. WE believe in peaceful resoutions. love one another regardless your skin color. live off the earth as much as possible. use only what you need and use it until it is no longer useable. I have a truck nearing 350,000 miles until it stops starting I will not buy another vehicle and when i do it will be used. I give to those in need when i can. and yes hemp is good, even george washing, benjamin franklin, you know the founding fore fathers they would agree with me.
When us hippies do get involved in the civil movement to overhaul the entire government from city to state to government it will be the hippies of my generations who will bring it out in full force.
We know how to protest without buckling under the the elitist.
So much more but im tired of bragging on for us true hippies. O and one last comment, we NEVER and I mean NEVER would had then nor know turn our backs on our retiring elders
edit on 23-6-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Really? I'm pretty sure it's nature's call. Society only says they get to say what should and should not be, but in reality they cannot stop nature from growing marijuana. The truth is that society CANNOT make laws, only nature can and natures laws are called the laws of physics. The only laws that exist in reality are the laws of physics. Our made up laws don't actually exist. You think you're laws exist? Then how is it that I am able to toke up from time to time even though your laws say I can't? I cannot break the laws of physics, but I do not have to follow the laws of man. Why? The laws of man don't actually exist except in the imagination of those that believe in them.

You don't even know me and yet here you are saying that you know what I want to do and apparently all I want to do is get high. I do enjoy a good high, but if you've ever checked my web-site you'd notice that I enjoy other things as well, such as programming games and applications. I'm just a druggie, I guess druggies enjoy doing calculus on a daily basis.

P.S. I'll be a bit more specific here since not everyone knows what goes into game and application creation. If you've ever played a game you might notice in the credits that there's generally a team of animators, a team of texture artists, a team of modelers, a team of GUI programmers, a team of level designers and a team of AI programmers. I do all of that by myself. The work of what, 30 or so people? Animation, modeling, texturing, GUI/Level/AI programming.

Just a druggie though right? Ya know my latest work in progress game makes extensive use of rigidbody/rag-doll physics. But that's just the drugs talking I guess eh?

P.P.S. I also write my own HTML using GEdit (Linux, similar to notepad but with scripting highlights), create and design my own layouts and every single graphic on my site. That avatar up there, that was me BTW. Happy ATSing

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just more bullcrap blah blah blah to me. It doesn't matter what druggies do in their spare time, all they want to do is get high, and being a druggie invalidates anything else they do.

You really should never had said that because if I were your boss and I saw that I'd fire you.

Then I'd blacklist you for being a druggie.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

For the record I do not have a boss, like I said I believe in freedom and freedom does not involve taking orders. I am my own king. I believe I said I did ALL of my own work, even created music from scratch for one of my games. Moreover my wallpapers, games and applications have been downloaded and enjoyed across the world, I wonder if those people knew I sometimes smoked would they enjoy the programs less?

I have, in fact, brought enjoyment to at least some people. Does the fact that I smoke make it so that even though they enjoyed it they actually didn't enjoy it? Doesn't really make any logical sense does it?

Like I said, I have no boss. I am free to do and say as I please, they cannot control me or my actions via their threats and desire to take away. I bow before no one. True they've placed sanctions upon me because I refuse to bow before their iron fists, but I'm much happier a free man with little than a caged man with a large belly.

You can call them cubicles if you like, some places call'em pods hahaha, but you can't conceal their true nature.

P.S. I do my best to be as honest as possible so I should clarify that I have actually only created the SFX for one of my games, the others use royalty free SFX available on-line. So I guess I don't do ALL of my own work, only 90 or so percent.

SFX = Sound effects

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In other words you're unhirable because you do drugs. Good job being free.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
vegan

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

No, I used to have a job as an IT worker. I quit when I realized just who it was that I was working for. I quit when I realized I had been touting freedom my whole life, but wasn't actually free and the country I thought loved freedom as much as I was actually into taking it away with lethal precision.

They say freedom, but only if you fall in line. So how is that freedom again? You're free, but only if you do what you're told, otherwise your money is taken away, your home is taken away, your friends are taken away, your food is taken away, you are laughed at and ridiculed and often jailed. You're free, you are free to follow someone else's made up rules. You're free, free to do what you're told. You're free, free to get whipped by your "supervisors." You're free, so free that you cannot speak to friends and family between the hours of 9am and 5pm. You're free, so free that you cannot sleep in or stay out late. You're free, so free that you cannot eat unless it's within your designated eating period.

You know that old country did this to themselves. They taught me to love freedom, so should it come as any surprise that I refuse their imprisonment?

P.S. They also taught me to love equality and I do, so should it come as any surprise that I refuse a society that says they love equality, but have people designated as "superiors." How is it that two people are equal if one is superior to the other?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Just more bullcrap blah blah blah to me. It doesn't matter what druggies do in their spare time, all they want to do is get high, and being a druggie invalidates anything else they do.

You really should never had said that because if I were your boss and I saw that I'd fire you.

Then I'd blacklist you for being a druggie.

Well my thought is there's tons of drugs out there. And for example coffee is way way more addictive that weed ever is. And if you have too much coffee you get a high. You're all jittery, your heart is racing, your moving around twice the speed you'd normally function at. And the dr will tell you get off the drinking smoking and "coffee" if you have health problems. Yet were okay with coffee?

Alcohol and tabacco are also both very addictive. both terrible for your body and both legal. Weed on the other hand doesn't give you lung cancer. There's been no reported lung cancer or other cancer cases by way of smoking weed. Cuz it has not toxic chemicals in it. Far less addictive than coffee liquor or smoking. No hang over the next day. And a better high. Like if you've never made love to girl on weed then you don't know what you're missing. It's so crazy. It's not like drinking that numbs the senses. The senses get heightended on weed and you bliss out. It's weird. Anyway I think it's no different than drinking smoking or coffee. If youd done those then you've done drugs. Each to there own but weed is a good opinion. Much safer than those legal drugs thats' for sure.

You know if I had known what I know now about business and all that I would have never gone into business. Such an utter waste of a persons life. Even if you run a business or say work in the corporate world and do a fine job, well the axe could fall at any moment. And it's almost a guarantee it will. And if it lands hard it might even break you. Like you might not be able to just pick up the peices and move on. Or if you do it will be a long hard journey back to success. It's so not even worth it. You work your azz off to get ahead, you slave like a dog like 12 hours a day. Then some beauracrat, mid level manager, boss or whatever comes around and just randomly decides, I don't think I like this guy. I think we'll give him the axe. And your screwed. All that you worked so hard for, all those years of blood sweat and tears gone in an instant. Like talk about a waste of time.

Of course you still have to make a living. But I think there's a lot to be said about just figuring out a way to make enough to cover your basic necessities and that's it. If you stick your neck out and try and stand out in this society, here's what seems to happen. You become the wooly sheep. And someone will come to sheir you. YOu stick your neck out and it gets chopped off. It's much easier and better to just not try so hard. Not try and be some super success. Just live a simple life, just make enough to make ends meet, don't try so hard, and just try to make up more time freedom to do what you want in life. That way your not looked at as the wooly sheep, no ones' gonna come give you the axe cuz there's not enough to cut down. All the endless bosses and beaurcrates will basically leave you alone for the most part. And you can just enjoy a simple easy care free life without all the problems, headaches, worries, stresses and BS that comes along with trying to get ahead in our society. I think all this propaganda we're feed about getting ahead is just basically a scam. Your brainwashed to think you should go do that early on in life. So you go out and you want to become successful. But that's the whole point you're becoming the wooly sheep, the one to be shiered. There's tons and tons of orgnaizations out there that there whole job is to sheir the wooly sheep. Like the eye r s for example. They see your making some money, it's like okay great here's another one to go rob from. Talk about a scam. And again all you worked for goes down the drain.

As for me I just spent all my money that I had and I'm not gonna try anymore. I was that wooly sheep but sure enough all the robbers came out of the wood work to steal it all. And I'm glad I have very little now. Even if I had big debt. At least now that they came and took everything there's nothing left to worry about losing. My philosophy now is just to live a simple life. Try to make ends meet. Don't stick your neck out, don't try too hard, and just enough what little freedom you got. I don't know call me jaded or whatever, but it's hard not to be after you lose everything. I mean to even think about trying to start over again it's just rediculous. it's like why, just so I can get sheired again by the theives out there? Forget it. Sorry I'm ranting a bit. But I just think that after I get some of my issues out of the way I'm just gonna live like a hobo, or a hippie. Like read Matthew 6:25. Jesus basically said to live a simple life.
edit on 23-6-2012 by r2d246 because: hhh

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here's a bit of irony for you. They taught me to love freedom and fight tyranny. Oddly enough I am doing what I was taught. Loving freedom and fighting tyranny.

I loved you America. I loved you so much. You were my hero for the longest time. There was a time when I would've died for you. Instead it was you. My superman died when I learned he was only a pack of lies. It was the best of times and it was the worst of times. The person I am today was born in a hurricane of emotional chaos. I loved you and you hated me with such ferocity that you tricked me into believing that you loved me too. Nothing but a liar and a cheat.

They took it all from me too. Kicked in the door, threw me behind bars, days later exiled entirely.

I still love you, you are my brother, my father, my mother, my sister, but even though I love you I cannot be with you. You taught me to fight you and are surprised when I fight you?
edit on 23-6-2012 by Symbiot because: typo

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

SO BEHAVE!

And follow the rules of society or you'll get stomped.

That's the way America really works.

You've got to conform, or die.

Sad but true.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

The ant colony proves that the needs of the many do not outweigh the needs of the few. The ants do not keep track or dull out rations.

The needs of the many? They need freedom. By America's own words they need freedom.

Edit: I'm going to try and be more proactive about stating that it is only in my opinion. It is in my opinion that the ant colony proves what I said it proves. In the past I rarely state that I am only stating my opinion and been called out on it several times. Generally I assume that people know it's my opinion and it would seem that they usually do, but don't like it if I don't say it.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join