It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we, American citizens, NOT allowed to know what's in our food.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I am so sick and tired of our government side stepping important issues, such as the food we eat.

It is my right to bear arms. It is also my right to know which foods are GMO foods and which are not!!!

US Congress AND American Medical Association Votes No on Food Labeling

Posted by theGIC.org on June 22, 2012

Read more: www.thegic.org...

I just don't understand when numerous States are requesting that labels be put on foods regarding GMO so the consumers can choose for themselves as to whether or not we want to eat that crap or not.

It's my RIGHT to choose what foods I want to eat and yet the gov. is denying me my rights by not allowing labels to be put on the products.

The Senate on Thursday rejected an amendment by Sen. Bernie Sanders to let states require clear labels on any food or beverage containing genetically engineered ingredients. The vote on the amendment to the farm bill was 26 to 73. "This is the very first time a bill on labeling genetically engineered food has been brought before the Senate. It was opposed by virtually every major food corporation in the country. While we wish we could have gotten more votes, this is a good step forward and something we are going to continue to work on. The people of Vermont and the people of America have a right to know what's in the food that they eat." Read more: www.thegic.org...

In the past year, 36 bills dealing with the labeling of genetically engineered foods have been introduced in Vermont, Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Washington and West Virginia.

HELLO CONGRESS AND AMA...... ANY ONE HOME??????

I realize you guys don't care but I DO.......as do millions of other people nation wide.

Read this line of BS from the prestigious American Medical Assoc.:

The AMA formal statement reads, in part: “Our AMA believes that as of June 2012, there is no scientific justification for special labeling of bioengineered foods, as a class, and that voluntary labeling is without value unless it is accompanied by focused consumer education.”

“The AMA’s rejection of mandatory labeling is consistent with the overwhelming majority of respected medical doctors, scientists and health experts that have concluded that foods made with the benefits of modern biotechnology are safe, and that labeling of these foods is unnecessary,” said Kathy Fairbanks, spokesperson for the Coalition Against the Costly Food Labeling Proposition.

A few years ago, one of the board members for AMA also happened to be with Monsanto. So I still wonder if they have their goons lurking still in the AMA.

Unlike people in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Brazil, China, Russia, New Zealand and other countries where labels are required, Americans don't know if the food they eat has been genetically altered.

Of course, our people claim that it's safe,regardless that no long term testing has been done. So we're just supposed to take their word for it.......yeah, right.

All they care about is the almighty DOLLAR $$$$$$... and we are the guinea pigs, the lab rats.

There was concern among scientists at the FDA in the 1990s that genetically engineered foods could have new and different risks such as hidden allergens, increased plant-toxin levels and the potential to hasten the spread of antibiotic-resistant disease. Those concerns were largely brushed aside.

Today, unanswered questions remain. In the United States, resolutions calling for labeling of genetically engineered foods were passed by the American Public Health Association and the American Nurses Association.

In Canada, a landmark independent study by Canadian doctors published in the peer-reviewed journal Reproductive Toxicology found that toxin from soil bacterium engineered into corn to kill pests was present in the bloodstream of 93 percent of pregnant women.

There is a great need for additional research because there have never been mandatory human clinical trials of genetically engineered crops, no tests for carcinogenicity or harm to fetuses, no long-term testing for human health risks, no requirement for long-term testing on animals, and only limited allergy testing.

What this means is that, for all intents and purposes, the long-term health study of genetically engineered food is being done on all of the American people.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I don't know about you guys, but this really chaps my azz, big time. Maybe, 15-20 years from now, or maybe sooner, we'll find out what the side affects of GMO is. We ARE the "test subjects".

I still say, as an American citizen, it's my God given Right to be able to choose what foods I eat. And I can't very well make the right decisions if I don't have all the facts.

We need proper labels on the food products [GMO] so we have the knowledge to make a choice...OUR choice, not the gov. or big corps.....

Screw them.......

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Even if you were told how do you know its true? You could set up your own lab, but most of the scientists who would apply to work there would be illuminist controlled.

Grow a garden and raise your own cows & chickens. Not an option? Guess I will see you at Mcds.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I realize you guys don't care but I DO.......as do millions of other people nation wide.

Such a broad assumption can only come from someone NOT doing their homework on ATS.

Many of us do care and there are perhaps 1,000's of threads on the subject of food, consumption rights, Monsanto...etc.

Although your thread is relevant, you are preaching to the choir. Please search more of our threads and discover how much we really do care. You will also find that many of us are very knowledgeable on the subject and that we have gone much deeper down the rabbit hole than what you are presenting.

Good thread but highly presumptuous, vague and not very ground breaking.

Americans will still eat at the Golden Arches because it's cheap and has always been designed to be that way.

Fast Food Nation...comes to mind.

Welcome to ATS.

Peace

edit on 23-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Don't really agree with it but here's one argument

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

At least now you begin to understand why extraterrestrials are here. If their genetic structure has faults or is deteriorating, then maybe genetically altered food will explain why to you all! We are here to learn from them, so why aren't you all? Something so plain and right in front of you, but most still stay blind to the facts!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
We are not allowed because if we knew, those evil companies would lose money and nothing in life is more important than money... right?

This is fascism.
The government isn't there for the people anymore and it's time everyone knew this fact.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
cuz it's all a big conspiracy that's why ha ha

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

People tend to avoid eating poison on purpose.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
uh, DUHHHH!
Because human chattel feed is meant to be proprietary knowledge. What a silly thread.
You don't think they will just tell you that there is human dna in food do ya?
I mean come on man, use some common sense.
Soylent Green is people!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The PTB want us all to be fat,dumb and slow...it will make it easier to
catch us when it is time to go to camp fema.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
How is it that YOU say were not ALLOWED to know? I know. Ive eaten organic for 35 years. I know exactly whats in it. I can research it, look it up whatever. Its not hidden.

Anyone who care can look into what they put in themselves.

Youre mistaken to say we are not ALLOWED to know. Too lazy to find out maybe...certainly ALLOWED to.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Youre mistaken to say we are not ALLOWED to know. Too lazy to find out maybe...certainly ALLOWED to.

It's not that you are wrong but this isn't the issue in hand.

This is 2012, people are busy, people don't really have time or access to organic products on a daily basis.
Everyone now and then doesn't have time to cook a meal from fresh products from the farm, so yeah, I want to know if my frozen pizza has GM in it.

I want to know and I want those companies to tell us because they KNOW that we will ASK for non gmo products with our capitalism voting power and THEN companies will HAVE to change their ingredients.

Anything in mass market becomes the cheapest thing to do, if people want gmo free, this is what they will produce more and this is what will cost less.

In the end, we would ALL WIN with gmo labeling even companies, after readjusting, would still see the same % of profits.

You too would win, because you could feel "safe" to eat anywhere instead of always trusting only your common products that you trust.
I, for one, am getting sick of needing to be a food guru to eat safely and the common people shouldn't have to over worry with what they eat like I do to be healthy in the long run.

Of course, since sick people are capitalized.
They really don't care if we get sick, they own the pharmaceutical companies to keep us going like DOCILE zombies. So I doubt gmo labeling will happen soon unless people protest.

edit on 23-6-2012 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I was referring to the greedy Corps. and gov. officials, not the general public nor ATS people.

Sorry for the confusion.....

And I put this in the RANT forum so I could bitch..... sorry if I disrespected any one here, that was not my intention.

Just venting.....

My bad.....APOLOGIES

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain

People tend to avoid eating poison on purpose.

Most of the foods people buy in a grocery store contain GMO. I believe it's about 70% of the food we eat contain it.

On another thread a poster had a link to the brands that have GMO in their food and it covered just about every name brand that people use. So most are eating that crap whether you want to or not.......
edit on 23-6-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

How is it that YOU say were not ALLOWED to know? I know. Ive eaten organic for 35 years. I know exactly whats in it. I can research it, look it up whatever. Its not hidden.

I never said that we're not allowed to know..... that's the Congress and AMA that decided there is no reason to state on labels what's got GMO in it or which companies use it. That's what I was upset about. TPTB deciding for us what they think we should know.

Me, I'd like to know what products contain it and then it's up to me if I choose to use it or not. That simple.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

That's great that you've eaten organic for 35 years. HOWEVER, that being said, here is a list of "normal" every day things that the public buys that may not be aware of GMO in them:

Cereal

GENETICALLY ENGINEERED INGREDIENTS

General Mills Cheerios Wheaties Total Corn Chex Lucky Charms Trix Kix Golden Grahams Cinnamon Grahams Count Chocula Honey Nut Chex Frosted Cheerios Apple Cinnamon Cheerios Multi-Grain Cheerios Frosted Wheaties Brown Sugar & Oat Total Basic 4 Reeses Puffs French Toast Crunch

Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Corn Flakes Special K Raisin Bran Rice Krispies Corn Pops Product 19 Smacks Froot Loops Marshmallow Blasted Fruit Loops Apple Jacks Crispix Smart Start All-Bran Complete Wheat Bran Complete Oat Bran Just Right Fruit & Nut Honey Crunch Corn Flakes Raisin Bran Crunch Cracklin' Oat Bran Country Inn Specialties
(all varieties)

Mothers Cereals
(Quaker) Toasted Oat Bran Peanut Butter Bumpers Groovy Grahams Harvest Oat Flakes Harvest Oat Flakes w/Apples & Almonds Honey Round Ups

(Kraft-Phillip Morris) Raisin Bran Bran Flakes Grape Nut Flakes Grape Nut O's Fruit & Fibre date, raisin and walnut Fruit & Fibre peach, raisin and almond Honey Bunch of Oats Honey Nut Shredded Wheat Honey Comb Golden Crisp Waffle Crisp Cocoa Pebbles Cinna-Crunch Pebbles Fruity Pebbles Alpha-Bits Post Selects Cranberry Almond Post Selects Banana Nut Crunch Post Selects Blueberry Morning Post Selects Great Grains

Quaker Life Cinnamon Life 100% Natural Granola Toasted Oatmeal Toasted Oatmeal Honey Nut Oat Bran Cap'n Crunch Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch Cap'n Crunch Crunchling Berries

Chocolate:
OMG It's even in chocolate and my one of my favorites - Toblerone!!!!!!

candy

Cadbury
(Cadbury/Hershey's) Mounds Almond Joy York Peppermint Patty Dairy Milk Roast Almond Fruit & Nut

Hershey's Kit-Kat Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Mr. Goodbar Special Dark Milk Chocolate Kisses Symphony

Kraft
(Kraft/Phillip Morris) Toblerone
(all varieties)

Mars M&M
(all varieties) Snickers Three Musketeers Milky Way Twix

Nestle Crunch Milk Chocolate Chunky Butterfinger 100 Grand

drink mixes and dessert toppings

Carnation
(Nestle) Hot Cocoa Mixes: Rich Chocolate Double Chocolate Milk Chocolate Marshmallow Madness Mini Marshmallow No Sugar

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup Special Dark Chocolate Syrup Strawberry Syrup

Nestle Nesquik Strawberry Nesquik

Swiss Miss
(ConAgra) Hot Cocoa Mixes: Chocolate

Condiments:

Del Monte
(Nabisco/Phillip Morris) Ketchup

Heinz Ketchup
(regular & no salt) Chili Sauce Cocktail Sauce Heinz 57 Steak Sauce

Hellman's
(Bestfoods) Real Mayonnaise Light Mayonnaise Low-Fat Mayonnaise

Hunt's
(ConAgra) Ketchup
(regular & no salt)

KC Masterpiece
(Clorox) Original BBQ sauce Garlic & Herb Marinade Honey Teriyaki Marinade

Kraft
(Kraft/Phillip Morris) Miracle Whip
(all varieties) Kraft Mayonnaise
(all) Thick & Spicy BBQ sauces
(all varieties) Char Grill BBQ sauce Honey Hickory BBQ sauce

Nabisco
(Nabiso/Phillip Morris) A-1 Steak Sauce

Open Pit
(Vlasic/Campbells) BBQ sauces

all)

salsa

Chi-Chi's
(Hormel) Fiesta Salsa
(all varieties)

Old El Paso
(Pillsbury) Thick & Chunky Salsa Garden Pepper Salsa Taco Sauce Picante Sauce

Ortega
(Nestle) Taco Sauce Salsa Prima Homestyle Salsa Prima Roasted Garlic Salsa Prima 3 Bell Pepper Thick & Chunky Salsa

Pace
(Campbells) Chunky Salsa Picante Sauce

Tostitos Salsa
(Frito-Lay/Pepsi) All Natural All Natural Thick & Chunky Roasted Garlic Restaurant Style

Snack Foods:

Act II Microwave Popcorn
(ConAgra) Butter Extreme Butter Corn on the Cob

Frito-Lay*
(PepsiCo) Lays Potato Chips
(all varieties) Ruffles Potato Chips
(all) Doritos Corn Chips
(all) Tostitos Corn Chips
(all) Fritos Corn Chips
(all) Cheetos
(all) Rold Gold Pretzels
(all) Cracker Jack Popcorn

Healthy Choice Microwave Popcorn
(ConAgra) Organic Corn
(soy/canola oils)

Mothers Corn Cakes
(Quaker) Butter Pop

Orville Redenbacher Microwave Popcorn
(ConAgra) Original Homestyle Butter Smart Pop Pour Over

Orville Redenbacher Popcorn Cakes Chocolate Caramel

Orville Redenbacher Mini Popcorn Cakes Butter Peanut Caramel Chocolate Peanut

Pop Secret Microwave Popcorn

(Betty Crocker/General Mills) Natural Homestyle Jumbo Pop Extra Butter Light 94% Fat Free Butter

Pringles
(Procter & Gamble) Original Low Fat Pizza-licious Sour Cream & Onion Salt & Vinegar Cheezeums

Quaker Rice Cakes Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Cinnamon Streusel Mini Chocolate Ranch Sour Cream & Onion Apple Cinnamon Caramel Corn

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I know that I do not consume GMO's because I am extremely careful. I know where my food is coming from if I didn't grow it myself. I happen to live in an area that makes it easy, with lots of organic family farms and ranches near by.
Call your locally owned grocery stores and ask them to provide food that are GMO free. One local store do to outcry now has an organic / GMO free isle.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Soda and Juices:

sodas

Coca Cola Coca Cola Sprite Cherry Coke Barq's Root Beer Minute Maid Orange Minute Maid Grape Surge Ultra

PepsiCo Pepsi Slice Wild Cherry Pepsi Mug Root Beer Mountain Dew

Cadbury/Schweppes 7-Up Dr. Pepper A & W Root Beer Sunkist Orange Schweppes Ginger Ale

juice drinks

Capri Sun juices
(Kraft/Phillip Morris) Red Berry Surfer Cooler Splash Cooler Wild Cherry Strawberry Kiwi Fruit Punch Pacific Cooler Strawberry Orange Grape

Fruitopia
(Coca Cola) Grape Beyond Berry Lemonade Fruit Integration Kiwiberry Ruckus Strawberry Passion Tremendously Tangerine

Fruit Works
(PepsiCo) Strawberry Melon Peach Papaya Pink Lemonade Apple Raspberry

Gatorade
(Quaker) Lemon Lime Orange Fruitpunch Fierce Grape Frost Riptide Rush

Hawaiian Punch
(Procter & Gamble) Tropical Fruit Grape Geyser Fruit Juicy Red Strawberry Surfin

Hi-C
(Coca Cola) Pink Lemonade Watermelon Rapids Boppin' Berry Tropical Punch Smashin' Wildberry Blue Cooler Blue Moon Berry Orange Cherry

Kool Aid
(Kraft/Phillip Morris) Blastin' Berry Cherry Bluemoon Berry Kickin' Kiwi Lime Tropical Punch Wild Berry Tea

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail Cranapple CranGrape CranRaspberry CranStrawberry CranMango

Squeeze It
(Betty Crocker/General Mills) Rockin' Red Puncher Chucklin' Cherry Mystery 2000

Sunny Delight
(Procter & Gamble) Sunny Delight Original Sunny Delight With Calcium Citrus Punch Sunny Delight California Style Citrus Punch

Tang juices
(Kraft/Phillip Morris) Orange Uproar Fruit Frenzy Berry Panic

Tropicana Twisters
(PepsiCo) Grape Berry Apple Raspberry Blackberry Cherry Berry Cranberry Raspberry Strawberry Pink Grapefruit Tropical Strawberry Orange Cranberry Orange Strawberry Banana

V-8
(Campbells) V8 Tomato Juices
(all varieties) Strawberry Kiwi Strawberry Banana Fruit Medley Berry Blend Citrus Blend Apple Medley Tropical Blend Island Blend

Soup:

Campbell's Tomato Chicken Noodle Cream of Chicken Cream of Mushroom Cream of Celery Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Green Pea Healthy Request

* Chicken Noodle
* Cream of Chicken
* Cream of Mushroom
* Cream of Celery

* Campbell's Select
o Roasted Chicken with Rice
o Grilled Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
o Chicken Rice
o Vegetable Beef
* Chunky
o Beef with Rice
o Hearty Chicken & Vegetable
o Pepper Steak
o Baked Potato with Steak & Cheese
o New England Clam Chowder
* Soup to Go
o Chicken Noodle
o Chicken Rice
o Garden Vegetable
o Vegetable Beef & Rice
* Simply Home
o Chicken Noodle
o Chicken Rice
o Garden Vegetable
o Vegetable Beef with Pasta

Healthy Choice
(ConAgra)
* Country Vegetable
* Fiesta Chicken
* Bean & Pasta
* Chicken Noodle
* Chicken with Rice
* Minestrone

Pepperidge Farms
(Campbell's)
* Corn Chowder
* Lobster Bisque
* Chicken & Wild Rice
* New England Clam Chowder
* Crab Soup

Progresso
(Pillsbury)
* Tomato Basil
* Chicken Noodle
* Chicken & Wild Rice
* Chicken Barley
* Lentil
* New England Clam Chowder
* Zesty Herb Tomato
* Roasted Chicken with Rotini
* Fat Free Minestrone
* Fat Free Chicken Noodle
* Fat Free Lentil
* Fat Free Roast Chicken

Tomato Sauces:

Del Monte
(Nabisco/Phillip Morris) Tomato Sauce

Five Brothers Pasta Sauces
(Lipton/Unilever) Summer Vegetable Five Cheese Roasted Garlic & Onion Tomato & Basil

Healthy Choice Pasta Sauces
(ConAgra) Traditional Garlic & Herb Sun-Dried Tomato & Herb

Hunts
(ConAgra) Traditional Spaghetti Sauce Four Cheese Spaghetti Sauce Tomato Sauce Tomato Paste

Prego Pasta Sauces
(Campbells) Tomato, Basil & Garlic Fresh Mushroom Ricotta Parmesan Meat Flavored Roasted Garlic & Herb Three Cheese Mini-Meatball Chicken with Parmesan

Ragu Sauces (Lipton/Unilever) Old World Traditional Old World with Meat Old World Marinara Old World with Mushrooms Ragu Robusto Parmesan & Romano Ragu Robusto Roasted Garlic Ragu Robusto Sweet Italian Sausage Ragu Robusto Six Cheese Ragu Robusto Tomato, Olive Oil & Garlic Ragu Robusto Classic Italian Meat Chunky Garden Style Super Garlic Chunky Garden Style Garden Combo Chunky Garden Style Tomato, Garlic & Onion Chunky Garden Style Tomato, Basil & Italian Cheese Pizza Quick Traditional

----------------------------------------

I know we ALL use one or more of these brand of products..... it would be nice though to have it posted on a label .

That's all I was trying to get at.... that the corps. and gov. should let us, the people, choose what we put in our body. Unfortunately, the almighty dollar is their top goal $$$$$$...not us.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You did in fact say..."Why are we...American citizens, NOT allowed to know..." thats right in your title here.

I noticed everything you had listed is commercial-processed foods (very bad buying brands too!)...Well...I did go thru your entire list...and there isnt ANYTHING on that 100 or so items I eat. They are all laden with things hard to understand AND are printed right on the labels...(except maybe the ferlizers and additives that are wacked...).

I think the 1 thing I may eat once in awhile...might be Heinz ketsup.

I eat no cereals, coffees or pop-sodas...no candies, ice creams etc, hardly any red meat..no chips, snacks, dips, jellies..or any of the things on your list..

My wife and I have a low, LOW food bill..and I drink tons of water, juices.

So, even though I dont..I can eat anything I want...but choose not to. Probably because ever since the governments started REQUIRING labels....Ive been READING them.

PS I just think your thread title is inaccurate...peace!

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Appreciate your input.....

The reason for the title, maybe it is worded wrong, was because the Supreme Court ruled that the companies did not need to put labels on their products regarding the GMO. If they had made the companies put new labels on their products concerning GMO, then the consumer could make their own choice as to whether or not they would want to eat it.

In other countries, they make the companies put on the labels if they are GM foods..... which I like that idea.
That was what my rant was about, TPTB think that we don't need to know what's in our food. Of course, the big corps will get their way, big money.....

So that's why I posted some of the known brands for those, like me, that did not know about them. That's all.

And yeah, it irks me that they have to mess with the food that we eat.

Sorry for the misinterpretation of the title.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join