It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Advice From A Writer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So I was thinking out loud on this site (as usual), and I came up with a great idea for a book. My question is now that I've already screwed up by posting my idea on this site, what steps should I take to protect my interests? I've taken pictures of the thread, and I copied my story guideline and first chapter, then I mailed it to myself. Is there anything else I can do to keep from getting ripped off?

Also, this is my first book and I'm having a little trouble. Would any of you be willing to co-author the book with me?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Should I copyright my book idea?Hope it helps a little.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Double post, and I don't know why.
edit on 22-6-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think people tend to overthink the notion of having their ideas stolen, it's a bit paranoid, really (of course, this is ATS). I'm a musician, and I've met other musicians who were so afraid that others would steal their songs that they wouldn't share their recordings...ha! Just write the book, don't worry so much about it.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just write the book first. Remember, just because someone else saw your post and idea doesn't mean they have the skill or ability or desire to make it into a bestseller.

Can't wait to read it....when you get it published please let us know!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just write the book first. Remember, just because someone else saw your post and idea doesn't mean they have the skill or ability or desire to make it into a bestseller.

Can't wait to read it....when you get it published please let us know!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice guys and gals.
I'm already on the fourth chapter after only a few days of writing. The creative juices are flowing, but the editing is going to be a nightmare lol.

On a sidenote, 2 double posts and it took a minute before my OP showed up in the new topics column. Still think I'm being paranoid?
edit on 22-6-2012 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
2 books published worldwide, new one coming...authored 75+ articles as well

And yes...protect your work, Library of Congress when completed

send me a U2U with any questions

I wont answer on-forum

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Get an agent!

The best advice I could give.

My first book, I had it edited (my agent had someone on retainer) and the editor was a former nazi prison guard.
(I kid)
She was a retired english prof.

The nazi would have been nicer!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Get an agent!

Where do I find one of those? I'm new at this remember. lol

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

Originally posted by beezzer
Get an agent!

Where do I find one of those? I'm new at this remember. lol

Patience. 99% of agents won't even look at a manuscript until it's complete.

On-line, book fairs, writing seminars, writers groups.

I went on-line, myself. Got turned down a billion times (no kidding!) until someone accepted me.

Whatever genre you're writing in, see if there's a local group along the same lines.

Networking is good also.

If it's good, AND complete, I'll recommend my agent if you want.

But finish it first!!!!!

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Too late, I already wrote "1001 things to do with old shoe laces" so you'll have to come up with another idea.

lol.

Seriously, write the book first, then consider the implications of publication.
Some say there's a book in all of us so go for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Okay thanks a bunch Beezer. I think I'm gonna have to take a break from ATS for a while and focus a little more, but that might require a straight jacket.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Okay thanks a bunch Beezer. I think I'm gonna have to take a break from ATS for a while and focus a little more, but that might require a straight jacket.

You're not saying anything new. I'm currently collaborating on a book and I'm overdue.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Too late, I already wrote "1001 things to do with old shoe laces" so you'll have to come up with another idea.

Now that's just downright creepy! Did you hack into my computer? How else could you have possibly known?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

So I was thinking out loud on this site (as usual), and I came up with a great idea for a book. My question is now that I've already screwed up by posting my idea on this site, what steps should I take to protect my interests? I've taken pictures of the thread, and I copied my story guideline and first chapter, then I mailed it to myself. Is there anything else I can do to keep from getting ripped off?

Also, this is my first book and I'm having a little trouble. Would any of you be willing to co-author the book with me?

Having someone meddling in YOUR idea can be very VERY frustrating!

I've won some insignificant writing contests, published a few times in my local college magazine, and had a few short stories for sale on Amazon. I have two novels waiting to be edited (and never will be). I've taken courses in screenwriting, short stories, Eng Comp I and II.

The only advice I can give you, you don't need! Your OP shows that you write easy-to-follow sentences. A weak plot that is well-written has a better chance of being published than a GREAT plot written poorly.

Soooo, JUST DO IT!

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You can copyright text, but tou can't copyright titles or ideas. Your copyright begins when you write it. You need not register with the Library of Congress, though this can be important because it proves you wrote it by the time you submitted it. So if someone claimed copyright on your stuff two years later you could produce the LC paperwork to prove you were the author.

If you publish something on ATS you don't "lose" the copyright, but you do give ATS non-exclusive perpetual use of the material. In essence, you have given them a license to your work.

If someone sees your work here and it sparks them to write a similar book, even with the same title, that's legal.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Good luck. I just began to write my first book. I am going to write a book about my experiences in the military and the war as therapy. I have had some of the same questions as you and thanks to some of the people in this thread I now have the answers.

new topics

top topics

join