It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court strikes down FCC rulings on profanity, nudity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down an FCC policy regulating curse words on broadcast television.

In an 8-0 decision, the high court ruled against the Federal Communications Commission.

The case involved some uncensored curse words and brief nudity on various networks, including Fox. The FCC levied fines in some of these cases.

Link

I didn't see this one coming, But i agree with the courts rulings. I wonder now how the FCC will response to this.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It looks like the scotus may be setting a precedent.
If this sticks, it could open a door for very lax profanity and nudity regulation on network TV. That would definitely stir up a hornets nest.
edit on 6/21/2012 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
That's a VERY misleading title and statement. If you actually read what the Supreme Court said, it in no way allows for future profanity or nudity on network television at all. It simply states that if the network did not know the nudity or profanity was coming (such as in a live broadcast) they could not be fined.

So, no more fines when a football player drops an F bomb and it's caught on a sideline microphone, and no more fines for a performer deciding to slip a nip on live television.

This does not cover anything prerecorded, therefore it does not open the door for any sitcom or drama to start cussing away in NBC.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

When I first went to the link, the article wasn't even half there. Now that I can read it all, it makes a lot more sense.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Actually, the ruling does not absolve the network for unforeseen profanity or nudity. All it does is state that the FCC cannot decide on a whim to tighten its established policies. Previous statements by the FCC which permitted brief unanticipated events were cited in the ruling as evidence that Fox was acting in accord with the regulations as they reasonably believed them to exist at the time.

The FCC can still crack down any time it wants, as long as it provides reasonable prior notice to those it regulates of the change in policy.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join