It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama asserts executive privilege on Fast and Furious documents

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War
Ron Paul = No War

FURTHER MORE OBAMA IS GUILTY, HOLDER IS GUILTY AND ROMNEY IS JUST AS CORRUPTED AND CROOKED...

YOU WANT A THIRD PARTY CANIDATE................ RON PAUL IS THE ONLY ONE LEFT
edit on 20-6-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

Shame that Ron Paul folded.....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
You know, this is starting to shape up like Nixon and Watergate. Just before all hell broke loose, there seemed to be the same climate and public outrage...

This is potentially far bigger than Watergate, should the media bother holding this administration accountable rather than protecting it. People are dead because of this, most of them across the border in Mexico, which makes this all the more problematic for this administration and for the entire government.

Now, by invoking executive privilege to cover their tracks, they've committed yet another abuse of power. Its disgusting, but exactly what I would expect from this administration.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

Did they go missing or did they get set aside for the next attack here in the US? Is that why obama clamped down the executive order?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by forevertruepatriot
This is total bull #. The president basically just exempted himself from the laws of our country. He, and his cohorts made a mistake, and this operation went south, and now instead of facing the music he is cowering behind his "executive privilege" like the scared dog that he is. I do not support this president. He is a traitor and a coward in my book.

And he's leveraging changes made by the previous president.... Unitary privilege....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Nspekta

Flashback!!! The only time this guy tells the truth, is when his mouth is shut1

Sounds like every other president in history. I don't know why when Obama does these things it creates an outrage that never quite existed under crazy George W.

Maybe Obama should let it go ahead and then Commute his sentence, pull a good ole Scooter Libby on their asses.

I don't agree with it, but the Eurisko's of the world who think Romney won't do the same thing are hilarious. People should have to pass an IQ test before ever being allowed to vote.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
He's basically admitted that he's a liar. He lied about not knowing anything about it, or Holder knowing anything about it. But when Holder is feeling the heat, suddenly they have something to hide.

Typical power-mad lying liberals.

Here is a breakdown of your average politicians' priorities:

1) Themselves
1a) Getting re-elected
1b) Getting wealthy (see #2)
1c) Increasing their position of power within their political realm (sitting on committees, etc.)
2) Their corporate donors
3) Their constituents

There are probably innumerable items I didn't think of, but those are the major ones.

Obama and Holder are trying to implement a dictatorship, make no mistake. They will ay and do ANYTHING to make that happen if they think they can get away with it. All they think they have to do is stall until their inevitable success.

I am betting against them.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
reply to post by Doalrite

Shame that Ron Paul folded.....

“Well, it looks like he has the delegates, yes,” Paul told Blitzer. “But he doesn’t have the control of the hearts and the minds of the people. And right now a lot of people — a lot of delegates who are pledged to vote for Romney are actually very strong supporters of ours and will be strongly supporting us when we want to put things into the platform that say, hey, we don’t need another war. Yes, we do need to audit the Federal Reserve. Yes, we ought to really cut spending.” Despite assurances from Rand Paul last week that he had discussed the Romney endorsement with his father, the senior Paul said he was not ready to fade away and vowed to fight on with his campaign all the way to the convention, even though victory is now impossible. “I think it’s legitimate for us to continue to debate,” Paul said. “I know they don’t want the debate at the convention. Everything has to be smooth and proper.” “But, you know, I helped pay for the convention because the taxpayers pay Republicans $18 million-plus. And Obama gets $18 million plus to have these grand parties. I think we should be serious and discuss differences.”

HE'S ALIVE! IT'S HAPPENING! Or something.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

This hypothetical individual does not exist. If he did, his ambition would lift him out of the "plight of the common man."

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

This hypothetical individual does not exist. If he did, his ambition would lift him out of the "plight of the common man."

He exists. People are just too stupid to ever elect him. Owwwwww a shiny political sign I'll vote for him! So my grandfather that worked 40 years as a logger had no ambition? He would use mules to drag logs out of the woods and worked 12 hour days. It wasn't a lack of ambition, it was a matter of getting into politics and selling your soul for it.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Your grandfather, like most working class men, had a different kind of ambition. To become a President in the society we actually live in requires one pursue the wealth and power to achieve such a goal. This is a different kind of ambition from say, a logger, an electrician or a musician.

No one would ever recognize such an individual as a viable candidate under the current paradigm. The only way I can see this changing in the short term is to elections by "solar lottery."

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
ruh roh obama

this could snowball

and the timing could not be worse

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Your grandfather, like most working class men, had a different kind of ambition. To become a President in the society we actually live in requires one pursue the wealth and power to achieve such a goal. This is a different kind of ambition from say, a logger, an electrician or a musician.

No one would ever recognize such an individual as a viable candidate under the current paradigm. The only way I can see this changing in the short term is to elections by "solar lottery."

Why is that so hard? We elect the people who rule us, we do! If people would open their damn eyes that may be an option. I was saying we need a person like that as a best case scenario. It won't happen because money rules us and without that becoming elected is impossible.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta
***This is Important!**

Another classic example of Obama using his 'power' in sketchy, non-constitutional ways!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: spelling

edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: edit

edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

And by unconstitutional, you of course mean using it in exactly the same way expressly approved by the Supreme Court in Nixon v. United States, reported at 418 U.S. at 713-14, right? I'm glad you, as a constitutional scholar who has thoroughly, I'm sure, analyzed the Nixon case, has now given us the benefit of such a nuanced analysis of the powers of the Executive under Article II of the Constitution

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
If you and all the other conservatives who are sure to come to this post did just as much whining when Bush exerted EP, I would say you have a point. But something tells me not one of you even made a peep except to defend him because "we are at war with terrorists and you don't speak bad about a president during war time."

Now I heavily criticized Bush during his time in office for doing things like this and I was called a traitor. And what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Listen up, Batman.

President Bush invoked Executive Privilege over the firing of eight (8) Justice Department attorneys when he took office. (President Bill Clinton fired every single one of the Justice attorneys on his very first day in the White House).

Fast n' Furious was an operation intended to create the environment where they could go after the 2nd Amendment....either an assault weapons ban or an outright repeal. 'Militia' will get re-defined.

The administration doesn't want to reveal what the communications were between Holder's Justice and the WH.

Remember, Holder has already been caught lying twice already and walked both back...the latter one just this week when he said President Bush's AG was involved in a similar op.

Frankly, if you're an American voter and still support Obama, you're either woefully indoctrinated through the education system...raised in sports where they didn't keep score...or somebody more sinister.

A government worker.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Excellent post!

How can Berry declare executive privilege's on documents that he states that he never saw?
Perhaps Hilary and Billary set him up and when Berry gets impeached, it opens the door wide open for Hilary to run for POTUS.
If that does happen, and if she does indeed win, then truly the whore of Babylon will be riding the Beast.

The election is merely 4-1/2 months away. There's not going to be any impeachment.

Anyway, President Obama is needed for his part in a the Reagan/Mondale redux.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Consider the path such a man would have to take to achieve the name-recognition to even appear on the ballot. Now ask yourself, will this paradigm be altered by wishful thinking and desire for change, or is it a systemic indication of what "democracy" looks like under a capitalist economic system?

Certainly, much can be done to ease us towards a more idealized future world wherein your scenario might take root, but first -- we would need an elimination of money -- particularly "soft money" -- as currency towards a political campaign, Secondly, we would need mandatory term limits, and a corresponding lack of lobbyists, because the current system is designed to reward those whose history indicates they will "play ball" under the existing rule-set. An unknown would be dangerous to established money and power.

This rabbit hole is deep, but I think you'll agree that -- while laudable -- your concept of the common man, leading the free world under the current system is far more speculative and fanciful than even "world of warcraft."

Do I like it? No. But I can't pretend it doesn't exist and that wishful thinking will somehow earn us a candidate we can all trust, admire and elect to govern us.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

We will never respect a person as that. Most likely they are a sociopath, who cares nothing about anyone but themselves. I agree that we will never, ever, see that in our lifetime. If you have ever talked to a politician you will realize they are not like you and me. Extending their power is all that concerns them.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You guys did catch that this is normal procedure, right?

Q: What is a contempt citation?
The process involves a series of legal maneuvers including the president's ability to assert executive privilege, as he did in this case. Executive privilege is rarely accepted by Congress, but the Justice Department maintains that infringing on executive privilege erodes the balance of powers.

Bush did the same thing:

Q: When is the last time an executive branch official faced a contempt citation?
Most recently, George W. Bush White House Counsel Harriet Miers and Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten were held in contempt of Congress despite Bush asserting executive privilege in their case. During the vote in early 2008, a large number of Republicans walked out in protest of what they saw as a partisan vote.

This is not a court of law, its not a criminal charge, and the same rules don't apply to it that apply to a criminal court. It may become a criminal trial, but that is very unlikely to happen.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

First time this has happened to an Attorney General, however.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join