It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Myths: 5 Big Misconceptions About Extraterrestrial Life

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliophysical1
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I have addressed this topic in my new Blog, UFO PERSPECTIVES and referenced an article which discusses the debate between Stephen Hawking and Jill Tarter of SETI regarding what we could expect from a visiting... or invading alien race. Always a great debate!

Read my post and get a link to that article here:

UFO Perspectives: Who is right? Hawking or Tarter?

Please check it out! Thanks much!

Gotta love this quote from that article:

"Stephen (Hawking) has a brilliant mind, but he doesn't have expertise in extraterrestrial intelligence," Tarter said. "Aliens coming here hell-bent on trashing the neighborhood and claiming all our resources -- I'm skeptical of that.

Like SHE has expertise in alien intelligence!

Of course she doesnt. Unless of course she holds meetings with greys on a weekly basis, that statement is just laughable. Of course Hawking is every bit as qualified as her to speak of what aliens might be like, since neither has any experience.

edit on 20-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

How do you know that they will come in peace?

Everytime a more advanced civilization happens upon a less advanced civilization the more advanced one usually decimates them so that they will be there slaves. If they have the technology to get here you better believe they have the tech to wipe you and me off the face of the Earth.

There is absolutely no evidence though to say that a alien race is hostile or not towards us. Take history into account though, when the Romans ruled 1/3 of the known world they sacked city after city, they were the reasons for falls of civilizations that would live and die under the Caesers rule.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Sure, but this is an earth-centric example. If you are talking about intergalactic space-faring aliens, chances are they would have to pass tens of thousands or even millions of "rain forests" on their way to our rain forest and most of these would probably not be inhabited by sentient life.

So the whole "they are probably just like us" thing falls apart at that point.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
As far as intelligence is concerned, we're really only going to be interested in life and intelligences that are at least somewhat similar to our own. It doesn't matter if there are other kinds.

Are trees intelligent? Some kinds of research suggest that plant life on Earth has a kind of intelligence that is very different from animal life. As a result, though, we really don't care. Or maybe there are multi-dimensional, intelligent slime molds out there that live for 10,000 years and communicate with each other via telepathy and have long brilliant philosophical discussions about the nature of existence. Believe me, we're not going to be interested. Even if we could comprehend them. And if we can't comprehend them or their lives, then they essentially don't exist to us.

The only kind of ET life we're really interested in are those like us. Aliens out of Star Wars and Star Trek that look like actors wearing weird masks. We're too self-centered to really care about other kinds of intelligent life.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

Why? If they can cross the span between stars, they can make robots. Slaves are far more expensive than Robots because they rebel.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550

How do you know that they will come in peace?

Everytime a more advanced civilization happens upon a less advanced civilization the more advanced one usually decimates them so that they will be there slaves. If they have the technology to get here you better believe they have the tech to wipe you and me off the face of the Earth.

There is absolutely no evidence though to say that a alien race is hostile or not towards us. Take history into account though, when the Romans ruled 1/3 of the known world they sacked city after city, they were the reasons for falls of civilizations that would live and die under the Caesers rule.

taking history into account from studies done into violence vs civilization clear evidence shows that the more advanced and civilized we get violence goes down, including all wars(was on big ideas Australia)

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
How do you know that they will come in peace? [...]
There is absolutely no evidence though to say that a alien race is hostile or not towards us.

Or how about this...

Suppose an alien species had a better understanding of life than we do, and their particular take on it is that allowing us to live as we do -- in our brief lives of painful brutality -- is the cruelest thing imaginable. Because they know that when we die our souls, personality constructs, whatever, will experience the greatest joy in the universe as it achieves oneness with the Creator Force. They are so filled with sympathy toward us that they must kill us all to free us from our own wretchedness.

Of course, we would probably not be so thrilled to have them slaughter us wholesale, no matter how much they might try to explain it to us. But to them, they're doing us the biggest favor of all out of pure love. What would we call them? Cruel? Horrific? Evil?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by easybreezy
taking history into account from studies done into violence vs civilization clear evidence shows that the more advanced and civilized we get violence goes down, including all wars (was on big ideas Australia)

Violence on a smaller, individual scale probably goes down as we get more educated and prosperous. The more people are able to get the things they need, the less they feel compelled to fight for them. But on a global scale, we just shift our killing into the millions at a time.

The question is, "more advanced and civilized" compared to what? Each other? Who knows what the real pecking order (or food chain) is like on a galactic scale?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

This reminds me of another hypothetical I invented to explain the human need to adore what we find beautiful and hate what we find repulsive.

Imagine two species. The first is "pure good" in every sense. They come in peace, they bring enlightenment, medicine, technology, and art. They are non aggressive and non warlike. They want nothing except to welcome us to an intergalactic brotherhood of highly evolved sentience. The problem? They look like giant 5' long Wolf Spiders.

Now imagine the second species. They are pure destructive evil, seeking only to rape and plunder torture and burn everything in their path, one soul at a time. They appear as angels, with golden hair, fair eyes and luminous wings.

Many would love the angels, even as they killed us one by one, but none would tolerate the spiders. Our nature would demand their destruction.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

no this is total tally, including deaths by war.
did you even my link??? and actually see that the research has been done??
or are you just saying what you think to be right, is right, because you are infallible to hard data??
a hurr durr, learning made simple the decline of violence from biblical times to now

edit on 20-6-2012 by easybreezy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by easybreezy

I agree somewhat with that, but how can you account for when Europeans came over to the America's. They slaughtered the indigenious people of North and South America. I know it was pretty much in the name of Christianity but thats a different thread. They were still far more advanced then the native tribes living here. What about the time we live in now. We are still a very violent society were the strong go after the weak.

Wars are pretty much no longer faught against countries like in WW1 and WW2 but are now faught against a certain organiztion that is well much weaker then every 'Superpower" on the planet.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

yes these things have happened, we have mistakes,but we also record our events, debate, and research them, and out of the debate and research we get the truth, then we inform others of the correct events,and make findings available for others; now because people have an understanding of emotions, and empathy short of autism, and psychopaths, the more we know what injustice is, because what if some one was to do that to me, us, my Provence, our nation, then ultimately my world would have to come into concentration, the key aspects for life to become a intelligent life, are logic reasoning skills(otherwise tech can not eventuate) awareness of self, and awareness of others, without self there can be no desires other than to just exist, without desire there is no need to better or gain, without awareness of others there would be no cooperation, without cooperation there can be no civilization, without civilization there can be no war, without war there can atrocity's without atrocity we cannot know of wrong, without wrong we cannot know of right. without right we cannot know of guilt, without guilt, we cannot find guilty.

So hope to high heavens some one out there has done something they weren't proud of.

this can go for a while. there is a reason for everything.

we are still evolving, more mentally than physically. to assume how we are now will reflect the future is a naieve statement

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
Imagine two species. The first is "pure good" in every sense. They come in peace, they bring enlightenment, medicine, technology, and art. They are non aggressive and non warlike. They want nothing except to welcome us to an intergalactic brotherhood of highly evolved sentience. The problem? They look like giant 5' long Wolf Spiders.

Now imagine the second species. They are pure destructive evil, seeking only to rape and plunder torture and burn everything in their path, one soul at a time. They appear as angels, with golden hair, fair eyes and luminous wings.

Many would love the angels, even as they killed us one by one, but none would tolerate the spiders. Our nature would demand their destruction.

And what if the alien species that visits us has "cybernated" themselves over many millions of years. After many millenia, they have come to view intelligent species that have not as backward, disgusting "meatbags".

So, they come here, and lo and behold! To their horror, we shamble up to their spaceships, holding out gifts (and perhaps guns). Our very appearance sickens them, and thus begins the extermination.

I have justified their aggression using your own hypothesis.

edit on 21-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Glad I finally read the OP.

I have been screaming this from the roof tops since my arrival at ATS.

That said, the only real alien threat has already come to pass. It does not get any worse than the greed and opposition to humans evolving unhindered by corruption and power tactics.

The connections and the back room deals were made long ago to the detriment of our planet and all life here.

I am of recent beginning to think that the terraforming is the real truth.

Humanity and all other sentient life forms, will not last long if I am right. (I believe all life on Gaia is evoloving including plants, tree's, *animals as we have been taught to see them*)

The real problem and our greatest challenge of the 21st century will be to first believe, then discover the alien presence here now. We must prove complete disclosure with irrefutable evidence so that the politicians and black ops lose their strangle hold on the ordinary people.

We cannot wait for the crooks to admit their guilt.

Science and Meditation, consciousness will have to be the direction we head without the vested interests involved if we hope to save ourselves.

Time is running out, sides are being drawn in the sands, and if we are to win, first understand that all of the past ET connections have been harming us and not helping. They are the exception and not the rule!

There have been enough clues given to individuals to know that the dark presence is not the only one. It does however feed on not only your average person but the elites, when we stand up and claim our freedom from this darkness we change, shift the whole plan away from the dark side to the light.

There needs to be more information put out there that delves in the lighter side of this phenomena.

It is like history, always written from the dark sides perspective, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, these are the exceptions to humanity not the rule, yet they are the ones who are most revered in time, remembered for good or bad, and they in no way can even come close to touching the greatest people in our shared history.

Stop talking about them, stop writing them into history, forget them, let the past lie as dead as they are.

Time to rewrite history, time to rewrite this entire Alien Phenomena and usher in some refreshing, alive and new energy, direction.

edit on 21-6-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

'Shipping' them will require more space i.e more/larger ships and use up more of their resources, and building robots will not only be expensive but also time consuming. That's if business applies to them as well

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Stop talking about them, stop writing them into history, forget them, let the past lie as dead as they are.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

I think it dangerously irresponsible to write these evil men out of history. We must learn from our past mistakes, not brush them under the rug.

Just curious, are you implying from your post the aliens are already here with us, terraforming our planet to suit their own needs? Why the continued industrial build up? Do they WANT smog, oil spills and pollution? Seems counterproductive to your theory to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

This is just off the top of my head, but -- if *I* knew I was headed to a new solar system, and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of readily-available-labor on standby when I arrived, I would send a probe (or 20) ahead to dismantle asteroids and build a robot army on-site.

I mean, why transport anything I don't have to? More room for gardens, indoor waveparks and drum risers on my mothership. I'm just saying.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I don't really think these guys are into gardens, more like deserts made of sulfaterra! Jokes aside, it's pretty easy to get us to work for them, Just like the colonialists did to almost every nation on earth. I just don't see why/how robots are required. I doubt they want to settle down here so bring on the warriorliens!
and a couple of scientists.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by easybreezy
or are you just saying what you think to be right, is right, because you are infallible to hard data??

There's no such thing as "hard data" in this case, because it all depends on how you want to define your parameters. Besides, I happen to be of the opinion that aggressive violence is a natural component to our species, and that it's not an inherently bad thing. We are the way we are today because of our ability to survive, and that requires a combination of both cooperation and violent aggression. One without the other creates an unbalance.

People tends to define something as bad if it interferes in some way with the peaceful reproductive activities of whatever tribe or nation they personally belong to. Unfortunately, it is just this peaceful reproduction that will doom millions or billions of us to death by starvation and thirst unless genetic engineering, machine intelligence, or an unstoppable pandemic does us in first. Is that "good?"

We might be in a relative period of peace at the moment, and because there are so many people on the planet right now, that's going to skew the data. But the game isn't over yet. And we still have plenty of people who are willing to kill and destroy the world because they believe their gods want it that way. And fighting for ideology rather than resources is tough to do away with, even if it was a good thing, which is debatable.

As for the aliens, who knows that kind of ideology might propel them across cold, dead space billions of light years? I'm guessing that it will be pretty much incomprehensible to us.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Originally posted by antar

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

My point exactly, there is no room in the future for non sense like that saying. What good has it done to write history from the perspective of the deranged?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join