It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After three minutes, just shut up.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Everyday I cross paths with people that talk, and talk, and talk.

If you watch a half hour news show you'd see how the news is split up in roughly three minute segments: Top news, local news, sports, weather, and world news.

If the world news can be reported in just three minutes, then when you talk beyond that three minute marker you ain't sayin' nothing worth hearing about.

People should carry an egg timer with them every day, and set it at three minutes. Then watch what happens to your conversations when the DING sounds and your three minutes are up.

Set the timer.

First minute is for home and financial matters: "We need to work out our budget for the month."
Second minute is for social responsibility: "Who are you going to vote for?"
Third minute is for broadening your mind: "I'm for the Big Bang and evolution, though I still see holes in these theories.

DING!

"Isn't Kim Kardashian beautiful! I wonder who does her hair?
My sister's neighbor bought mauve curtains, oh the horror!
I had the weirdest dream last night. Let me tell you all about it. My tool box was full of bees, and...
You won't believe what happened on the soap opera 'Days of Our Lives' !"

Please, after three minutes, just shut up.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Man I hear you. Some people just babble on and on. I think they just like to hear the sound of their own voice. Most of the time I just zone out and go into "uh huh" mode. Uh huh, yeah, uh huh really? Yeah uh huh. LoL

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Dear jiggerj,

F&S. I turned off my tv years ago because the news offers nothing and the rest on tv is garbage. The news used to actually tell you something (Edward R Murrow) and investigate things. Now it just tells us about Snooki and other people who are incapable of acting properly. If you haven't seen it, watch the movie "Network". Peace.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

roflmao, I hear ya! But also, could it be that we have been programmed to only be able to take only a certain amount of info in 3 minutes????

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Lol! I totally agree with you. It might cut down on those awkward trying-to-get-out-of-the-conversation moments. The ones that go kinda like...
Person A: blah blah blah, blah blah, you know?
Person B: Oh, yeah! ( fidgeting with something, trying to look busy)
Person A: Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Blah blah! Blah blah blah...can you believe it?
Person B: Wow, no, that's amazing! (Edging towards door)
Person A: Blah blah blah....
Person B: Uh huh...(halfway through door)

(half an hour later)

Person A: Blah blah blah blah blah blah! Blah...
Person B:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astrithr
Lol! I totally agree with you. It might cut down on those awkward trying-to-get-out-of-the-conversation moments. The ones that go kinda like...
Person A: blah blah blah, blah blah, you know?
Person B: Oh, yeah! ( fidgeting with something, trying to look busy)
Person A: Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Blah blah! Blah blah blah...can you believe it?
Person B: Wow, no, that's amazing! (Edging towards door)
Person A: Blah blah blah....
Person B: Uh huh...(halfway through door)

(half an hour later)

Person A: Blah blah blah blah blah blah! Blah...
Person B:

HA! Funny!
But ya know, I'll take that over what's been happening to me a lot lately at work. Someone will come to MY workstation to ask a question. I'll answer, he'll respond again, I respond again, and then he just stands there as if I'm supposed to add more when the question has been completely answered.

How come people can't sense when the transfer of information is done, and then walk away?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
You sound communiphobic.

Seek help!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
if that's all there is don't even bother with the 3 Min's, just shut up right from the start.
only conversation that fore fills is the spontaneous one, all the rest is parrots noise.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
You sound communiphobic.

Seek help!

Well, before my timer runs out just let me add

DING! Eh crap.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have found myself guilty of this. I don't have any living relatives or any friends I see on a daily basis. I think what happens is lonley people like me get excited and have so much to say when they finally encounter another human being in conversation. I also have been teased with the fact that I say "Ya know what I am saying" a lot. I have been for years. I think it's some sort of reasurance i subconciensly need?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientthunder
if that's all there is don't even bother with the 3 Min's, just shut up right from the start.
only conversation that fore fills is the spontaneous one, all the rest is parrots noise.

You're right. It's getting to the point where it's time to consider mental self-defense. We should be able to carry a gun for when people threaten to drive us crazy.

I swear I'm going to lose it if people keep insisting on talking to me about things that don't even qualify as trivial.

"Looks like rain this afternoon. Boy, we haven't had this much rain si-" BANG!
"Well, if the Red Sox win this one, and the Yankees lose their next -" BANG!
"Did you know that smoking isn't good for your he-" BANG!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well I am not guilty of that sort of retoric. I usually end up talking about ATS stuff or conspiracy or just thoughts. I hate it. Exspecially when they get that (Deer caught in the headlights look) Like I allmost brainwashed them or woke them up or even just pissed them off? IDK? I just wish you would look at your opinion outside the box or beyond a 3d perspective.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by jiggerj

could it be that we have been programmed to only be able to take only a certain amount of info in 3 minutes????

You hit the nail smack on the head

More than three minutes and all you do is confuse them.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm guilty of this every evening. For the most part, I spend the day by myself, with my own thoughts. I talk to myself, and win most of the arguments. When my darlin' comes home from work, I want to talk, to share, to communicate -- that's the real core of intimacy, y'know. Now, she's been multitasking all day, listening to people talk and complain about a myriad of things, so when she gets home, what she hears from me sounds like: CAW! CAW! CAW!!

Thus, I've learned to give her whatever length of blissful quietitude she needs to unwind before I unleash the barrage of questions and stuff that I've been wrangling with the whole day long. As a result, we'll usually sit and talk for an hour or more. We're equally comfortable saying nothing for long periods of time.

I don't like talking on the phone, but what I do like about it is that it lends itself well to a fairly rapid transferrance of information and then......... presto! It's over. Do NOT try to apply this principal to calls between you and your mother.

In standard seemingly random-meeting conversations......... I'm with you. Maybe the idea of actually trying to limit the conversation to a precise passage of three minutes is a tad controlling, but I get the general gist. When we've passed our pleasantries and the conversation is over, we should just leave.

I wonder sometimes if people have things they want to say, but either don't know how or don't have the stones to just say it, so they linger. After 54 years, I have finally learned that just shutting up can produce a wealth of information -- maybe an encouraging lift of the eyebrows.....
I think sometimes people just want to express endearment, and don't know how.

Sorry for the novella. 'nuff said.

DING!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
I have found myself guilty of this. I don't have any living relatives or any friends I see on a daily basis. I think what happens is lonley people like me get excited and have so much to say when they finally encounter another human being in conversation. I also have been teased with the fact that I say "Ya know what I am saying" a lot. I have been for years. I think it's some sort of reasurance i subconciensly need?

lol Don't know why but I tend to say things twice. "Yeah, yeah. I know, I know. No, no, I do understand."

One guy at work goes around to everyone, one at a time, and asks, "What's new, anything?" Oh, I want to shoot this guy! Know what I mean, know what I mean?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Great points! It's all called humanity for a reason isnt it? I think everyone deserves the rite to heard, to not listen is rude.
Now there are people who are just annoying and in fact I made a post about this earlier.
Who is the most annoying person in the world?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I'm guilty of this every evening. For the most part, I spend the day by myself, with my own thoughts. I talk to myself, and win most of the arguments. When my darlin' comes home from work, I want to talk, to share, to communicate -- that's the real core of intimacy, y'know.
DING!

Well, there are certain frames of mind that are excused when it comes to trivial chatter. If you are still able to consider your other half 'darlin'' then your small talk can be translated into 'I love you'. And that ain't bad.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Good one.

The only thing is I think you're giving them too much time.

1:30 at the most. That's more than enough time.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yea for all you know I could be this guy? So you want to shoot me cause you just can't own up and tell the guy to just Buzz off? I know if someone who I didn't like or didn't like what he or she said I would make sure I would let them know of my dissatisfaction with them, instead of secretly wanting to "Shoot them"
Hey just like I am saying to you now. I don't like you and your thread? Well it sucks too.

Edit to add: I would add you to my most annoying person thread but I think that would be against ATS T.O.S. Yea just like your wanting to shoot people like me comment should be against T.O.S.
edit on 16-6-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Lucky you! I'm developing an electric shock collar for people. Your wonderful thread has given me the brilliant idea of adding a three minute timer to my beta model. Oh Happy Day...this will open all kinds of doors for me in the marketing dept.

Schools. large corporate offices with cubicle environments...and the biggest ripe markets of all...Telemarketers and Politicians...I'll be rich I tell you. Stinkin' rich....

Being a fair minded person. I'll of course, have my guru call your guru, to set up a meeting to offer you a cut of the profits....it's only fair.

Des
edit on 16-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join