It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants May ‘Talk’ To Each Other by Clicking Their Roots

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
When Ingo Swann proposed that plants were both sentient and reactionary, he was laughed at mercilessly.

Now look.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I really hope they are right. Why? Because then all of us meat-eaters can shove it in the face of all the smug vegans and vegetarians out there who think they are so much better than everyone else.

That's one thing I never really understood about the vegans and vegetarians that don't eat meat and animal products for non-health or religious reasons. Why do they elevate animal life over that of plant life? Plants are alive, they are still killing something and eating it. It seems arrogant to say that animal life is worth more, or is more important than plant life.

Once you set that precedent, that certain forms of life are more important than others, and thus some should and some shouldn't be eaten, then why can't you carry that same thought process up the chain of animals?If vegans think lower-life such as plants are so worthless and undeserving of their protection from eating, then what about insects? Lower animals like rats, snakes, frogs, etc?

If they would just get over themselves and realize that life feeds on life, and there is nothing morally wrong with eating animals as long as they were killed in the most humane way possible they would succeed in becoming less hypocritical.
edit on 15-6-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

So now we have to worry about The Happening being a true story?...crap.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Great resource for this here:
en.wikipedia.org...
And I'm more serious than you might think.

Also, hard to fathom the viciousness and cruelty of the vegetarians.

I'll have mine medium rare, thanks!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
plants are people too !!11

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst

So if plants are indeed sentient beings...is eating them morally wrong?

Morally wrong? I guess you are eating meat everyday, aren't you?

At least us meat eaters don't eat them while they are still alive

edit on 15-6-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
We definiitely need an interpretation of "cliicking noises."
That impilies a rapid motion with a "report" caused by that motion. A good example would be snapping a bullwhip. Since roots virtually lock themselves between particles of soil by expanding there, it defines imagination that thay have any room to "click." Nor can I imagine a chemical reaction to mimic such an action. which, again implies a movement.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
If this turns out to be true, then it means that consciousness doesn't necessarily require a brain. So much for the "mindless clump of cells" position in an abortion debate.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
There was a study that showed that plants were more likely to thrive when next to relatives. They were less aggresive and didn't compete over space as vigurously. Now, how would a plant know if it's next to a relative or not?

I think plants and animals are a lot more intelligent than humans give them credit for.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
No that was just wind... Quit smoking plants... Lmao

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

edit on 16-6-2012 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

You made me laugh bro
what's the point of warning one another if nothing can be done. It's like watching an avalanche wave take you over. Just stand and wait for your doom.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bastet11
I don't need a scientist to tell me plants can talk. I know they can. I could hear them as a child, specifically trees. I am serious..they make a very low noise deep within. Trees have different voices. One of the best ways to hear it is to go shoeless, climb up a tree in a quiet, still place and sit in its loving arms. Press your whole body and ear to the trunk and give it some time. Eventually you will hear its voice if you wait patiently enough.

If there are mushrooms anywhere close to it, they help you hear it much better too!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TWISTEDWORDS
Animals and plants talk to each other. It's just that stupid humans think that because they aren't making English language sounds it isn't communication. It's us humans who can't understand their language. It's all about language anyways. IF a human being was put in a cave with no current languages said to that human being and then at the age of 18 was brought out and heard us all talking, it would sound weird. After all, we only make sounds anyways. It's just that we associate sounds we make with objects....duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He'd definitely be blind since there is no light and his eyes would shut down from lack of use...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I really need an eye exam....

The first time the thread came up, I read it as "Planets may ..." and though it may have something to do with the mysterious noises being reported...

This most recent time it came up, I thought it said "Parents may..." and thought it had to do with families and child rearing...

I really need an eye exam

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by elevenaugust

Vegans eat ya heart out.

I've felt it my whole life. Plants are as alive as animals and all can and should be eaten with respect because we are taking life to give life regardless. It bothers me that people need to make themselves feel better about eating by eating plants with the thought that it is better than killing an animal. This article and study is merely more proof.

Eat only vegetables because your body absolutely requires it.
Eat only vegetables if your religion stipulates it.
Do not eat only vegetables because you think it is better than killing animals. You're killing plants. Root veggies and herbs all get ripped and killed for the sake of our food. What? Because a plant can't bleed and cry and moan. Plants show you when they need water and will die if you don't. Some need shelter from the sun, shelter from the cold, will die from frost and will drown in a flood.

Eat your vegetable diet but don't kid yourself. You're not doing this planet or nature any better.

edit on 15-6-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

great post!

and I agree 100% ...have always believed plants were as alive as all of us.

celestine prophecy comes to mind here... in regards to the plant force.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I wouldn't be so quick to vindicate anyone just yet as the article (and paper) in question is entirely speculative.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS - FULL DOCUMENTARY - YOUTUBE

Thanks OP for this COOL thread. S&F.

Thanks the ATSer who told us about the above documentary.

Have known for decades that plants were conscious.

I was talking to this plant the other day. It was completely bloody ignoring me.

I said to it "Whats up? Got cotton wool in your ears?

Roald Dahl's - Tales Of The Unexpected. Series 4. Episode 7 -
The Sound Machine. (1981) United Kingdom.

Mr Klausner, a botanist, devises a machine that can translate a plant's noise into speech. It records the screams of flowers as they are being cut. A doctor believes that Mr Klausner's delusions are a cause for treatment.
Main Cast: James Warwick, Harry Andrews, Margery Mason
edit on 16-6-2012 by neotech1neothink because: edit

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If plants can communicate, which is possible, I really want to know what they are using for a brain. I feel that if we found out that plants have a way of thinking that would create a interesting dilemma for vegetarians.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Opfor

The roots is where thier mind originates, its like thier heads are buried in the place that gives then the air they need to breath.

The way they are amazes me, thier minds are woven around each others as well as all around other kinds.

And some of them have same exposed to us, listen. .

Cheers!
edit on 18-6-2012 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2012 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join