It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"New evidence supporting theory of extraterrestrial impact found" - Causing The Younger Dryas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The debate has been going on for years on what caused the Younger Dryas, causing a mass extinction 12,900 years ago, or so, causing abrupt climate change and wiping out the Clovis Culture, mammoths, etc..

Debris from this impact has been found in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, U.S. and Syria. The exact area where the melt-glass was found in Syria is where the first record of of humans transitioning from hunter-gathers to an agrarian culture living in permanent settlements.

New Evidence has been found and examined, the conclusion is: "likely caused by a swarm of cosmic objects that were fragments of either a meteorite or comet."

An 18-member international team of researchers that includes James Kennett, professor of earth science at UC Santa Barbara, has discovered melt-glass material in a thin layer of sedimentary rock in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Syria. According to the researchers, the material –– which dates back nearly 13,000 years –– was formed at temperatures of 1,700 to 2,200 degrees Celsius (3,100 to 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit), and is the result of a cosmic body impacting Earth.

These new data are the latest to strongly support the controversial Younger Dryas Boundary (YDB) hypothesis, which proposes that a cosmic impact occurred 12,900 years ago at the onset of an unusual cold climatic period called the Younger Dryas. This episode occurred at or close to the time of major extinction of the North American megafauna, including mammoths and giant ground sloths; and the disappearance of the prehistoric and widely distributed Clovis culture.

He added that the archaeological site in Syria where the melt-glass material was found –– Abu Hureyra, in the Euphrates Valley –– is one of the few sites of its kind that record the transition from nomadic hunter-gatherers to farmer-hunters who live in permanent villages. "Archeologists and anthropologists consider this area the 'birthplace of agriculture,' which occurred close to 12,900 years ago," Kennett said.

source

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This might not seem like a big deal to some, but if fact, the history books were just re-written, again. It is commonly held that the Clovis just faded to the American Native Indian culture. This points to an near extinction level event and the few that survived gave birth to the Indians and most likely killed nearly all of humanity around the world giving rise to modern culture.

Although this is generally held to be the result of normal cultural change through time,[3] numerous other reasons have been suggested to be the driving force for the observed changes in the archaeological record, such as an extraterrestrial impact event or post-glacial climate change with numerous faunal extinctions.

source

That's not very long ago that one of these rocks came zipping into our atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
This might not seem like a big deal to some, but if fact, the history books were just re-written, again. It is commonly held that the Clovis just faded to the American Native Indian culture. This points to an near extinction level event and the few that survived gave birth to the Indians and most likely killed nearly all of humanity around the world giving rise to modern culture.

Gotta look at the numbers, but I'm thinking that's close. Anishnaabe oral tradition puts folks here...as it turns out correctly...before the Younger Dryas. Wonder if it's reflected in their stories?
Nice grab...S&F4U!
edit on 12-6-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I thought it was known but I have always believed that comets struck the ice sheat in north america causing catastrophic melts, flood, earth quakes and everything else mentioned by the ancients.

The Carolina Bays were caused by the impacts of such crater around 12000 years ago.

edit on 12-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

Research more about the Carolina bays.

lmgtfy.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

fantastic signature......
that lidar map is the coolest thing to look at

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

It is suggested that an ice dam broke and came close to wiping all life across North America. That is still somewhat isolated within a limited area, though still a large area. To affect Middle and South Americas too one would think a larger event happened and maybe the ice dam was just one of many effects to that event, and not the event itself.

There are many other animals extinct, like the America Camel that one would think would have a great chance to survive, and I do not agree with the idea that man just ate his way through their extinction in an extremely short period of time where in other parts of the world we did not.

edit on 12-6-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

That was the first thing to come to mind, the ice damn that broke and carved out much of the Hudson River basin, adding to what the glaciers already carved. Depending on where in Pennsylvania it struck, that would be just about the right geography.

I just saw a show recently that they found mammoth skeletons and huge boulders washed out into the Atlantic just east of NYC.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
These were all plasma strikes, not physical impacts.

The Carolina Bays are a good call, but they are the splatter from the plasma strike that carved out the Great Lakes.

See here for the truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Would you mind pointing out where in that index to look for your hypothesis.

Are you referring to the battles of the Mesopotamian Gods?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Try this Direct Link Found it to be a fairly interesting read, (thanks CC!), and it totally debunks extraterrestrial impacts. The author is very precise.

Not good for your OP. Not at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wow! An electrical discharge between the Earth and Saturn, that's a new one. I'm always open to ideas. Quite a long read there. I'll have to go through more thoroughly it when I feel like sinking my teeth in.

top topics

join