It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court to decide important issues.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court begins a new term on Monday that will decide important cases on federal sentencing rules, the death penalty for juveniles and the medical use of marijuana.

The high court will also rule on disputes including the segregation of prisoners by race, how long the government may detain certain immigrants awaiting deportation and bans on out-of-state wine sales

www.reuters.com...;jsessionid=4EIGNEZYCA4F4CRBAEZSFFA?type=domesticNews&storyID=6399475

Early in its 2004 term, the Supreme Court will confront a series of cases that could transform America's criminal justice system for years to come," said Steven Shapiro, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union.

It will be interesting to see the decisions that come out. Either way the implications will effect all of us.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Like who won the election....

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There is something wrong when they consider the death penalty for juveniles. I can just see it now. News flash 5 year old sentenced to death.
How can it be O.K to even consider this? I got to say I think America is spiralling deep into the abyss.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sistinas
I can just see it now. News flash 5 year old sentenced to death.
How can it be O.K to even consider this?

That really bit extreem don't you think? At some point do you draw the line with the "kid" that murders? For now the borderline is what 15-16? Young enough to know what your doing is wrong and understand that there are penalties to doing it. What if that was you loved one the "kid" killed? Would you sence of justice be served knowing they would be out free and clear when the turned 26?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Sistinas
I can just see it now. News flash 5 year old sentenced to death.
How can it be O.K to even consider this?

That really bit extreem don't you think? At some point do you draw the line with the "kid" that murders? For now the borderline is what 15-16? Young enough to know what your doing is wrong and understand that there are penalties to doing it. What if that was you loved one the "kid" killed? Would you sence of justice be served knowing they would be out free and clear when the turned 26?

In fact I have lost loved ones to kid. I lost my cousin to a 9yrs with a C2 BB gun. Do I think his killer should be put to death? NO I don't think 9yrs with the mentally of a 4yrs should be put to death. Should the 17yrs who shoot my father 4 times with a 22 be put to death? No . Should he be in prison until he is old and gray well yes his should. F.Y.I the 17yrs was tried as an adult. Did 9 years in a Kansas prison. I could go on with all the deaths in my family but what would it prove? The point is I just will never agree with the death penalty in any form. Why should we as civilized society stoop to the same level of the murder? The Death Penalty is just plain wrong and evil.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Sistinas,

I would love to continue this discussion. But, I am as guilty as you of starying off topic on this thread. I would like to propose we move the pro/con death penalty discussion to the one ongoing in the Campaign 2004 issue forum were its more appropriate.

Thanks

FredT

top topics

join