It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nano Garden Lets You Grow Veggies Right in Your Kitchen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Check this out.. You can grow a garden right in your kitchen. Amazing how everything is advancing, Soon we won't have to get out of the house at all.

The Nano Garden Lets You Grow Veggies Right in Your Kitchen

Cities far and wide have started embracing rooftop gardens for bringing fresh local veggies in the spring, summer and fall to city folks. Fire escapes have become perfect spots for tomato plants, and windows have become increasingly jam-packed with basil, rosemary, mint, and sage. But, what about city dwellers and suburbanites who don't have access to a rooftop garden or plant-friendly fire escape? Or perhaps the right dose of rainwater and sunshine just doesn't make it to your particular locale?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

Every year I have a garden and start plants inside beforehand. This year I thought my seeds would carry over from last season but they didn't, so everything I intended on planting didn't sprout. However I still have a decent array of veggies growing.

That contraption looks a little pricey, and small, but looks good for growing herbs and other shorter crops. Also I wonder if it has different bulbs for vegging and flowering, since each stage of growth for flowering plants requires a varying amounts of lumens and light spectrum.

Regardless, investing in your own food production is a wonderful idea and cost cutting method.Not to note the benefits on your health and knowing where the food came from and what is in it.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have been working on a similar concept for my own home. It's not going to be as pretty, but will essentially do the same thing.

This is a great idea, glad to see a commercial version. For those of you who can't afford it, look into red and blue wavelength LED grow lights, and cheap metal shelves from IKEA. You can build one of these (without some of the bells and whistles, granted) for under $200 and have fresh veggies year long.

I'm using highly reflective mylar above my lighting fixtures, and am enclosing the entire unit in a tightly stretched transparent poly film so I can isolate the environment and keep temp and humidity levels where I want them. So yeah, it is ghetto by comparison but functionally it's the same. =]

I love Hyundai cars (just bought a new one 9 days ago!) as they are innovative and you get a lot of bang for your buck. I would expect the same out of their "Nano Garden." I hope we start seeing a lot more of this type of tech!

Awesome idea,

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
you might want to put it by the window to save some dough

sandf

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

you could make your own for a lot less.. you just need some of those plant led light sets... they are about 20 pound a set and some tubs of compost....

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

That deffinately would be worth looking into. For me being single this would be ideal, wouldn't have to worry about garden being raided while I'm away. But I'd need something that could grow larger items like corn, carrotes, potatos, ect. Unless somebody had a suggestion for something different.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

WOW! Just WOW! I need to get me one of these. I've always toyed with the idea of a small aeroponic system in my kitchen, but my cats would just eat whatever was growing out of it, so an enclosed unit like that one would be good for me in so many levels.

S&F for bring this to our attention.

Rev

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

That deffinately would be worth looking into. For me being single this would be ideal, wouldn't have to worry about garden being raided while I'm away. But I'd need something that could grow larger items like corn, carrotes, potatos, ect. Unless somebody had a suggestion for something different.

I already mentioned the thing called windows in my above post
here let me introduce...Ta Da!
FLOWERPOTS!
in the window...for your deeper root crops

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Actually growing corn and rather large crops indoors would not be worth the yield or time, let alone cost. And different plants require different nutrients, temperature and soil or soil less composition. If you are a beginner in growing food indoors or outdoors it is an art, as I have found out.

There are many ways to set-up a indoor system cheaply and effeciently. I would suggest researching for yourself and read, read, read.

Another really cool system is aquaponics, or fish farming. I have been researching and checking it out for awhile now. Also in a fish farm, if you can become familiar with the operation you can employ a hydroponic filtering sytem which will not only feed the talapia but feed the garden and you or family.

Check out this vid. It is a basic operation.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

ETA: Note a black container compared to the white one in the video would be a better idea to help stop the overgrowth of algae.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Daedal because: Edit added video

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

I already mentioned the thing called windows in my above post
here let me introduce...Ta Da!
FLOWERPOTS!
in the window...for your deeper root crops

Yeah but this thing is so cool

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I can see the DEA having a litter of hairless kittens over this now. Great thread S&F. This would work perfect in my not so sunny, but large basement.....

Des

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Looks pretty sweet.

Now, the next step is a nano fish farm.

Grow feed for the fish, and then you have an endless supply of fish and other veggies.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above. :X

Glad to see fellow fish farming pioneers on board.

edit on 5-6-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hmm Not sure how old this is, but Ive got something similar for two years in my kitchen

Nice setup.. I guess where they got the idear, i do belevieve I was first..

But to be fair, they have a nicer system.

Here some vids, it is an always work in progress, but easy to do yourself:

Although I got Fish as well ;-)

Here is a pic I just made, things grow fast:

This year i just threw in some mixed seeds and waited. No fance start ups, seedlings etc, just mixed the seeds put them in , rollled the top layer a bit.
After a month these ones have popped there heads out of the pallets.

- Beans
- Peppers
- Tomatoes
- Strawberry
- Basel
- Stevia
- Indian Cress ( Eatable flower, so also nice for indoor ;-)
- * Censured * (Not allowed in most of your countries)

I use a flood system combined with a timer.
Once an hour it floods and drains.

It is still very small scale, and fun!
edit on 5-6-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
That would be awesome for salad leaves, herbs and chillis.
If you can rig enough solar panels to keep batteries topped up, the home brew led thing could be a good bet.
Fresh cut, organic food all year round? Hell yes. I could see one in the corner of my garage...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

Good job dude...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Tnx! I see you are interested as well.

My hobby got me last week a customer to build an home use Aquaponics setup this summer in his yard.

We will be growing trout and veggy's ,

Peace!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
For those interested, I made an little update video of my indoor Aquaponics setup.

The difference is, I've got no artificial lighting besides from two 10 watts spots for decorational lighting.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Plants aren't that small. Is that broccoli on the top right? Do they even know how huge a brocolli plant is? This isn't going to work, trust me. lol. And the lights are going to make the water udnerneath the plants way to warm, plus the roots have barely any space to grow. good idea, but won't work.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I bet you guys grow some good #

I've been growingmy own seasonings like rosemary crest etc.

really easy and you can grow it right out of your kitchen window

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
what about from an oxygen standpoint, will this give houses presumably better air to breathe in, or am i being stupid and overestimating the effects of a few plants?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join