It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Document Recomends Space-Faring agencies to stay away from certain sites on the moon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Ah gotcha.

But seriously....total dick move by Obama

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Agreed, one of many.....why??? Makes no sense...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Shuttle was for LEO only.

To get to the moon and back you need something a bit more powerful.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeah...I figured I would get picked apart for that.....could we just agree that my point was that Obama shut down NASA and we not going back anytime soon?????

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It's a huge conspiracy to cover up unicorns in the apollo module! 75 meters is quite good distance to keep everyones eyes off... I mean it's not like we could see anything from 75m away or even use a small zoom lens.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Honestly? Who does NASA think they are? So they could go ad do whatever they like on the moon, including leaving behind some useless 60's junk [yes it is no more in my humble opinion] and now they declare those sites important.
Sorry, I don't think they are historic sites and I believe that any nation can go and do whatever they like. Including tidying up what NASA left behind. Who cares really?
So they were the first ones on the moon [apparently], fine, stick a flag in it and put a badge down. I don;t think anyone would want to destroy that. But all the other things are not historic.
To me they have something to hide and on top they do not seem to trust other nations. Hey, nobody can take away the fact that NASA had their first man on the moon, regardless of what they do with the junk. It is written all over history...

...or can they if they got too close to the sites NASA doesn't want them to approach?

And therein lies the conspiracy.
First of all I don't believe that any nation would disturb the junk. If there was nothing conspicuous about it they would like any tourist look at them and go somewhere else. After all if all was as NASA says people on earth would get quite pi**ed off if someone meddled with those things.
Secondly why shouldn't they go to these sites? They are the most interesting thing on that friggin rock there is. We all want to see modern pictures taken of those amazing things. It would be in NASA's interest for others to photograph all the evidence of their brilliant achievements.

It stinks of someone who has something to hide. Also bombing the moon just before anyone else cold get there stinks. Considering that there has been no interest in the bloo*dy thing for 40 years andn no funding and nothing but as soon as other nations declare to go there, suddenly out of the blue the moon has to be bombed for some obscure reason.

I call this an excellent conspiracy.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

... or maybe they're just too embarrassed to ask them if they wouldn't mind replacing the old batteries in the fan they used to make the American flag that they left 'flutter' again...? Just so it looks all nice in any new photos that comes back. I'm sure they wont mind.

Oh, and the rover could so with a 'turning over' too if that's cool... Buzz, the idiot, left the damn head-lights on!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
this was posted before on ATS.
but people never read the old stuff.
so good post.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Sorry, I don't think they are historic sites and I believe that any nation can go and do whatever they like. Including tidying up what NASA left behind. Who cares really
?

Well,

Why don't we just let China go build a shopping mall on top of the Gettysburg battlefield?

You my friend have no respect for our past accomplishments.

If I were NASA I would not want anyone stomping on or disturbing my great achievements either.

Use a little common sense, which consists of a little bit of logic and reasoning.
edit on 26-5-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gringo74

it makes sense to stay away from historic sites for preservation. but some people might actually want to see the first ever footprint on the moon. surely there should also be a wa to view these sites up close and personal. i mean seeing it with your own eyes shouldnt be forbidden. then well really know if they're hiding something.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

All stations, installations, equipment and space vehicles on the moon and other celestial bodies shall be open to representatives of other States Parties to the Treaty on a basis of reciprocity.

Outer Space Treaty

As of now, NASA does not have capabilities of manned spaceflight or access to the moon surface, only space outsourcing and outreach:

edit on 26.5.2012 by bokonon2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I can understand them wanting to protect maybe the first site but the rest are hardly anything special. If we stopped anyone from developing on every bit of our planet after the first time anyone stepped foot on it we wouldnt have a single square foot to build on. Plus it does not belong to America. The whole idea certainly sounds suspicious.

You cant compare a few foot prints, tracks and abandoned vehicles to the great pyramids.

edit on 26-5-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

jra

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate666
Honestly? Who does NASA think they are?

If you read the document you would see that this is simply a recommendation by NASA. There is no way it can be enforced.

Sorry, I don't think they are historic sites and I believe that any nation can go and do whatever they like.

Well I and many other people do think they are historic, but you are right. Any nation can go and do whatever they'd like.

To me they have something to hide and on top they do not seem to trust other nations.

In what way are NASA's recommendations hiding anything? NASA suggests future robotic/human explorers keep a distance of 75m from Apollo 11 and 225m for Apollo 17. That's hardly far enough to hide anything. The other Apollo sites do not have these recommended buffer zones. Although they recommend buffer zones around specific pieces of equipment. The LRRR's especially, since they are still used to this day. There are 3 Apollo sites and 2 Russian sites that they recommend a 10m buffer zone around them. Any rover traveling within this 10m buffer zone must travel at very low speeds so that dust does not land on the retro-reflectors.

I highly suggest you give the actual document a read through to see what exactly NASA is recommending and the reasons why.

Also bombing the moon just before anyone else cold get there stinks. Considering that there has been no interest in the bloo*dy thing for 40 years andn no funding and nothing but as soon as other nations declare to go there, suddenly out of the blue the moon has to be bombed for some obscure reason.

Are you referring to the LCROSS mission? The point of that mission was to send an impactor to the moon into one of the permanently shadowed craters. They hoped it would kick up dust high enough for Earth based telescopes to analyze and see if there was any form of water ice present. That's hardly an obscure reason and the mission was hardly out of the blue.

You should also know that India did the same thing one year before NASA did. Chandrayaan-1 had a Moon Impact Probe (MIP) that impacted into the Lunar south pole, also looking for signs of water ice. Also, the ESA, China, Japan and India had all sent missions to the Moon before the LCROSS mission, so your comment about "bombing the moon before anyone could get there" is moot.

You may wish to brush up on your history about the Exploration of the Moon

No offense, but it's really not.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate666
Honestly? Who does NASA think they are? So they could go ad do whatever they like on the moon, including leaving behind some useless 60's junk [yes it is no more in my humble opinion] and now they declare those sites important.
Sorry, I don't think they are historic sites and I believe that any nation can go and do whatever they like. Including tidying up what NASA left behind. Who cares really?
So they were the first ones on the moon [apparently], fine, stick a flag in it and put a badge down. I don;t think anyone would want to destroy that. But all the other things are not historic.
To me they have something to hide and on top they do not seem to trust other nations. Hey, nobody can take away the fact that NASA had their first man on the moon, regardless of what they do with the junk. It is written all over history...

...or can they if they got too close to the sites NASA doesn't want them to approach?

And therein lies the conspiracy.
First of all I don't believe that any nation would disturb the junk. If there was nothing conspicuous about it they would like any tourist look at them and go somewhere else. After all if all was as NASA says people on earth would get quite pi**ed off if someone meddled with those things.
Secondly why shouldn't they go to these sites? They are the most interesting thing on that friggin rock there is. We all want to see modern pictures taken of those amazing things. It would be in NASA's interest for others to photograph all the evidence of their brilliant achievements.

It stinks of someone who has something to hide. Also bombing the moon just before anyone else cold get there stinks. Considering that there has been no interest in the bloo*dy thing for 40 years andn no funding and nothing but as soon as other nations declare to go there, suddenly out of the blue the moon has to be bombed for some obscure reason.

As a fellow Brit...

What you just said was equivalent to saying 'tourists' should dismantle Stone Henge to make fireplaces. Because, afterall, an 'authentic' druid fireplace must be a pretty cool thing to have.

Certain places on this planet have been given a certain status which represents their 'global' importance. The Apollo sites are, quite justifiably, one of those sites [off planet].

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Just saw MIB 3....now I know why they don't want anyone near there!

edit on 27-5-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zox720
Someone will say they are hiding an alien skyscraper in 3..2..1..
2nd to none

Why is it always the members with the fewest amount of posts who say things like this? Really??

SnF OP

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Sounds like they are beginning the starting phase to lay ground work on historical sites of the moon. I would assume some of these sites are even Russian. They would never release the coordinates or actual areas of interest to the public. If anything it will promote people wanting to get as close as possible to such sites, drawing moon vacationers away from anything truly interesting.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I find it extremely worrisome that corporations are the ones who will own space in the future.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by gringo74

Dear gringo74

I whole heartedly disagree with this proposal by NASA that the commercial flights too the Moon should stay clear of existing Apollo landing sites.

Ok these sites are historic do I care that they will be disturbed, NO.

Will 99.99999999999999999% of us ever see them NO.

What the commercial flights will do is give us a chance at the truth, just for once a chance only I do not rate it as a big chance.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
reply to post by laterallateral

Agree, what a shame it would be if a bunch of chinese tourists tramped all over the 1st ever foot prints on the moon etc. Its such a historical site for mankind so of course it should be protected.

a footprint ? historical?

take a picture it will last longer... I wonder who will write the first ticket and collect the first fine from the asteroid or meteor that hits one of these beloved landmarks.

get a grip here on earth we have many more LIVING things that need protecting

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join