It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Aliens Attack: 'Battleship' Strategy with SETI Astronomer Seth Shostak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What's the harm in trying to contact aliens in space? Well, for one, if they're hostile, a cosmic call lets them know where we are. So it goes in the blockbuster film "Battleship," which opens in U.S. theaters Friday (May 18).

To date, scientists have not found clear evidence of life elsewhere in the universe, but the premise might not be that farfetched. In fact, renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking has warned that if aliens find their way to Earth, it may not be the friendly close encounter we want. With "Battleship" setting sail this week, SPACE.com caught up with Seth Shostak, a senior astronomer at the non-profit Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute in California, to talk about the new science fiction action film (which is based on the original Hasbro board game), whether he thinks hostile alien civilizations really exist, and what message he would send into the cosmos.

SPACE.com: You were a science consultant during the making of "Battleship," weren't you? What kinds of things did the filmmakers ask you to help them with? Seth Shostak: That's true. They flew a couple of scientists down to talk to the director, writer and producer. They had specific questions that they wanted help with, so I was one of the consultants. One specific thing that I remember is they were looking for some reasons for aliens to come to Earth. What might entice them to come here?

The rest of the interview can be found here.

Source space.com

I find it interesting a senior astronomer from SETI helped out as a science consultant during the making of this movie in question. I suppose it's not that difficult to take in considering from recollection, SETI staff in the past have been asked to do the same thing.. and I guess it's a smart move for movie producers to do this, who else is better to go to?

Enjoy the interview.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
With all the sightings going on around the World regarding ufos ... Do you really think they need a "call" to let them know where we are?

They know where we are ... More than even we know where we are!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

Good point.

In my opinion, if any other civilization had the means of travelling to here within a decent time frame, they would know we were already here, if that makes sense.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
First, let me quote the great Arthur C. Clarke:
"There either is or is not intelligent life in the universe.....And either thought is terrifying."

So from that logic I would extend it to my own thought:
"An alien race either will or will not greet us peacefully. And either thought is terrifying...."

Food for deep thought....
Good Post. S+F

-Christosterone
edit on 19-5-2012 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
My opinion is that we are being watched already, and have been for centurys! Maybe even studied? I think that we are given little bits of technology at a time and they watch to see where we go with the technology, which is probably hidden in places like area 51 and other places. On one occasion in Australia, there where two guys fishing of the coast and as they where vidoeing there catch, a huge silver disk came out of the water a couple of hundred meters away, hovered on top of the water for a couple of seconds and took at at light speed straight up! They got video of the UFO, they were forced to hand over the tape to the Australian Meterolgly Instatute by the government. Never been seen since! So whos to say we are not the ALIENS? And as for making our selves known for what ever else is out in the universe! BIG NO NO! We are better of with the Aliens we know than the ones we dont! IE little green men with big eyes!

Tekka2

top topics

join