It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex President Jimmy Carter says Florida vote trouble ahead.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Voting arrangements in Florida do not meet "basic international requirements" and could undermine the US election, former US President Jimmy Carter says. He said a repeat of the irregularities of the much-disputed 2000 election - which gave President George W Bush the narrowest of wins - "seems likely".

news.bbc.co.uk...

I am curious as to why Jimmy Carter would even voice his views, or think that anyone cares what he thinks. I don't think he has any more information than the rest of. He proved that while in office.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
I am curious as to why Jimmy Carter would even voice his views, or think that anyone cares what he thinks. I don't think he has any more information than the rest of. He proved that while in office.

Wow. Way to bash Jimmy Carter. You know he has a Nobel Peace Price, right? (2002) Perhaps that was given to him by the Democrats...

Although he is a partisan democrat, the guy should know something about elections, as the Carter Center (the organization he founded) has observed over 30 major elections in developing countries. Look here:

www.cartercenter.org...

You see, it's kind of amazing that by his center's long established standards, it is impossible to hold a fair election in the United States of America, while Indonesia seemed to be able to figure it out OK.

I love it when conservatives show their distaste for anything that encourages fair elections. Like all that post-2000 election reform they had down in Florida. It just kind of shows why I'm such a bleeding heart. Unfair elections are the tool of the evil aristocracy.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The amazing thing is, they've had four years to sort out the voting problems in Florida and they haven't done a damn thing. I watched an interview with some guy that's part of those charged with sorting out the Florida voting problems on the BBC, and they constantly put to him you've had four years, why hasn't anything been done? He looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and apart from sweating profusely all he could come up with was 'well from this week we're totally committed to sorting this out.'

They've had FOUR YEARS.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Florida election problems from four years ago have been addressed and fixed,likely better than they would have been otherwise, since they had so much attention from the last election. The primary was carefully watched and went fine here is a link.By the way I am not a conservative!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by oppodeldoc

Wow. Way to bash Jimmy Carter. You know he has a Nobel Peace Price, right? (2002) Perhaps that was given to him by the Democrats...

I love it when conservatives show their distaste for anything that encourages fair elections. Like all that post-2000 election reform they had down in Florida. It just kind of shows why I'm such a bleeding heart. Unfair elections are the tool of the evil aristocracy.

1st of all the Nobel Peace Prize is a farce, Ronald Reagan never won one, but Koffi Annan, the United Nations, Gorbachev, and Carter did.

It is not that conservatives show distaste for encouraging fair elections. We would love fair elections i.e. no dead people voting, no vote buying, no felons voting. You know things that democrats have perfected over the decades. We just can't stand whiners who can't get over the 2000 election.

BTW, Florida would not have mattered if ALGORE would have won his home state of Tennessee. His own people rejected him!

[edit on 29-9-2004 by Carseller4]

[edit on 29-9-2004 by Carseller4]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I posted Jimmy Carter: Florida lacks basic requirements for a fair election earlier today, and I'm surprised there hasn't been greater outrage over it. We trust Carter to monitor other elections, so how can we discredit what he says now?

EDIT: Typo

[edit on 29-9-2004 by curme]

top topics

join