It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Mercury - Allows Baseball Sized Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
In a story posted on several sites related to the black market sale of Russian made Red Mercury, British Police have captured an unnamed Saudi Arabian man purchasing it from 4 others. Suitcase bombs are old technology these days.............Full story copied below...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.homelandsecurityus.net...

Red Mercury
The WMD no one wants to �officially� talk about� Its deadly potential cannot be ignored!!!

On Friday, September 24, 2004, British police arrested 4 suspects for allegedly trying to purchase a �highly powerful, radioactive material, originally made in Russia, know as� Red Mercury�.

These four supposedly were willing to pay $ 541,000 a kilogram, on behalf of a Saudi Arabian, (described as sympathetic to the Muslim cause�), whose name was not disclosed.

�The News of the World said that the material was developed by Soviet scientists during the Cold War for making briefcase nuclear bombs that could kill people within a few city blocks.�

Sam Cohen, the physicist who invented the neutron bomb, sheds a little more light on the destructive power of red mercury. As quoted from a June 15, 1997 article by Christopher Ruddy of the Tribune-Review, it states:

�Most frightening for Cohen is the relative ease by which neutron bombs can be created with a substance called red mercury. Red mercury is a compound containing mercury that has undergone irradiation. When exploded, it creates tremendous heat and pressure � the same type needed to trigger a fusion device such as a mini-neutron bomb.

Before, an obstacle to creating a nuclear bomb was the need for plutonium, which when exploded could create a fusion reaction in hydrogen atoms. But red mercury has changed that. The cheap substance has been produced in Russia, Cohen said, and shipped on the black market throughout the world.

Cohen said that when UN inspectors went to Iraq to examine the Iraqi�s nuclear weapons capabilities, the U.N. team found documents showing that they had purchased quantities of red mercury. The material means that a neutron bomb can be built �the size of a baseball� but able to kill everyone within several square blocks.�

Another article, �The Balance of Terror and the Red Mercury Nightmare� states that �Iraq possesses �s-megaton� micro-nuclear warheads. These are softball sized two-megaton fusion bombs triggered by an irradiated and compressed compound of mercury antimony oxide. This device doubles the nuclear yield with a hundredfold reduction in weight. Using heavy hydrogen instead of uranium or plutonium to fuel its explosive reaction, this handheld nuclear weapon cannot be detected by U.S. sensors.�

Red Mercury�.The CIA says that it does not exist, yet terrorist organizations worldwide are willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to procure it�Scientists have alluded that nuclear weapons containing red mercury, can enter the United States, UNDETECTED, be placed in cities all across the country, and cause cataclysmic destruction�from a nuclear bomb, of incredible power, the size of a softball�I don�t know about you folks, but this REALLY scares me!

Now, what bothers me even more, is that last year, confidential intelligence sources informed me that a Special Ops unit in Iraq had lost track of about a ton of red mercury. I have not heard anything to the contrary, so I am assuming that it is still missing. How could that happen???

According to the research that I have done and talking to the contacts that I have in the Intelligence community, red mercury not only destroys human life, but kills every living thing in its path for eternity!!! In other words, where its destructive energy has touched, NOTHING will ever live again, not at least in our lifetime!

Let me go one further, my sources inform me that it would only take a teaspoon of red mercury to kill all living creatures in the Great Lakes.

So now that I have your attention�.think about this�..We have all seen or heard about the posts from the Arabic forums that indicate that an American city will disappear (to refresh your memory click here), are these threats really that far-fetched????

Think again!

***Special thanks to Doug Hagmann of NEIN for bringing red mercury to my attention last year!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit on 10/1/2004 by infinite8]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
So you're telling me this "red mercury" does not go through radioactive decay whatsoever? That's seems a bit far fetched. All elements have a half life. For some it's mere milliseconds, for others its hundreds of years....

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I believe what he said was that it would kill everything in our lifetime, I agree with you that it could not possibly last for eternity. I will try to find an exact half life for you.

Until then hear is a little better description of what is believed as Red Mercury:
===============================
chemistry.about.com...

Q: What Is Red Mercury?
From Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,
A.
The science newsgroups have been a-buzz with tales of a 2-kiloton yield Russian red mercury fusion device, theoretically in the possession of terrorists. This, of course, begs the question: What Is Red Mercury? The answer to this question depends largely on who you ask. Is red mercury real? Absolutely, but definitions vary. If you had asked me before I did a bit of Internet research, I would have given you the standard cinnabar/vermillion answer. However, the Russium tritium fusion bomb is more interesting...

Cinnabar/Vermillion
Cinnabar is naturally-occurring mercuric sulfide (HgS), while vermillion is the name given to the red pigment derived from either natural or manufactured cinnabar.

Mercury (II) Iodide
The alpha crystalline form of mercury (II) iodide is called 'red mercury', which changes to the yellow beta form at 127�C.

Any Red-Colored Mercury Compound Originating in Russia
as in the cold war definition of 'Red'. I doubt anyone is using 'red mercury' in this manner, but it's a possible interpretation.

A Ballotechnic Mercury Compound
Presumably red in color. Ballotechnics are substances which react very energetically in response to high-pressure shock compression. Google's Sci.Chem group has had a lively ongoing discussion about the possiblity of a an explosive form of mercury antimony oxide. According to some reports, red mercury is a cherry red semi-liquid which is produced by irradiating elemental mercury with mercury antimony oxide in a Russian nuclear reactor. Some people think that red mercury is so explosive that it can be used to trigger a fusion reaction in tritium or deuterium-tritium mixture. Pure fusion devices don't require fissionable material, so it's easier to get the materials needed to make one and easier to transport said materials from one place to another. Other reports refer to a documentary in which is was possible to read a report on Hg2Sb207, in which the compound had a density of 20.20 Kg/dm3 (!). Personally, I find it plausible that mercury antimony oxide, as a low density (nonradioactive?) powder, may be of interest as a ballotechnic material. The high-density material seems unlikely. It would also seem unreasonably dangerous (to the maker) to use a ballotechnic material in a fusion device. One intriguing source mentions a liquid explosive, HgSbO, made by Du Pont laboratories and listed in the international chemical register as number 20720-76-7. Anyone care to look it up?

A Military Code Name for a New Nuclear Material
As I understand it, this definition originates from the extraordinarily high prices commanded and paid for a substance called 'red mercury', which was manufactured in Russia. The price ($200-300K per kilogram) and trade restrictions were consistent with a nuclear material as opposed to cinnabar.

---------------------------------------

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The only name to be released regarding the Saudi Arabian purchasing the Red Mercury is "Mr. Big". His identity remains anonymous. Maybe hes friends with the Royal family? or maybe just overweight

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It's true, we grabbed some in Afghanistan. My squad hit a Large, heavily defended, Al-Qaeda hide out. We went in with two squads of SAS and two squads of Navy SEAL'S, we were to secure a small object which was of critical importance. We were told it was some sort of mass murder device.

This thing could easily fit in our pocket. I'm part of JTF-2 and we don't get called in for just anything. The Terrorists called them Allah's will. So they are out there and you all should be prepared.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

No Red Mercury has been found in Afghanistan. Also SAS is a British unit and SEAL's are a US unit. If two sqauds of SAS and SEAL's were used, where does JTF-2 fit in as a Canadian unit.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Only fools still hunt for elusive red mercury New Scientist

'There are reports of mercury stained red, and there is a report of one lazy con artist trying to sell mercury in a bottle painted red with nail polish,' the report says.

What is red mercury? BBC

Urban myth
It emerged during the trial at the Old Bailey that red mercury was something of an urban myth, a substance which was either radioactive or toxic or neither, depending on who you spoke to.

Latest theory is that the idea of red mercury materializes in bong water.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Do you honestly think the government would tell you all if there was indeed red mercury found. Really? Really? you think that they would let a huge group of people know that this stuff is out there and closer to home then you thought? I doubt it.

Also what that guy was talking about, his squad and 4 others attacking that outpost. It's a widely known fact JTF-2 has been used as a support squad in many SEALS and SAS raids, one of the most recent was Iraq, when they helped SAS recover journalists. Not to mention Peru's JTF-2 operation.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite8

Red mercury doesn't exist. It was created by the Russians as a way to sting people looking to proliferate nuclear material. By making these people ask for this specific material (which the Russians touted as the be-all-and-end-all of any nuclear-based project, be it reactors or weapons), they could easily spot people looking to do no good.

Apparently the Russians were better at it than they hoped, as people are still talking about this rubbish decades on.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Birddog26

No red mercury has been found anywhere, as it doesn't exist. You might as well look for Santa's beard or the Easter bunny's super-secret mountain hideout. They are just as real.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

There is not much doubt that any has ever been found. I also have doubts about it ever being real. The one thing I know as fact, is that none has ever been found in Afghanistan.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Red Mercury is real.
It comes as either liquid (kept under lab conditions) or powder with the solvents. Manufactured in Germany and US mostly.
The different types are code named P50, P20, P2020 (superseded P20).
Street value in Zimbabwe is around $900,000 per kg for liquid and $100,000 for powder version.
If you hold it in front of you and put your hand btn the can and your face you can see your bones.
Powder version soo cheap coz amount of specialized lab work needed to mix solvent and powder costs a pretty penny.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Israel and the US and i would presume Russia as well has already developed softball sized nukes. This is old news. In fact many experts think that they make up the bulk of Israel's nuclear arsenal-softball sized neutron bombs that detroy living things but leave infrastructure intact (think giant microwave). This would be necessary for Israel given the proximity of its enemies the possibility of having to fight them on their own land.

top topics

join