It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US should return stolen land to Indian tribes, says United Nations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

A United Nations investigator probing discrimination against Native Americans has called on the US government to return some of the land stolen from Indian tribes as a step toward combatting continuing and systemic racial discrimination.

James Anaya, the UN special rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples, said no member of the US Congress would meet him as he investigated the part played by the government in the considerable difficulties faced by Indian tribes.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Who the hell does the UN think they are?

Seriously.

No one will argue what happened to the native Americans was a really crappy thing to have happened NO ONE but the simple fact is that is the only reason you and I even exist in this world.

The UN itself would not exist and would not have a tax free spot in New York paid for mostly by Americans and on Native American land.

Hey UN how bout give up all that multimillion dollar posh real estate that you can sit there and judge how evil Americans are.

Of all the damn nerve!

I can't stand the UN and to sit there and dictate to the US what WE should be doing and it's not just this it's all the stupidity of the UN thinking they have the power to tell Americans what to do.

Blah.
edit on 4-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
everyone wants to own the world

when will people listen to the earht and realize we are all living in the same planet.

this land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me... okay so now lets all get naked and have an orgy

+68 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I can't stand the UN and to sit there and dictate to the US what WE should be doing and it's not just this it's all the stupidity of the UN thinking they have the power to tell Americans what to do.

I can see how something like this could piss off someone who isn't of Native ancestry, but come on. The U.S. Government dictates what other countries should do all the time...How is this any different?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
That's a lot of land for the 3 American Indians that still exist.

+31 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Who the hell does the UN think they are?

The same Org. north america pressures into taking similar action in a multitude of nation/states...

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...

+4 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That same :Un who didn't stop the ethnic cleansing in Africa,Darfur and other parts of the world.

How about the UN telling Australia to give back all the aboriginal lands?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
USA has territory in India? That's where the Indians are, no?

Anyhow, the UN must now therefore return its property to the USA: if USA can't take land from Native Americans, UN can't use land in the USA.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Native ancestry?

Like how my family has been in this country for over 200 years?

Am i not a native?

+27 more 
link   
The USA tells other countries what to do all the time. If they don't comply we invade them or set financial sanctions. See how it feels

edit on 4-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
link   
There was a war. The natives lost.

Then there was a purchasing agreement. The natives made a foolish decision.

Call me racist if you like, but why is the US Government supposed to return this land?

link   

Originally posted by neo96
That same :Un who didn't stop the ethnic cleansing in Africa,Darfur and other parts of the world.

And give back aboriginal lands in Canada too?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So who governs the land that we "give back"? Do they become their own nation? Where is the 56 million acres of land they are wanting to give back?

I agree the American Native lands were raped and they got a bum deal but come on. How would they thrive and prosper in this deal? And why are there so many unemployed Indians? Why can't they get jobs?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I am just saying you can't think it's right for the U.S. to dictate what others should do, if you don't like others dictating what you should do...Right?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Yeah

How about Canada giving back Indian land?

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The UN is not dictating anything. It is a suggestion. There is a HUGE difference. Dictate implies they have legal authority to impose rule. They don't. It's a SUGGESTION. And not likely one the US will listen to.

The same UN who TRIED to stop ethnic cleansing but were unable to because they cant enforce that sort of thing without the consent of voting member nations.

You seem WOEFULLY unaware of how the UN actually works.

edit on 4-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Honestly who the hell listens to what the US Government says?

North Korea doesn't,.
Iran Doesn't
Pakistan Doesn't
Israel Doesn't
Al Queda Doesn't

Hell i do not listen to what the government tells me to do.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
US territory is large. Why do you mind giving them some space?
You could have existed without killing them all you know.
America would just be a morally different place to live.

I agree though that UN should mind its own business but I guess minding others businesses is its reason to be.

Don't like UN? Blame U.S. president Roosevelt
(among others)

Peace

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
There was a war. The natives lost.

Then there was a purchasing agreement. The natives made a foolish decision.

No. Numerous 'agreement' (Re: Treaties) have been broken over and over and over again. Study your history.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
But it is ok for Israel to continue taking land from Palestinians?

I would have no issue at all giving back land to Native Americans just as soon as the the UN upholds that same standard across the Globe.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Then how about the UN "suggest" telling Syria and Jordan to give back the land they stole from the Palestinians?

hmm?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join