It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise. Ultra Orthodox Jews to hold protest against internet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Here is the source.

“This will be a mass rally never before seen in the history of Orthodox Jewry in the U.S.," one of the event's organizers told JDN, as translated by The Jewish Press. "It will be a gathering of unity of all the Jews living in the U.S., a gathering to disseminate information and a prayer rally for the success of Klal-Israel’s war on the Technology which threatens the sanctity of the homes of Israel.”

I really don't know what they hope to gain by doing this. They speak of the influence of the internet on young people. It also states that all the Jewish in the U.S. will be there. I am interested if anyone on this board will be. I also happen to think this is more of a retaliation to the U.S. laws that our "government" can't seem to get passed into law. I can't think of any real reason that they would be that affected by it, other than technology is getting in their way. Back to you ATS.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The irony here is they could not get this kind of world wide attention without the internet! Typical religious mentality to use technology to trash technology. I cant wait to see the facebook and twitter 'end the net' pages spring up.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

"the evils of the Internet and damage of advanced devices" that they believe negatively affect younger generations.

Translation: easy access to information and conflicting opinions interferes with indoctrination of youth by our superstitious nonsense.

edit on 29/4/12 by Maslo because: extext

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yeah like the world was paradise before the internet existed. Maybe they should take a look at themselves to see what has corrupted the world more. The internet? Or religion?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Fundamentalists are the village idiots of our planet...and it doesn't matter what religion.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Let me guess......This is gonna be an online protest?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
In all fairness, what have we done with this access to information?

People are still controlled by the media. They upgrade their smart devices every 18 months.

There is still wide spread famine all over the world. Tolerance is at an all-time low.

Social networks are the opposite of social interaction.

Everyone is crazy on both sides of this argument, including me.

Technology should be progressing mankind and it is not. It is making life better for a few at the expense of the many.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
We should all exile them to an island and let them duke it out, and at least that way the sane rest of us can live in peace and dodge stupidity. They should also be barred from voting. Children can't vote because they lack the mental capacity, but I know many 10 year olds that are more intelligent than any of those clowns.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

How is my having a smart phone contributing to the deaths of puppies and children across the world? And what plan do you use to get an upgrade every 18 months? Mine is every 24.

With that said though....by the same rationale.....If someone 30 years ago lived beside a library, yet didn't use their proximity to all of that knowledge to fight world hunger, it's no different than people with "always connected" devices today.

Knowledge is power. But it's what you actually DO with all of that knowledge that actually holds more power.

Assaulting little girls on their way to school because they want to walk on the same side of the road as grown men with funny beards is NOT using ANY of that or any other knowledge. It's no different than the beliefs of the Taliban. So why is Judaism more accepted than Islam?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
look at all the angles and see who the players are. we are perceiving it as an "end the net" protest but YOU KNOW they like to play mind games and slight-of-hand trickery ...so what are they really saying? oh look over there while we do this over here. Nothing is as it seems anymore.

we all know they like their "distractions"
ending the net would start WW3

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It seems it's always a moral issue with fanatics. Knowledge undermines. They know their faith is fallible, and that by learning more about it, these children can more easily discard it as ancient assumption and hearsay.

Socrates was put to death for corrupting the youth. Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake for posing ideas that undermined. I'd say they don't have that power anymore.
edit on 29-4-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: added bruno.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

How is my having a smart phone contributing to the deaths of puppies and children across the world?

Who said this? What is the point of answering you?

Don't put words in people's mouth if you want to have a conversation.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Fundamentalists are the village idiots of our planet...and it doesn't matter what religion.

oh no! now i'll have to leave that club, don't wanna be tarred with the same brush. and i was hoping to
retain the title this year. i guess the last bastion left is the gurning heats.

whilst backpacking through israel many moons ago, a friend was showing me the layout by car on a friday night driving through an orthodox area. we got the usual (he called it) welcome rock bounce off the bonnet and crack the windscreen. such a warm and welcoming community.

f.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

More religious mind control.

Christianity = religious mind control
Islam = religious mind control
Judaism = religious mind control.

new topics

top topics

join