It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is yahoo censoring emails?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I just had a weird experience, I tried sending an email with a controversial subject matter to a friend and they couldn't receive it. I tried twice with the same result. Suspicious, I made a brand new hushmail account and sent the same email and wha-la they received it no problem. One thing to add is that the email was pretty long, maybe they have a character restriction or something? Never had this problem before and I have sent long emails on yahoo before with no problems. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this if not my apologies.
edit on 23-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
it could be the anti spam system that stops people from signing up to a email account then spamming the world before getting the ban hammer, but yahoo wont reveal exactly what trips the system as then its open season for the spammers again

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that actual censorship of emails, would open them up to all kinds of legal prosecutions for interference with communications.

Probably just a bad hit on the spam filter.
edit on 23/4/2012 by BMorris because: Typo - Missing letter U

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
it could be the anti spam system that stops people from signing up to a email account then spamming the world before getting the ban hammer, but yahoo wont reveal exactly what trips the system as then its open season for the spammers again

I've had that email address for 5 years and used it from time to time. I've also received plenty of emails before and logged on to it at least once every 2-3 weeks. And as I stated before I have sent large emails before, although I didn't specify that I did with that particular email address.

Originally posted by BMorris
I'm pretty sure that actual censorship of emails, would open them up to all kinds of legal prosections for interference with communications.

Probably just a bad hit on the spam filter.

That's possible, but what are the chances of it happening twice? I can see it happening once but twice is a bit pushing it. I also told the recipient to check his/her spam folder. I don't trust yahoo because of their tactics on their new stories comment section (censorship and other tricks), but never had had problems with emails not going through. Maybe this is just a hiccup which is why I was asking if anyone had had a similar experience.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I forget the topic but there was a thread on this a while back. User A tried to mail User B concerning "some subject" and the mention of the word caused an email failure error. A re-send without the offending word was tried and it succeeded.
Ron Paul, Iran Contras, something along those lines...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

if you want to find out where the fault lies then what you need to do is to start sending emails from yourself to your friend and increase them by one word a email until you fail to get contact and perhaps there will be some obvious thing such as you're talking so obscurely about conspiracies you have tripped their spam filters etc

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Things are changing my friend, new control mechanisms are being rolled out on the Internet

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yahoo censoring certain topics wouldn't surprise me. They certainly have tried to supress crop circles - which of course most people know some are ET made (the nice ones) and some are human made (the boring looking ones).

Why? Everyone in the business world Jerry Yang made one of the biggest blunders through his ego a few years back in not accepting double what Yahoo was worth from Microsoft, and the company has been going downhill for 10 years and more. So this would be a way to earn a little extra cash for them, while they still have some influence albeit dwindling on the interent. Apparently they made a crop circle debunking video.

whoknew.news.yahoo.com...

Here are some nice crop circles, as if they were made by man:

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I was close. The subject yahoo was censoring was occupy wall street.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 23/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

top topics

join