It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect Or Coercion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
I'd call that coercion myself. The teacher's basically trying to guilt the kid into conforming, and not truly trying to teach. It's a tactic that works too because the other conformists will pressure the kid, and some of the kids will even beat the crap out of him for disrespect.

In other words, it's a bad teacher because she can't convince the kid he's wrong using reason, instead she has to guilt him.

Too many people are like that these days.

Manipulating bullies are what they are.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When these United States actually separate ALL religious viewpoint from State and Federal Laws - I might re-consider my position about reciting the pledge. Too many laws are based on religion and dogma.

When Equality of services and protections are ensured for ALL Americans - not just some but ALL - including Gays and Lesbians, Elderly, mixed race, Aboriginal Americans again I might re-consider making that pledge. There are no real laws that have teeth to them to enforce "We the people" concept.

When disabled persons are finally afforded equality and special adaptions are paid for by State and Federal funding or allowances to improve the chances that a disabled person can successfully improve their lives through education, better paying jobs, improved adaptions that essentially give the disabled the EQUAL opportunity of pursuit of freedoms then I might might also re-consider to stand, place my hand over my heart and pledge my allegiance but then again if I opt out I don't have to justify to anyone why I do things the way I choose to do them.

My freedom of choice cannot be mandated by man-laws! Even my freedom to state "Give me Liberty or give me death" is my choice not your's or anyone else's - period.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
1. You shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

---- VS ----
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

So basically its an oath to put nation above God. The kid maybe portrayed with scorn, but seems the only one in the whole room who MIGHT be concerned about the truth and about God.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by The Old American
It's not anyone doing anything. It's a political cartoon. If you can't separate reality from a drawing, you need some help.
Be mad at the artist, not the ink.
/TOA

Yet it is a sentiment echoed by many, including the 5 people who liked the post and the three or four who commented.

Be careful with your assumptions. I flagged the post because I thought it was a worthwhile topic to discuss, not because I agreed with your sentiment.
This country was founded on religion. Today you enjoy a freedom "of" religion, not a freedom "from" religion.
One nation, under God.

IMHO, without freedom "from" religion there's no freedom "of" religion. And without freedom of speech there's no ability to express faith separate from either complying or opposing the govt (depending if the govt is atheist like Russia or religious like Israel).

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by reitze

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by The Old American
It's not anyone doing anything. It's a political cartoon. If you can't separate reality from a drawing, you need some help.
Be mad at the artist, not the ink.
/TOA

Yet it is a sentiment echoed by many, including the 5 people who liked the post and the three or four who commented.

Be careful with your assumptions. I flagged the post because I thought it was a worthwhile topic to discuss, not because I agreed with your sentiment.
This country was founded on religion. Today you enjoy a freedom "of" religion, not a freedom "from" religion.
One nation, under God.

IMHO, without freedom "from" religion there's no freedom "of" religion. And without freedom of speech there's no ability to express faith separate from either complying or opposing the govt (depending if the govt is atheist like Russia or religious like Israel).

No one has religion shoved down their throat, except as a child. And that's where the whole problem lies.

If we waited until, say, 12 to learn about the Bible, we might not have so many Christians.

Regardless, this is about freedom of expression, not religion in particular. In fact, it has more to do with politics than anything else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join