It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this look like a shelter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but it seemed to be the best for this.

My dogs were barking at something at the very back of my yard this morning. I figured it was some animal, and didn't pay much attention to it. When I went out to cut the grass, I noticed this pile of wood, right at the same area my dogs were barking. I went in and got my video camera, drove the mower back there, and taped this.

I'm not going back any further, so this is all I could get. I am not sure if someone dumped wood or if someone built some kind of shelter, although I'm leaning toward a shelter. It looks like wood piled up and then sheets of plywood on top. I can't tell if that is wire/rope or a small tree branch. I'm a little freaked out by it, to be honest.

Either way, it shouldn't be there, whatever it is.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It could be a shelter ... it would be a pretty crude one, but if you're homeless and want to be out of the elements it works..

It looks more like a pile of wood and some old cardboard though.. you could always call the cops and let them investigate if you're worried it might be someone potentially dangerous hiding out
edit on 4/17/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

I went in and got my video camera, drove the mower back there, and taped this...I'm not going back any further, so this is all I could get

Well played...you never know. With that said, it looks more like a kid or teenager's Fort...

One idea would be to throw Molotov cocktails on it until it is burned to the ground, or you could do something else, but it wouldn't be as much fun.

Good luck...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Did you see the branches toward the back that are leaning against it? If someone were just dumping, why would they set branches leaning against the back of it?

I just thought of going back there with my binoculars. Maybe I can get a better view.
edit on 17-4-2012 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Be careful. Ive heard of some strange meth labs being constructed. Looks like some sort of shelter to me.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
You have dogs. They were barking?
Go back there with your dogs.
If there's any trouble, let loose the dogs?

Then again, if you just have weiner dogs or something, then, this might not be the best of suggestions.
Take a friend with you?

If it's on your property, well, that's kinda spooky and if it were my property I wouldn't be happy about it.

I wouldn't suggest doing anything cruel that might endanger anyone that may be using it for shelter but, making it loud and clear that squatting won't be tolerated is, I think, a sound move.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Im confused.

People on here talk about getting off the grid and making shelters to survive: and everyone on here just basically told the guy to beware, shelterperson could be dangerous - burn it down, call the cops.....

It's going to be horrendous for those living off the grid or when TSHTF, isn't it? Everyone's going to be calling the cops (The very people we want to get away from, no less) on fellow humans wanting to do the same thing we want to - live off the grid and have a safer life.

Nope. Burn it down! Call the cops!

:C I'm so ashamed.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
^ I do realize it could be your property: in that aspect, it's understandable to be worried.

I was more saying as a whole really. Sorry I didn't specify that before

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It's not on my property. At the end of my property is state owned wetlands. I can't see much with the bino's because of all the branches in the way. I'm going to ask my neighbors if they know about it first. No one around me has any kids that would build something like that.
edit on 17-4-2012 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
It does look man/kid made. Could be kids stashing something they don't want their parents to know about.

Could be a dangerous person's hidey hole....just be careful. Call another adult friend to check it out with you.

Let us know what the outcome is please....Don't leave us to worry about you.

Des

edit on 17-4-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Did I see something moving out the back at the 34 second mark?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Im confused.

People on here talk about getting off the grid and making shelters to survive: and everyone on here just basically told the guy to beware, shelterperson could be dangerous - burn it down, call the cops.....

It's going to be horrendous for those living off the grid or when TSHTF, isn't it? Everyone's going to be calling the cops (The very people we want to get away from, no less) on fellow humans wanting to do the same thing we want to - live off the grid and have a safer life.

Nope. Burn it down! Call the cops!

:C I'm so ashamed.

I agree with your sentiment, but this doesn't look like "shelterperson" built a little shack to get off the grid. I doubt anyone would go to that much effort to dispose of this stuff so I would lean toward shelter of some sort. If it is to disguise a meth lab or someone on the run from the law it could easily be booby trapped. It is wise not to get too close, especially if there is some unusual odor. If you do smell the telltale odors of a meth lab, call the cops. If not monitor it for a while.

If your dogs were excited about it there was likely someone there. My Rottie can fend for himself and is a bit too brave for his own good but I definitely would not let him go explore the area for fear of booby traps. I would suggest keeping a close eye on your dogs as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Did I see something moving out the back at the 34 second mark?

Nice catch. Going to see if I can catch it. BRB.

Maybe it's bigfoots lair.

edit on 17-4-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Buy an infra red trail cam at your local hunting store.....you could have big fun with this.

Des

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Still trying to catch him, he's fast. But I also saw this image in the video. Maybe it's him.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It does look like a shelter very crudely constructed. There also appears to be dark blue blankets or tarping in it as well. Just be done with it and let the LEO's figure it out. Don't forget to tape the LEO's investigation. They may bring out the SWAT Team or something.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Still trying to catch him, he's fast. But I also saw this image in the video. Maybe it's him.

Wow if that is a face and not my mind trying make a face out of something , then that is a weird looking individual Maybe a werewolf getting away from it all..

If you could have held the cam still for a few seconds I might have been able to figure it out. I understand how difficult that can be.
edit on 4/17/2012 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Be easier if I can download the video, and this way I can run it through virtual dub. Take it out one by one.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

I was going to say quark

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Proper Squater ettiquette is to ask the property owner's permission 1st.
I live out in the boonies on a large chunk of land. Last Autumn, I stumbled upon a guy building a hunting blind on my property, just above 1 of my ponds. I threw him out.
Had he come to me and asked 1st, depending on his demeanor, I would have likely let him stay.
In the past, I have allowed people to camp on the back 40, simply because they asked first.
Just my .02

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join