It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STATINS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yes I am positive it is LDL"s most people don't realize that cholesterol both LDL'S and HDL" are part of your immune system and as we age they naturally rise.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
According to the CDC'S statistics deaths from polio dropped 70% here and in Europe before the vaccines were introduced, many people had polio and never knew it, herd immunity was working very well. Unfortunately, herd immunity cannot be had by artificial immunity, then of course the diagnostic criteria was changed twice so when you now look at the numbers of polio cases they are inversely switched with cases of meningitis.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by obixman... so my doctor tried Niaspan, but I had itching all over my body from thet.

I had the same reaction from Niaspan. and this was after about 5 years on it.
one day i started having intense itching from head to foot and every time after that i took the Niaspan.
my doctor claimed to never have heard of the problem and claimed it was all in my head.

I still take niacin but its a very low dose OTC brand and i take it 5 times a day

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
my doctor put me on crestor statins for cholesterol. i took them for about 1 year. by that stage i was lying in the hot bath soaking my muscles, crying, not knowing how i was going to work when i had such pain. it was a miracle that i had the radio on and heard a doctor saying if you have lots of muscle pain dont just put it down to age, check if you are taking statins. i am only 44. i jumped out the bath, googles statins and nearly died when i read the side effects. it was EXACTLY what i was going through. i printed out all the info i could and took it to my doctor. he said he didnt believe it was the statins. i went off them myself and improved within 2 weeks.

i am now taking fish oil. i am also trying to research on what else to take as my family has strong history of heart disease. so far i have come up with either COQ10, or vitamin C. anyone on here who can offer any info on either of these would be appreciated.

i also think that in years to come, statins will be proven to be the greatest pharmacy swindle of all time

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truedoc1
Yes I am positive it is LDL"s most people don't realize that cholesterol both LDL'S and HDL" are part of your immune system and as we age they naturally rise.

you're right I misread -- you want the (H)dl to be (L)ow and the (L)dl to be (H)igh
edit on 12-4-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Sometimes, you have to go above your Dr.'s head. Check out the sources, information, side effects and determine your own health and welfare. Then tell your doc what you're experiencing and what you want. The time is past when doctors were God and the public were uninformed idiots. Be progressive in your health care.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Before you ditch your statin medication, keep in mind that there is a correlation between high cholesterol and alzheimer's disease. Just be aware of this as an outcome while contemplating not taking your meds.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Classified Info

STOP THEM NOW and increase your Omega 3's. I work for a doctor that is very against them and I have witnessed the damage in patients first hand. I have patients that will never work or walk again due to the use of statins. Muscle damage in the brain, heart, and throughout the body is the biggest culprit of statin use. You literally waste away, atrophy. It's all about the bottom line, pharm companies lining the pockets of the FDA. There is more money in keeping you sick than making you better. Your BP will never go down and with your weight going up, it also makes you a great canidate for diabetic meds in the future. Omega 3's and Paleo Diet and you'll even be off you BP meds and lower your cholesterol.
Peace and Love,
Heather

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by parksh

STOP THEM NOW and increase your Omega 3's. I work for a doctor that is very against them and I have witnessed the damage in patients first hand. I have patients that will never work or walk again due to the use of statins. Muscle damage in the brain, heart, and throughout the body is the biggest culprit of statin use. You literally waste away, atrophy. It's all about the bottom line, pharm companies lining the pockets of the FDA. There is more money in keeping you sick than making you better. Your BP will never go down and with your weight going up, it also makes you a great canidate for diabetic meds in the future. Omega 3's and Paleo Diet and you'll even be off you BP meds and lower your cholesterol.
Peace and Love,
Heather

i actually think that i ended up with permanent damage in my back. my lower back and hips were extremely painful while taking my statins and while they have improved since i stopped, if i dont take the fish oil i get pain. i can actually feel that they are both weaker since taking the god damn statins.

one last thing..does the good doctor recommend anything else to take for high cholesterol??? CoQ10 or vitamin C ??

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by parksh

Peace and Love,
Heather

I am bumping this because after I researched them, they are just plain bad. If you have high cholesterol, FIX IT the right way. Naturally.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Cholesterol, Lipitor, and Big Government: The Terror Campaign Against Us All

Related to the best "program" and book on the topic of Diabetes adn Heart Disease... heres' the web-site on the Statin's sub-page:

High Cholesterol, Heart Disease and Diabetes The Dangers of Statin Drugs

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
my doctor put me on crestor statins for cholesterol. i took them for about 1 year. by that stage i was lying in the hot bath soaking my muscles, crying, not knowing how i was going to work when i had such pain. it was a miracle that i had the radio on and heard a doctor saying if you have lots of muscle pain dont just put it down to age, check if you are taking statins. i am only 44. i jumped out the bath, googles statins and nearly died when i read the side effects. it was EXACTLY what i was going through. i printed out all the info i could and took it to my doctor. he said he didnt believe it was the statins. i went off them myself and improved within 2 weeks.

i am now taking fish oil. i am also trying to research on what else to take as my family has strong history of heart disease. so far i have come up with either COQ10, or vitamin C. anyone on here who can offer any info on either of these would be appreciated.

Highly bioavailable CoQ10 (ubiquinol) from Life Extension Foundation, with the statin!

I had a relative with serious adverse reaction to various statins for years. At my suggestion she takes CoQ10 with Crestor and now has no problem.

Originally one of the mfgrs (Merck?) even patented the combination (decades ago) but decided not to go forward because of the marketing implication, namely that there was something wrong with the statin by itself.

The statins inhibit pathways which create CoQ10.

Statins (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors) are currently the most effective medications for reducing low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations. Although generally safe, they have been associated with a variety of myopathic complaints. Statins block production of farnesyl pyrophosphate, an intermediate in the synthesis of ubiquinone or coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). This fact, plus the role of CoQ10 in mitochondrial energy production, has prompted the hypothesis that statin-induced CoQ10 deficiency is involved in the pathogenesis of statin myopathy.

Atorvastatin decreases the coenzyme Q10 level in the blood of patients at risk
for cardiovascular disease and stroke.

Rundek T, Naini A, Sacco R, Coates K, DiMauro S.

Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons,
New York, NY 10032, USA.

BACKGROUND: Statins (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase
inhibitors) are widely used for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia and
coronary heart disease and for the prevention of stroke. There have been
various adverse effects, most commonly affecting muscle and ranging from
myalgia to rhabdomyolysis. These adverse effects may be due to a coenzyme Q(10)
(CoQ(10)) deficiency because inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis also
inhibits the synthesis of CoQ(10). OBJECTIVE: To measure CoQ(10) levels in
blood from hypercholesterolemic subjects before and after exposure to
atorvastatin calcium, 80 mg/d, for 14 and 30 days. DESIGN: Prospective blinded
study of the effects of short-term exposure to atorvastatin on blood levels of
CoQ(10). SETTING: Stroke center at an academic tertiary care hospital.Patients
We examined a cohort of 34 subjects eligible for statin treatment according to
National Cholesterol Education Program: Adult Treatment Panel III criteria.
RESULTS: The mean +/- SD blood concentration of CoQ(10) was 1.26 +/- 0.47 micro
g/mL at baseline, and decreased to 0.62 +/- 0.39 micro g/mL after 30 days of
atorvastatin therapy (P

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Classified Info
Is anybody else currently taking any cholesterol medication on here?

I have been taking it for about 9 months and I am giving serious thought to stop taking the medication. To be sure, I have talked this over with my doctor on two separate occasions now, last week was the latest, and he is adamant that I continue taking them. So I guess that should settle it right? I love my doctor, but sometimes I feel they can be prescription happy. I am also taking two different High Blood Pressure medications which have been nothing more than miraculous in lowering my HBP. I understand the importance of following your doctors direction and the benefits of modern medicine.

But here is the thing.

I keep a very detailed log on such things as my diet, weight, HBP, exercise routine etc. I have found a direct correlation between Statins, in my case Zocor, and weight gain. I aint talking about adding a few extra pounds. My weight has jumped from 185 to 225 in less than a year!!!

I am convinced it is because of the Zocor. I exercise regularly and my diet while it could be better is still a lot better than it was a year a go.

I would like to hear from others who are or have taken this class of medicine. What, if any, side effects did you experience? Did you experience any serious weight gain?

I am going to keep on taking them but I plan on bringing it up again with my doctor when I see her next month. I would just like to have a little ammunition to back up my belief that my Zocor medication is putting all these extra pounds on which would seem to negate any benefits that I might be getting from the medication.

you don't seem to be very bright.

weight gain would be listed in the SIDE EFFECTS LEAFLET THAT COMES WITH YOUR STATINS.

WHY HAVE YOU NOT READ IT?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I was put on Statins 8 years ago because my doctor said due to me developing Diabetes two years earlier, that it would be better for me. Even though there was nothing wrong with my Cholestrol.

Within six months of starting the statins, i started getting pains in my wrists and ankles.
Over the next twelve months i was in agony in both legs and arms.
I lost the movement in my arms over the next couple of years.
I could barely lift them through the pain.

Four years ago i spent 12 weeks in a wheelchair because i couldn`t stand or walk with the pain.
After attending pain management clinic i regained mobility in all limbs but was told the pain will never go so i have chronic pain 24/7.

Two years ago i spooted a story in the Daily Mail about a man who throug Statins had ended up crippled due to statins.
After researching more. I noticed an article in The Lancet by a doctor who said he had found that statins caused Neuropathy and couldnt understand why Diabetics were being prescribed statins as there was a possibility they would bring on diabetic neuropathy.

After speaking to both my GPs [ who knew nothing of the links ], we agreed i come off them, checking my cholestrol levels every few months.

I have now been off them a year and my levels are perfect.

I was also offered High blood pressure tablets because mine was high one day.
Instead i told my doctor i`d get a meter and check it once a week.
Thats been perfect too so i`m glad i didn`t start taking those pils as they seem to be another tablet that we get told ` Once you`re on them, you can`t come off them` .

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lambros56

Depends on how consistent the high blood pressure is on whether you can get off of the meds or really need to take the meds. There are ways to help BP drop with low sodium diet, exericse, stress reduction, and good fluid intake. But these measures must be a part of one's life continuously in order to stay away from the BP meds. The danger is that blood pressure has few outward symptoms, headaches and blurry vision are two of the most common but by the time these present, the blood pressure is too high, which can lead to a stroke. I myself have high BP brought on by stress (from nursing school! lol) so this is not a good time for me to get off my BP meds and I may never be able to get off of them due to the stressful nature of being a nurse. I also have a family history of heart disease on both side of my family. So, this is of course an individual choice and one where the benefits and symptoms must be weighted against one another and what is the right choice for each of us. I am an advocate of taking as few meds as possible. But I also know that there are situations that regardless of how bad the side effects are, staying with the medication is still the best choice (ex. as in schizophrenic medication).

Good job on getting off your statins with all the side effects you were having. There are ways to lower cholesterol first with diet that can lower the readings of LDL. I wish you doctor had gone over that with you first so you didn't suffer like you did. But really each of us needs to be our own advocate and research and explore what the right choices are for us. It's so easy with the internet and so much information is available to make the right choices for themselves. And if anyone is seeing a doctor that does not support your right to autonomy or the right to make your own decisions for your healthcare, find another doctor.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

You`re correct in what you say.
I`m lucky that i`ve, in my opinion, never had high blood pressure.
I`m just glad that i never agreed to go on the tablets just because one doctor decided after one check-up.
I know of some people who have.

The internet has helped, as you say.
Five years ago, i was taking 26 tablets a day but after research, me and my doctor have got it down to 8-10 and that`s only for the pain.
We get prescribed too many in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I was on statins for 10 years of my life, at the age of 17, due to my Triglcerid level at 455... Deadly levels. I had no idea that soda pop, and sugar played a part, I am a kid drinking 2 liters back then. Any rate I decided to quit taking them and at my biggest I was . lipitor and soemthing else, tricor. anyways. I began to work out 3 years ago and solved all my issues.

As far as weight gain, that depends on the person. I've been big all my life. 6'3 270 at my biggest. I am not at 225. So, that depends... happy to be off the meds

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

you don't seem to be very bright.

weight gain would be listed in the SIDE EFFECTS LEAFLET THAT COMES WITH YOUR STATINS.

WHY HAVE YOU NOT READ IT?

Well lookey here we got an arrogant little know it all on board.

If there is anything worse than someone he thinks he knows it all is when that person does not know what he/she is talking about and is just dead wrong. And you state I am the one that is not very bright?

I have read all the literature that accompanied my prescription. Weight gain was not one of them! Besides when I asked my doctor about any possible side effects to watch out for she did not mention one thing about weight gain. In fact the literature stated that loss of appetite was a common side effect. A loss of appetite usually does not result in weight gain Einstein.

Here is a complete list of all the side effects. Read up on them sonny boy before you accuse others of not doing the same!

Simvastatin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

constipation, stomach pain, nausea, headache.

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately. If you experience any of the first 7 symptoms on this list, do not take any more simvastatin without talking to your doctor:

muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, dark red urine, decreased urination, lack of energy, tiredness, or weakness, loss of appetite, pain in the upper right part of the stomach, yellowing of the skin or eyes, fever or chills, flushing , blisters, rash, hives, itching, swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs, difficulty breathing or swallowing, hoarseness, joint pain, sensitivity to light.

So there you have it. Not one word about weight gain.

edit on 4/17/2012 by Classified Info because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join