It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Egos Spiral Out Of Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
There are moderators who block entire posts and links to websites just because somewhere else on that website it says ATS is a CIA front or something silly. This is where insecurity inhibits open discussion. You wouldn't even allow a link to anywhere on that website just because in some small corner of it, it says ATS is government controlled.. Let's think about this.. how many times are things posted on ATS accusing hundreds of groups/websites/people..etc.. of being CIA fronts or government-controlled? Should those websites/groups/people block all links to ATS threads or news because of that? Does this help you to see the absurdity of it? Not only do you block the link, you removed the poster's text and replaced it with a moderator note and a"Lies Disclaimer".. I believe the thread was about a geological discovery (about as far removed from ATS being a CIA-front as you can get)

Egos and insecurity shouldn't hinder discussion. Yes ATS is a private company, but it's so profoundly hypocritical to limit discussions in this way. Then we have entire threads being removed and 404'ed. The most recent being a thread someone created titled "ATS is becoming a joke", I read that thread, the poster had broken none of the forum guidelines/rules, it wasn't obscene or overtly disrespectful, he was being genuine and sharing his personal thoughts, and it was posted correctly in an off-topic forum. Why ATS? Why is there such an over-reaction to anything resembling criticism? Every organization, government, company, politician, religion, country, and vague entity has been criticized in much more obscene ways on this website.. yet you can't handle someone pointing out flaws or criticism in ATS without removing posts and entire threads?

My next issue is when a member takes time and effort to create a good thread.. and someone makes unrelated racist posts on their thread you shut down the whole thread ending the discussion over the actions of one or two posters.. that is extremely unfair to the OP.

Now any thread could potentially be shut down.. all you need is 2 or 3 people to come to the thread and post off-topic racist comments, or verbally attack each other.. then a mod can shut down the entire thing, let's punish the OP and negate everyone else's civil on-topic contributions to the thread.

As if that weren't bad enough when I make an unoffensive suggestion saying 'instead of shutting down entire threads over the racist comments of a few, just block the posts deemed racist' for this suggestion I get a very immature and rude reply from a staff member telling me to "take a break from ATS.. no, really.." If the staff cannot even maintain civility and respect in discussion on their own website.. how can they expect everyone else to?

Lead by example ATS.

I have a feeling this thread is going to be deleted.
edit on 4/11/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Dun dun dun!!! (Dramatic music ensues
)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Wow I never noticed ATS was that bad they should chill out and let people say what they wanna say.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by starks1089
Wow I never noticed ATS was that bad they should chill out and let people say what they wanna say.

Yeah, I mean seriously! I mean they chain people to their chairs and with gun to head FORCE them to not only agree to T&C but FORCE them to come to the site.. AND POST!!!! ITS A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE this place.. should be wiped from the internet for civil abuses.

Im just pissed because I thought this thread was all about me.. and I was disappointed again.

new topics

top topics

join