It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spanish Tragedy by Thomas Kyd- NEED HELP!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Has anyone read The Spanish Tragedy by Thomas Kyd? I need some help in developing a thesis for a final paper I have to turn in by April 19th. I was required to email my professor a proposal for my paper. Here is what I emailed him:

The Spanish Tragedy was the one play that stood out to me out of all the plays that were read and discussed in class. After reading the play twice, I realized that there were two things that stood out to me from the play which relate to one another: The first was the ending quote:

Then haste we down to meet thy friends and foes;
To place thy friends in ease, the rest in woes.
For here though death doth end their misery,
I'll there begin their endless tragedy

The second was the judiciary aspect of it: The character of Revenge watches everything that unfolds within the play, the three judges of the underworld allow Andrea to judge over the characters that die in the end of the play, as well as Hieronimo who is part of the judicial system who seeks justice over the death of his son.

What I would like to write about are the roles of these characters and how their roles as judges relate to the themes of justice and revenge, which are key ingredients of a Revenge Tragedy. I believe that this approach to the text is significant and potentially insightful because it concerns the core and theme of the entire play:

Revenge and Justice

And this is his response to my proposal:

Okay, sounds good, but I'm curious to hear more. What kind of thesis do you imagine having? What are some main points?

Once you have some of those details, drop me an email. I'd like to hear how this paper is shaping up. It sounds like a good idea, now, but still rough, just an idea. I want to make sure that your execution of the idea matches the quality of the idea.

Let me know how I can help. Good luck in your writing and research.

Does anyone know a good thesis or some points I can email him back with? I'm having a real hard time with coming up with a thesis, I thought I was clear with what I want to write my paper on.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

join