It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Takes Aim at Saggy Pants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Hmmm.....I didn't take the fines into account. I think that is a little silly and maybe just a scare tactic

At our school here, if you break dress code, they call your parents and make them bring you something in code. That seems more fitting than a fine.

And yes, where does that money go?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

The fines where in the older bill from 3 years ago that did not pass.

The current bill allows for the school administration to set the punishment for breaking dress code.

From the tennessean.com:

A stricter version of the proposal failed to pass the legislature three years ago. That measure particularly targeted individuals that sag their pants below the waistline and imposed a fine of up to $250 and 160 hours of community service.

Under the current proposal, school districts would decide a less severe punishment.

Also the older version just addressed "saggy pants", the newer version is more broad. It also seeks to make girls "cover up".

In Tennessee's case, female student athletes might be required to wear shirts over their sports bras if they were deemed inappropriate by school officials.

Jordan Fleming attends Anderson County High School in Clinton, near Knoxville. The 16-year-old was visiting the state Capitol with a group of students on Monday. He said he's glad to see such legislation because the indecent exposure of some girls is a "huge distraction to the guys."
www.commercialappeal.com

OiO

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thank you One, I was just reading that.

Do girls really just wear sports bras to school now
Not my daughters!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
I actually like this law, and wondered when they'd get it going.

sagging pants down past your waisteline is actually indecent exposure...women can't do it.

Why can men?
edit on 4-4-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

Then you you are against freedoms. I dont like saggy pants either, but i respect it anyways since you should be free to wear what you want in a so called free country.

And I think females should be able to do this as well if they want. You cant just be for freedoms you agree with. If you are a freedom loving person you also should respect other individuals freedoms even if you don't like or benefit from them yourself.

Next time it might be one of the freedoms you enjoy that is being taken away because someone else did not like it.
edit on 4-4-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
Do girls really just wear sports bras to school now
Not my daughters!

I think it is referring to sports activity.

Knoxville Republican Bill Dunn expressed his shock at the way women athletes dress.

“…. having several children who play sports, it’s pretty shocking to me that you go to practices and games and young ladies are walking around in sports bras…would that be considered underwear?”
wpln.org

Girls walking around the school halls during class hours in a sports bra, yeah I can see that as a no-no. I can even understand having the rule for games as they should be in a uniform. But for practices? If the school allows boys to practice without a shirt on, I would think a girl wearing a sports bra should be acceptable.

OiO

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Under the current bill, school districts would decide a less severe punishment.

"Maybe a fine, nothing to severe," said Brooks.

That was in the OP article.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Under the current bill, school districts would decide a less severe punishment.

"Maybe a fine, nothing to severe," said Brooks.

That was in the OP article.

Did you watch the video in the article linked? That quote came from a student and was in reply to the reporter asking what kind of punishment he thought was appropriate.

OiO

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Oh lol, my bad. No can't watch video at the moment, I am compiling a new OS, and haven't gotten to the fancy stuff like java and flash just yet

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc

As much as I hate seeing people wear their clothes in any such a manner, I hate a lot worse a damn law preventing them to be able to do it.

I mean where does it end?..What next I can't wear my camouflage shirts anymore because I have to be in the military to wear them?

You see their getting out of hand with the trying to take rights and liberty's, and it always starts small, and always on issues people want to see a law to prevent.

It's these peoples rights to wear their clothes the way they want to wear them. If their not exposing themselves, or hurting anyone else by wearing their pants low, why should we prevent them from doing it?

Well I can only thing of 1 reason actually, and here it is. You decide.

www.myfoxmemphis.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-4-2012 by Mr_skepticc because: Added a video!

I agree 100%. I absolutely hate the style but this just ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by TKDRL

Legislators have a great deal of power and are paid a great deal of money to wield that power. Is this really the type of issue you want them to deal with?

Wait until some over-active cop shoots a kid for wearing his pants too low.

Tired of Control Freaks

That's the whole thing, I dont' hire people to weild power over me. I denounce and renounce every single system of "power" and governments in this world. Evil Evil Evil Evil and I don't give my power away. All they exist for is Social Justice and equalizing. They're servants.

As for the droopy bottom issue, my middle son was a droopy bottom for quite a while, nearly 2 years. It was embarrasing, however, boxing shorts are often worn AS SHORTS in the summer. It wasn't embarrassing that way, I just resented the music industry making a fad out of something that makes a teen or young adult think they look sexy. Making a person a product or object.

But we had our own weird fads and that is one of the biggest problem with teens and 20's, people feel judged by others all the time, and they don't feel good in their own skin until in their 30's often. They follow their peers for self esteem.

I never forced my son to hike them up, couldn't anyway he is bigger than me but talked about issues such as fads, and self esteem every now and then, and now he's in to skinny's as they're the norm.

No way would I allow a legislator to tell us what to wear, or that you're underwear can't show. And girls wore them too.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Those stupid saggy pants at school can be a hazzard. Kids can trip or get pushed in the halls and crack their skulls when they fall. Concusions happened this year to two of my daughters friends at school and they weren't even wearing those baggy pants. They fell in a crowd of kids between classes on a flight of stairs. I imagine that wearing baggy pants falling down all the time and tripping on them constantly would increase risk of injury.

Schools banning them ... fine.
Outside of school (like a town or city in general) banning them .. not so fine.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I actually like this law, and wondered when they'd get it going.

sagging pants down past your waisteline is actually indecent exposure...women can't do it.

Why can men?

Strange for me to see an opinion like this coming from someone with an avatar of Orwell's 1984.

Youth can't wear 'hoodies' - but little 4 year old girls can parade around on stage in 'ho' gear for 'baby beauty pageants'.

Youth can't 'hang' their pants - but women can parade naked on the television and the big screen and it's ok...and on and on and on.

I'm not making this a man woman thing - just wondering if you're seeing clearly.

No offense intended - just making a point - and I honestly hope you can see what that point is without me having to spell it out.

Read Unity99's post right above here. That spells it out even more.

peace

edit on 4-4-2012 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Warning: Political campaigning

I agree one should have the right to look like an immature gangsta if they so choose. My body is MY body, and their clothes are THEIR clothes.

For you guys who think this is bad? Put Republicans in all the government branches. This is just a sample. Anything they don't like, they will make illegal. These control-freak tea party people are a threat to life as we know it, and this is the beginning.

We should fight tooth and nail for those kids to dress as they want.

This burns me up. Personal liberties anyone?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

Nice political trolling there..... Like the dems aren't rabid control pushers too....

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

I can think of nothing worse than a government imposed dress code-- particularly one that has nothing to do with the exposure of sex organs.

And we look at the Saudis and other Muslim countries with disdain for their Burka enforcement rules.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815

At our school here, if you break dress code, they call your parents and make them bring you something in code. That seems more fitting than a fine.

That is exactly what my sons' public high school did when they were there. There was a dress code, and parents were expected to follow it for their student. No sagging pants was part of it. Girls were not allowed to show bra straps.

Who is in charge at these schools? Wienie parents and administrators?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

And we look at the Saudis and other Muslim countries with disdain for their Burka enforcement rules.

Exactly, and we simultaneously pride ourselves on our freedoms, while there are groups who systematically chisel away at them. What next? Dreads? Long hair on guys? Mini skirts? Go to church on Sunday or be jailed?

This is scary. Shame on you, Tennessee.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It's election year so get ready for a lot of new laws to protect the children and such. We don't allow hoodies or saggy pants in our business and there's a sign on the door. Our business is up 20% from last year. Got a few complaints but I don't really care. Newspaper interview about it really helped business. Somebody said it's racist and my response was "I don't care what you think It's my rule and it's staying" My customer base hasn't changes only the people that want to hang out.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

Exactly, and we simultaneously pride ourselves on our freedoms, while there are groups who systematically chisel away at them. What next? Dreads? Long hair on guys? Mini skirts? Go to church on Sunday or be jailed?

That would be coming full-circle. I was in high school in 1967 and there was a ban on long hair - and I'm not even talking about long, it was a violation if it was touching your ears, guys' hair had to be cut tapered and could not be blocked in the back. No jeans permitted, shirt tail tucked in or the PE coaches would have you running laps on the track during your lunch break. The girls' skirts were always getting measured and they were not permitted to wear pants then. And that was in California!

All that was set by the schools, and this is legislation. Not right.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

The thing is, it isn't a "gangsta" thing, it's a "hip hop" thing, and crosses over into many groups.

My concern is individual rights. They should have the right to dress that way, and you should have the right to monitor who comes through your door.

I personally don't care for either the dress or the monitoring, but who cares? What they do, and what you do is nobody's business, and it shouldn't be legislated.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join