It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still dont understand the point of rioting after a big game....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Why do people riot when their team wins a title?? Honestly, what's the point? I'll never understand why loads of fans will take to the streets to destroy their town... Why turn a positive into a negative? The reason why I'm making this thread is because I witnesed some very questionable behavior last night after the Kentucky Wildcats defeated Kansas in the Mens Basketball Championship game. Immidiately after the game an estimated 15000+ students and fans took to the streets, at first it was simple yelling and cheering, they were celebratting, but soon it escalated to couches being burned on the street, house fires, cars being set on fire, a "lone" gun man who apparently shot someone, rocks and bottles being throw, fans streaking, people passed out on the streets, and countless arrests... I dont understand why fans have to resort to trashing and destroying their city because they won a game... Why is it trendy to do this? It seems like rioting after a big game is common place in todays society, but I feel it should never be escalated to these extremes...

Last night I was listening to the Lexington Police Scanner, and I could only shake my head at the things I was hearing... I honestly felt bad for the cops who were trying to deal with this situation...

Anyways, I was curious to see how others felt about rioting after sporting events, is it okay? Should these type of acts be accepted because its just a bunch of college kids living it up?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
And they say OWS is destructive.

It is amazing how similar activities can be relatively ignored depending on the context of the situation.

I agree it is sickening. I say if this is the type of behavior that things like this propagate, then I suggest get rid of the sport. I mean, they try to get rid of guns and drugs because of the problems they apparently cause then this should be right up there with it. Destruction of property is destruction of property, no matter how you slice it.

I hate it and I live it on a daily basis. Sickening, I am glad it is over. I could not go anywhere without someone saying "how about those cats". I reply back with "how about that POS Obama" - I only received a blank stare back in return. GRRR.....

Oh...and there is big party to welcome our boys home from the big game at Rupp Arena. The town is shutting down practically to go stroke the egos. They put these kids up on pedestals like they are some sort of god or war heros coming home from battle.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
one word: alcohol.
ok a few more words: alcohol+stupid people=riots

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

You would have been amazed at the things being said over the Lexington Police Scanner last night... At one point I heard "we have a naked man walking with a propane tank".... WTH???

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I always celebrate great things by destroying stuff.

Kitchen remodeled? Take a dump on the new counter top.

Got something awesome for your birthday? Set your car on fire.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure during the V-Day celebrations somebody set fire to the Empire State Building.

Maybe downing the World Trade Center was a celebration for colonizing Mars?

People are idiots.

link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

you beat me to it---exactly what I was going to say.

link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I believe they call that alcohol moonshine down there...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If people act like this when their favorite team wins... just imagine how they will act when grocery stores run out of food.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The fans aren't rioting because of the game.

They're using the game as an excuse for a riot. Big difference.

In Vancouver last year, win or lose, there would have been a riot. Unfortunately, sometimes it's the crowd mentaility that leads to this when you get large crowds of people in public places, many of whom are intoxicated and/or stoned.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

You mean in New Orleans? Not really hillbilly country. In Kentucky as well, especially among college students, the majority of the population is probably ignorant city people who haven't seen moonshine in their life

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
If people act like this when their favorite team wins... just imagine how they will act when grocery stores run out of food.

I doubt folks so stupid would even notice.

Not until the local McDonalds runs out of slime burgers would they even begin to realize their pathetic lives were in jeopardy.
edit on 3-4-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I believe its a lack of respect for ones town/city... Why would you want to destroy the place you live?? I remember the Vancouver riots last year after the SC Finals, it was ugly...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

, many of whom are intoxicated and/or stoned.

They are drunk, if they were only stoned, they would not have given a damn and would not have bothered to even get up to [insert destructive activity].
The stoners are the ones watching the drunks.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
rowdy celebration after winning the big one...vs...subdued acknowledgement of an exceptional effort...

without saying I support destruction of property, gun violence and i'm certain more than a couple of sexual assaults...

i'd go with the rowdy celebration...but if people take it too far...cops will be close by to let the dogs loose and turn on the water cannons; this is also entertaining to watch.

i was reading a story about two senior citizens in a dialysis clinic, i think, actually fighting about the Louisville vs Kentucky game the week before.

being that I grew up in Carbondale Illinois, i'm a witness to things that approach chaos during celebrations...its just the nature of partisanship.

as I try and respond to this thread, I'd have to say that if a riot didn't break out after Kentucky beat Kansas for the National Championship...that something is very wrong in America.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
and what the deal with the burning couches anyway?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Isn't this what Our Dear Leader wanted...to become more like Europe?

It's just an excuse to riot. People want to riot. The problem is, these idiots riot in places they shouldn't riot and don't riot in places they should.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
UNITED FOR THE TITLE!! AND IF CITY SOME HOW WIN....EXPECT HEADS TO COME OFF!!!

That's how riots start

LOL

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I feel like idiots riot so they can tell their friends down the road that they rioted... They think its cool to be destructive... And its one of those very few times that you "likely" wont get arrested, unless you're the needle in the haystack that gets caught...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
what's the real deal?

do some of you feel that it is better for people to riot out of anger than it is to riot in celebration?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Isn't this what Our Dear Leader wanted...to become more like Europe?

It's just an excuse to riot. People want to riot. The problem is, these idiots riot in places they shouldn't riot and don't riot in places they should.

You beat me to it.

You mention rioting in places, I want to expand that to the reasons to riot as well. You know, here in KY you could take someones home, food, water, cars, place curfews on the people or whatever else to remove their rights, but you take away this stupid ass game and there would be riots. Man the priorities of people.

Start a war with Iran? Sure, no problem just give me my basketball. Sounds like the Roman empire all over again. Distraction via games.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join