It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA - Startling Proof of Image Manipulation of Mars Photos

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

It would be nice if the object in question were in the photo you posted.

I referenced the source code for your post. Here is your image without the right side cut off.

The object in question is still middle-right.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Maybe its small rodents? or large insects?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It does appear odd but I don't know what the big scandal is. There is a certain amount of automated processing done to the images before they are transmitted to Earth. It's no secret.

The rovers' flight software provides a substantial amount of capability for doing onboard image processing prior to downlink, with the primary goal to increase the compressibility of images and thus to maximize the amount of data that can be sent back to Earth during each downlink session. The image processing services offered by the rover CPU include bad pixel correction, flatfield correction, frame transfer smear correction, image downsampling, image subframing, pixel summing, 12 to 8 bit scaling via lookup tables, and image compression.

starbrite.jpl.nasa.gov...

Sometimes the automatic processing doesn't work very well. More examples of the problem found in the OP can be found on sol 1354
marsrover.nasa.gov...

marsrover.nasa.gov...

Uh oh.
marsrover.nasa.gov...
marsrover.nasa.gov...

edit on 3/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayDub113
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I considered that too. And I think the reflectivity does have something to do with it.

But look at this.

There is nothing there in the first image, as shown in the second to cause such a "white-out".

This is blatant image tampering.

edit on 31-3-2012 by JayDub113 because: (no reason given)

When you lay it out that way, I can see what you're talking about very clearly. I have no idea what 'it' is, or if Phage could be right about local processing that generates artifacts and glitches occasionally. I gave you an S/F all the same for the thread. It's been awhile since an eagle eye'd person spotted something really new and wasn't wearing the Super-Deluxe model of tin-foil hat while putting it all together.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JayDub113

it looks as if something moved in the dirt all around it...
and in answer to the poster that says its the same in all of the three pics.
This is not true yes all three are smudged on the same object just different angles in three pics...
it is the same object but who knows if its something as simple as a test rocket from another country crash landed...
or a alien sand crab!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

So with your rhetorical question about "what would NASA do?" do you agree that both photos have obviously been manipulated? The thread isn't about 'what would NASA do' it's about 'NASA manipulated photos and here they are.'

Do you have anything to add pertaining to that topic, or ANY evidence to refute said supposition?

They have not "obviously been manipulated," in fact, that is yours to prove.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

You're hilarious. What thread are you reading? If you can look at those two pictures and NOT see what I am talking about then no amount of evidence will change your mind, so think what you want.

Phage,

I am open to the idea that these are examples of automated image processing, but providing other examples of that effect doesn't do anything to address the question of what we are seeing. That particular area caused said "automated processing" over the same object in two separate images. Is it just highly reflective? Very possible, but I would like to see a close-up on that area that WASN'T "automatically image processed" so we can see what is there. Can you help out finding an example of that?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Those are the only images available.
The unprocessed images could have been fetched from the buffer if anyone had thought it necessary at the time. Apparently they did not, or did not notice the problem. Or it could be a matter of data loss, in any case, nope nothing more to go on.
edit on 3/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It is indeed difficult to find any other pictures with that object in them.

I did find this though, taken by the front navigational camera on sol 1354.

This appears to be the same object in question without any "image artifacts". However it is really too far away to garner much detail. It is still interesting.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

You're hilarious. What thread are you reading? If you can look at those two pictures and NOT see what I am talking about then no amount of evidence will change your mind, so think what you want.

I see glare off a shiny flat rock. I repeat, what do you think you see?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Anyone notice what looks to be four 'fingers' on the right hand side of the pic., about a third of the way up from the bottom? or perhaps a gloved hand? I presume its 'thumb' is under the 'hand' (or glove)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Good find.
At first i thought it was just an over-exposed area of the photo caused by a brighter or more reflective part of the scene, but the more I look the less it appears to be.

I dont think it's caused by the automated image processing, as it's in different parts of the frame but covers the same area in the landscape, what would the odds of that be?

Can anyone else see small tracks going through the darker soil leading to the area in question?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I did a little more digging and found this. This is a much better image of the area in question with no "image artifacts".

The point-of-view in the third in the OP was from almost directly opposite.

So it would appear there is something there under the white-out.
edit on 1-4-2012 by JayDub113 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-4-2012 by JayDub113 because: Clarification

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Giving this a bump because it's been awhile and I am still curious. I am a firm believer in the answers are there you just have to look. I only want people to look more, to question more. That's all.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Why do the tracks in the ground that go right pass the object in question look like tracks? Those dark lines run parallel of each other, look at'em!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie

Why do the tracks in the ground that go right pass the object in question look like tracks? Those dark lines run parallel of each other, look at'em!

You are kidding right? Please tell me you are kidding.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It may have come from the wheels of the alien craft that placed the item in that locale.

BTW, just saying.

>u

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
oops
edit on 11-6-2012 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What part of heavily doctored and airbrushed is anyone not getting. Those smudges are airbrushed.

marsanomalyresearch.com... goes into great depth examining the pictures and taking away the alterations.

They're eye opening.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think this guy's evidence pretty much ends the conversation.

Anomaly explained.

marsrover.nasa.gov...

Thread should end here but it probably won't..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join