It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Is Dragged From Hospital And Dies Shortly After In Jail For Not Being Able To Walk (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Woman Is Dragged From Hospital And Dies Shortly After In Jail For Not Being Able To Walk (VIDEO)

This story is still unfolding, the below links cover the story in more depth;

Woman unhappy with care at St. Mary's hospital is arrested for trespassing, dies in jail

She yelled from a wheelchair at St. Mary's Health Center security personnel and Richmond Heights police officers that her legs hurt so badly she couldn't stand.

She had already been to two other hospitals that week in September, complaining of leg pain after spraining her ankle.

This time, she refused to leave.

A police officer arrested Brown for trespassing. He wheeled her out in handcuffs after a doctor said she was healthy enough to be locked up.

After the police wheel her from the hospital, in pain, she was unable to stand or get out of the police cruiser - so they DRAGGED HER OUT.

She would die 15 minutes later lying on the concrete floor of her holding cell.

She told officers she couldn't get out of the police car, so they dragged her by her arms into the station. They left her lying on the concrete floor of a jail cell. Just 15 minutes later, a jail worker found her cold to the touch.

Cause of death - blood clots that began in her legs and had reached her lungs by the time she had been hauled off to jail.

An EPIC FAIL on the part of American health care, and an epic fail on the part of the police.

This happened SIX MONTHS ago and it's just now reaching the MSM? This country is morally dead inside.

+33 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting and heart wrenching, WTF is wrong with "medical professionals" in this feckin country.

All I had to read was "She had already been to two other hospitals that week in September, complaining of leg pain after spraining her ankle." to know immediately that she had blood clots in her legs before I even finished reading the OP... and I'm just a feckin game tester.

I hope everyone that was involved in this dies at least as horrible a or worse death than she had.

I think I'm going to go puke in a sad rage now.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
my father was a surgeon. he would be enraged at the state of american medicine today! this should not happen in a "modern", first world country. you definitely will not see this in a european hospital!

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
this happend 4 months ago? where is her justice? why arent people going insane like the travon martin case? (rightfully so)

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well, that doctor is going to get sued for malpractice, that hospital is going to get sued for employing him and the city is going to get sued for employing those police officers and the mayor will probably end up resigning so he won't have to deal with the headache. I hope her family sues them all and ends up owning that town. This is America's deathcare system at work for your tax payer dollars.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is what we have become now if she had Ins would this have happened???
No!!! Why because she would make money for the Doc's and hospital, but having no coverage then why treat her, a waist of time and resource for it will be a freebee to do so, this is what most of you want , let the poor die so you the rich can pay less in Ins.
edit on 28-3-2012 by bekod because: editing

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Preposterously disgusting-WTH was she not at least referred/transported to a subsidised government hospital if she did'nt have Medical Insurance? (i imagine there are those hospitals,in America) My first thought was-embolism,and im not a doctor,or even a nurse.It seems that most doctors are ONLY in it for money these days-mercy and actual concern for the wellbeing of patients is apparentlyas dead as this poor woman.In my country i think the cops would have immediately taken her to the state hospital in the town.They certainly would not dare bring a wheelchairbound,painridden woman to the cells to be locked up,for fear of being a laughing-stock forever after,or thought to be mentally dearanged themselves.

+8 more 
link   
Wow, the whole world really failed this poor woman.

It appears the least amount of blame should fall on the police, they barely had any contact with her.

The blame should start with other drug-seekers who have tainted the system and made ER personnel, doctors, and police officers so jaded that everyone appears to be a drug seeker. That is where the first part of blame lies, and where the first part of the system fails.

The next part of the blame should fall on this woman's inept family. They left her on the streets? They weren't there at the hospitals? They weren't there when she was living in filth, and losing her home, and her children?

The next part clearly falls on the medical personnel, even though they did the ultrasounds, they obviously missed a lethal problem. They didn't do their jobs very effectively, and they should be held accountable for letting a woman die.

Of course, a large amount of blame falls on the woman herself. If she wasn't combative, and cursing at the people trying to help her, maybe she would have gotten more help. If she hadn't let herself fall so far in mental and physical health, maybe she would have been taken seriously. If she hadn't burned all of her previous bridges, and been left entirely destitute, where even her own family was refusing to help her, them maybe she wouldn't be dead. These things don't happen overnight, it takes a lifetime of screwups to find one's self in this situation.

What a shame, and what a clear sign of the times. There is no humanity today in any realm. Not in childcare, not in healthcare, not in police work, and not even in one's own family. Everyone is either an asset or a liability, and people are quick to get rid of liabilities, even if it is their own family member. What a shame this world has become.

link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Sad, sad story.

This story reminds me so much of the woman who waited 24 hours in a NY hospital waiting room before she keeled over and died. What is this world coming to?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by itsJUSTzo

Actually,that right there is a VERY good and pertinent question-i guess because her death does not have the potential for inciting riots+violence,thus maybe leading to a clampdown on gun ownership/Martial law?

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
How sad for her and her family. To think she lost her home in a tornado, then her children, then her life. This sort of thing could happen to anyone. People are so quick to judge.

This sort of thing happened to my husband. He had a seizure and died on the way to the hospital. They revived him. He broke both his knee caps and several bones in his feet during his seizure but they would give him anything for the pain because he has long hair and tattoos so they thought he was a druggie. To top it off when he came out of his coma, he went from a respirator in the CCU unit to being released in less than 48 hours. Happened right after they found out we didn't have insurance.

Being poor in America is turning out to be a death sentence for more and more people everyday.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

This story is very disgusting. The lack of compassion in the world is staggering.

IMHO this women died because of the moral judgment of the doctors and police. Because this women was homeless and complaining of pain that could not be associated with any visible medical condition, they probably assumed that she was just a homeless lady looking for a bed for the night.

St. Mary's officials say they did all they were supposed to do for Brown. "Our records show that, in this case, everything that should have been done medically was done properly. We found nothing that would have changed this tragic outcome,"

So despite evidence that there was a problem (her left ankle was swollen) they did not keep her there for overnight observation which could have very well saved her life. So no not all was medically done. Not to mention this was the third hospital she went to, so they must have turned her away as well.

*SIGH*

I don't want to make this political but when I hear conservatives talk about how our health care system should depend on the compassion of doctors and hospitals to help the poor and needy, I think of stories like this. Where was the compassion for this women? Where?!
edit on 28-3-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
why are the police officers not charged with involuntary manslaughter?

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Unfortunately this is an all too common occurrence. Several years ago my wife had pneumonia in both lungs and collapsed on the floor of our home. I called an ambulance and she was taken to a hospital (also a "St. Mary's") for treatment. During her intake, it was noted that she takes narcotic pain relievers for her diabetic neuropathy. She was discharged without being treated at all because they thought this 48-year-old grandmother was drug seeking, which couldn't be further from the truth.

She was waiting for me to get there as I'd had to make arrangements for someone to watch the kids, that's how fast they dismissed her. Well apparently they didn't want her sitting in her wheelchair in their lobby waiting for me, or laying on the floor when she fell out of it, so they called the cops who threatened to take her to jail for trespassing.

When I got there, I took her to a different hospital. She presented with a 105 degree fever and unable to breathe. The ER staff stripped the clothes off of her and put her in a harness above a tub and hosed her down with cool water trying to save her life. Thank God they did.

The incompetence of some medical facilities these days is staggering. I hope her family gets PAID.
edit on 3/28/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/28/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
That was and is creepy and surreal to watch that amount of a person’s life/death portrayed in front of an uncaring all Seeing Eye. This side note to the inhumanity of mankind is the amount of surveillance we are currently under. Where not one person video recorded seemed to care about this person’s life is appalling to say the least…

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sad they could of helped
her and saved her but
they treated her wrong.

what can we do?
nothing but put out
our prayers

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
We need human beings put back to work in the public sector not these corporate drones. That poor woman

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

sadly no, their is no gov hospital, but if your a vet of a war then yes their is the VA but i doubt she was vet.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

in other words " she being not Insured and no medical records , or having a Doc on call as her personal doc, we the hospital put her in the category of untreatable, thus having no reason to treat her"

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Raxoxane

sadly no, their is no gov hospital, but if your a vet of a war then yes their is the VA but i doubt she was vet.

I read the whole article, and I didn't get that impression anywhere?

She was treated at a pediatric hospital, and then transported by ambulance to a "better" hospital at her demand, and then treated there, with ultrasounds done, and she was under their care for many hours. This had nothing to do with money or insurance.

Sure, they made mistakes, because they identified her as a "drug-seeker" and that surely tainted their view of her pain, and they didn't do further testing, because they assumed she was lying to get drugs. Had she been a soccer mom, they would have treated her much better, but this still was not an issue of insurance or money, it was an issue of the prescription drug problem we have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join