It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is this? Strange thing on Google Maps

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A drained reservoir lined with poly, or something, sheeting.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
what i find more odd is the desire to dig up and plant rows of trees.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hmmm..... I think you may have hit it there! It makes no sense to be covering dirt. The sheer scale of that is enormous given the size of buildings along the sides of it. What could be worth covering?? Can't be water....for previous reasons.. but.. Hey, yeah. It sure could be the black 'waterproofing' of an area soon to be filled. That might explain why the one to the northeast which clearly is water, has the same black coloring. Perhaps the same kind of liner.

Note... I just noticed the natural dug out looking pond directly to the north. That isn't the one I saw that looks like it could be a filled area with a similar liner. North/north-east there is an airfield that is obvious by the small runways. Just a short distance from this one. Right off the edge of it's property is what may be a smaller version of this, if it is an empty reservoir and we're looking at the waterproofing.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added Note

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

You find the idea of orchards strange?
That's strange.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by omegacorps
what i find more odd is the desire to dig up and plant rows of trees.

The Chilean gov probably has some sort of conservation effort to keep the topsoil rich by reforestation.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I own mass forestry acreage and I am leasing the natural gas, oil and mineral rights to Oxy corp.

In the contractual lease they must replant the native flora to maintain the integrity of the top and base soil as part of the deal.
edit on 26-3-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i dont think its orchards way to vast. i know a lot of the world produce comes from there. its just all the same all the way to the coast. a vast tree farm at best.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
i think we are just over analyzing this mans dirt farm.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Can you post a screenshot of the historical image from 2002 from above as well, you can clearly see it is a lump of dirt.
also the furthest part of the blue on your image is still on a slant from the hill which doesnt make any sense, the land would need to be flat for it to stay in that shape.

I don't see a lump, I see an excavation.

The elevation model for Google Earth is not entirely accurate so some oddities show up when you try to look too closely. If the area has been excavated, it would not show in the elevation model.

Notice the amount of cultivation in the region. That much cultivation requires water.

Notice the large hacienda immediately south of the reservoir. This is also a clue that this is part of a large plantation.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)
When you zoom up as close as possible on the 2002 image you can clearly see an elevation.

Also I don't know why some farmer would spend thousands of dollars on a cover when they have plenty of water so evaporation is not an issue and when they dont need to keep it contaminate free like drinking water.
Arent those covered reservoirs meant for drinking water?
edit on 26-3-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

You may be right. I was thinking coffee but coffee doesn't seem to be a major product of Chile. Not sure what else would be so extensive.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
well its not a winery

www.winesofchile.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Just a polite invitation to read an intresting thread I posted today that I wish got as much attention as this one did:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

It's not a cover on top, its a lining on the bottom of the reservoir to prevent seepage. The reservoir would be for irrigation.

The region is described as having a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers. This would require storing water during the wet months.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It's a landfill. They cover it with giant black tarps so garbage doesnt fly around on windy days.

They have one in rio rancho nm.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

should have titled it Whats that smell. i seen that thread a few times today. and i would have clicked it had you named it different. i have the attention span of a goldfish. got to catch my eye ; ) like this one did.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

It's not a cover on top, its a lining on the bottom of the reservoir to prevent seepage. The reservoir would be for irrigation.

The region is described as having a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers. This would require storing water during the wet months.
If this was so wouldn't you see a decline along the edges? Where as this shows it to be flat along the edges

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
my thread sounds a lot like this one dose

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i had to email china lake navel weapons test range to get the answer. not sure it will work in this case though.

the person that contacted me back told me to ask about any thing on the range. gave me a few files too.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

You could be right.
www.geo-synthetics.com...

edit on 3/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
What is the deal with this separate tarp with the road dividing between it and the larger tarp?

Scroll to the right...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by omegacorps

should have titled it Whats that smell. i seen that thread a few times today. and i would have clicked it had you named it different. i have the attention span of a goldfish. got to catch my eye ; ) like this one did.
I did consider changing it but too late now I guess

edit on 26-3-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join