It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children, doom, and "mean world syndrome"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
If you would like to take a very in depth look at how I feel about this subject, read my short story I posted way back on ATS.

It's called "A Plea for Help" Just click on my signature link below, I believe it will resonate with many of you.

Starred and Flagged this is really a big issue these days.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
If you would like to take a very in depth look at how I feel about this subject, read my short story I posted way back on ATS.

It's called "A Plea for Help" Just click on my signature link below, I believe it will resonate with many of you.

Starred and Flagged this is really a big issue these days.

Hi Realtruth - I have been noticing the synchronisty of new threads posted with linking info - Your brilliant thread you mention would be good in the post entitled - My view on depression,
PS It is in medical issues forum
edit on 22-3-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Hi Realtruth - I have been noticing the synchronisty of new threads posted with linking info - Your brilliant thread you mention would be good in the post entitled - My view on depression,

Thank you very much, that thread was meant to reach out and touch a multitude of life's issues today, so many people are reaching out and looking within at the same time.

Age is only something perceived in this dimension and we need to treat little people the same as everyone else. I remember people talking down to me when I was very young, and thinking to myself " What is wrong with this person and why are they talking like a retard?" Although, many children and young adults cannot verbalize, or seem to quantify their feelings externally, it does not mean they should be disregarded.

I treat everyone the same. When I meet a young child I look them in the eye, shake their hand just as I would an adult.

Peace out,

RT

P.S. If you would like to post the link to my thread feel free to anytime, it was meant as a gift to everyone.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Originally posted by artistpoet

I treat everyone the same. When I meet a young child I look them in the eye, shake their hand just as I would an adult.

Peace out,

RT

Yes I am the same - I don't do baby talk - I see a soul in a body no matter what age the body is - who knows a young child may well be an old soul and older than me in reality.
Respect

PS - Yes thank you - I missed your thread first time around but now am subscribed to it

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
As a parent it is our responsibility to ensure our children have enough of both sides (dark and light) and while you can influence based on your own experiences and history (one way or the other), ultimately it becomes their decision to act for either or. They are their own spirits.
I have found great unrest (mentally/physically) comes from denying the basic right of spirit to grow.

I wonder what a world would really look like if the children ruled the world...

Great thread OP

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

Great thread OP

They actually do, it's just that us adults feed them rehashed BS and a flawed system, on a daily basis, but I agree allowing their individual spirits to shine through is very important.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

Others have asked the same question in various ways, with often-entertaining results...

And in some times and places, it has even been tried, usually with less entertaining results.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It's the same reason you don't show R rated movies to young kids, probably not healthy for most. Just because this is reality doesn't mean they should see it. And it really isn't reality, on ATS we get to see the weirdest stories out there, but that's not a good representation of the world.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Speak no evil...See no evil....Hear no evil.

The threads of fate hangs on 3 things, the things you see, the things you hear, and the things you speak...The fourth off-course is the personification the incarnation of the 3 as one, bringing and defining there action, there course, there fate, there predicament, there life's.

Three little goddesses stalking, following, brooding, molding, plotting, sewing, bestowing, shearing, cutting. There running around with scissors, but even scissors can be fatal once they trip and fall these scissor sisters just might trip and fall if there not carefull. These three sometimes there made of light, and sometimes of beauty, and sometimes there old crones, one blind, one deaf, one unable to speak, but in all they are birds of a feather just like there mother.

The things you see! your understanding of the world around you.

The things you hear! your knowledge of the world around you.

The things you speak! your experience and expression of the world around you.

In this day and age Partygirl, unlike some of the other ages what we have here is a possible information overload. It will start with the most sensitive to such things the most sharpest you can say, and in time eventually even the most dullest will come to see, know, and speak it.

I don't know should you let the kids see the doom and gloom? Not my question to answer, since it is none of my concern. But curiosity stuck it's nose in anyways. Another question! Should you let them be ignorant of what is going on?

As you know in the past it was the thing to do to keep the kids in ignorance of the world and there surroundings. They the ones of those generations thought that they could stem the tide of fate and create there own little worlds by keeping there progeny in blissful ignorance, there is some wisdom in doing such and there is some stupidity. Guess which there was most of?

And now a days, as such there might be a little bit of the other side playing it's course. Information overload, it slows down to a creep the mind, it overloads the senses, and with there ignorance they try to block it and remain in there own little worlds in there heads. But ignorance was always a poor shield and always failed in the end, for it was never meant to be used as a shield to begin with.

What the generations of the past have had that today's do not have as much of, is the comfort of there own little worlds, there own little paths going down there own little threads, blissfully ignorant of other threads that surrounded them, a more concrete and straight lined view of there surroundings, there world. They did not wake up back then and see through the TV or Net the other side of the world and its problems, they did not wake up in the morning and wondered or pondered beyond there veil and beyond there particular worlds, there city, there town, there village. Going about there business like today, only things were more compact, and less vast, more predictable, less changeable, more streamlined.

But then again, no it is was not.
The world is the same Partygirl, there is nothing new under the sun.
There was doom and gloom then, and there is doom and gloom now, the types and definitions of those dooms and glooms have changed. But the fact that they have always been around in different forms has not...And it will always be so, such is life.

I would say do not burden them kids with more then they can handle, but do not burden them with less then they can handle Partygirl. To do one might be fatal, to do the other might be fatal as well. Fate you see is a dangerous and fatal thing to measure and weigh because when you do, you measure and weigh yourself and your whole world were do you fit into the mold. And in doing so you seal your fate.

Or to put it into another lingo, the observer in observing changes what is observed.

The Observer Effect

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Thanks for that, I had no idea about the observer effect. Its really quite interesting.

Perhaps its all in the way they are taught to process what they experience by their parents. The parents shouldn't make them too afraid of life but its no use hiding the truth.

Look at the most popular books now for young people, like The Humger Game. Its all doom, very dark future si-fi world, that kind of thing. Not like Harry Potter, which is much more cheerful. Kids must feel the end is coming, they can always pick up on what we deny...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I don't think most kids are so easily able to pick up on the doom and gloom as you are able to Partygirl.

It must be something in your upbringing, you have a skill for it I think.

I also think that for such things to happen there must be a catalyst, most kids are blissfully ignorant of what is going around them. That's why most parents try to keep anything that goes around them all hush hush, but every situation is different and about different things. But in anything the kid is able to pick up, there must first be a catalyst a click going on maybe something in the kids head clicks, or it might be more physical and right in the kids sight that clicks.

But yes the kids are not that stupid and they will notice what the parents try to hide, even if they can not fully describe and understand what it is. They will and do sense something is amiss, kids are like the antennas picking up strange signals coming from all around them, how they interpret those signals is dependent on many things, one of which being there parents tune, the waves they are sending out.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
In any situation that's one of my top priorities: How do the kids feel? Will they be safe?

I feel like a shot at the American dream is no longer a guarantee. Issues like the economy, the degradation of values, and the environment are contributing to a more morose future.

I pray, when I do have kids, that they will have the same opportunities I had.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Once I knew someone who liked to watch the history channel and lived in a house with his cousins and their kids. He was watching their "armageddon week" and their oldest boy caught some of the shows and got really angry and asked his parents why they had him if they knew the world was just going to end. The parents were pretty mad at my buddy, and told him not to turn on the history channel anymore.

Pretty depressing though, this 2012 stuff is everywhere and you know the kids think about it. That on top of the hostile neighborhoods of today.. when I was 10 i could ride my bike around the neighborhood and I knew every kid my age within a half a mile. Nowadays people don't know their neighbors, and the websites tell you your neighborhood is infested with pedophiles. Scary world for a kid.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I remember being fifteen, and going to school one day in my army cadet uniform, (under orders)
To go after school to a certain air raid siren, ans wait till a certain time for it to sound......
When it did, or if it failed to work, we had to report it to our CO next week on parade.......
This was a country wide exercise in the days of duck and cover...........
We thought we were the last line of defense of the country, and those of us who were involved, trained in all seriousness for that situation......even though we were boys twelve to seventeen......
There were way more units of this type back then too, army, airforce, navy,.......we marched in community parades. and ceremonies,as well as participated in military manouvers, and small arms, as well as other skills....
Going to two months training in the summer even....for the elite ones...
There may be new perils to worry about for children these days, but we had some serious thoughts of our own back then......
I can still remember much of that training and the attitude that went with it......
Being trained as part of what is called a mobile support column.....for after nuclear attack recovery etc....
We were taught the basics of nuclear warfare.....we expected it eventually...inevitably even....
Lots of Sgt Fury, GI Joe and sgt Rock, and Terry and the Pirates ...........
The Blackhawks, and other quasi military heroes......
I think todays trepidation has far more widespread causes however.......it is the level or fear thats important maybe.....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Partygirl
Because of all this doom and gloom that children and teens are picking up, says the article, they develop "mean world syndrome," which causes them to see the world as a cold and dark place, damaging optimisim and effecting their personality for life.

So teenagers are now starting to get an education on reality.

I hate to be a cynic, but life generally is a cold, dark and pessimistic place, with occasional shots of idealism and wishful thinking providing long-term coping mechanisms in our ephemeral existences.

The amount of information which we have at our fingertips is, no doubt, responsible for more and more nihilistic, unsatisfying realisations from teenagers.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

Exactly. And only of we see the world as a dark place we could make it better (Although it's not likely unless there is serious doom first..). If we are happy with the world the way it is, then we will never change it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Today's teenagers were in kindergarden thru third grade when those crazy people drove airplanes into those buildings. Since that period in time many bad things have happened as a result. It's overwhelming for adults, so I can imagine the teens are at a loss on how to procede in life. We have lost many civil liberties in the name of national security. Living out in the country side, and traveling only nationally cuts down on alot of stress. People create stress for other people. Buy a large piece of land and move into the center of it, quit cable, and quit reading the paper. Get back to nature. Best of luck to all. Hug your children alot and tell them you love them all the way along in life.
edit on 23-3-2012 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You know, no wonder, those who are in lead are not in contact with what we want, or let alone kids!

Just see this speech:

edit on 23-3-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm thinking that its just a natural progression of the way information is now spread. Back in the 50 information was not as available as it is now. It's Good to bring up current topics and especially the future. We all live on one planet and if we didn't have children worried about future we would not and could not progress. Maybe if the previous generation had the concerns growing up we would be in a better situation now. As for my children I ready don't sugar coat topics its the same as ignoring the problem. Kids these day are able to make the changes that concern them with social media I think we are starting to see alot of change information is power!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Look at the most popular books now for young people, like The Humger Game. Its all doom, very dark future si-fi world

I just can't get away from ads for that god awfull film. Even on the WeatherChannel, these commercials are showing it as thee biggest thing ever, with hundreds of young fans lined up to view. Teens who have to kill teens. Ancient Rome.

Just as in the days of Noah

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Look at the most popular books now for young people, like The Humger Game. Its all doom, very dark future si-fi world, that kind of thing. Not like Harry Potter, which is much more cheerful. Kids must feel the end is coming, they can always pick up on what we deny...

If the next generation wish to improve their lot, there is but one way that they may do so. They can go, as an entire group, to the White House, and they can stand in front of it and demand to know whether the government is willing to literally shoot all of them. If the government replies no, they can then tell it to stand down.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join