It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baffling Ilness Strikes Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Turns Children into Mindless "Zombies"

This article came out on Tuesday but I haven't seen anything on it here as yet.
It seems there is a not so new Illness (but new to most I would imagine) that is affecting children in Africa. Popped up in the Sudan during the 60's but seems to be spreading.

It's called the "nodding disease" and it's a baffling illness that has struck thousands of children in northern Uganda. The illness brings on seizures, violent behavior in some (debated), personality changes, and a host of other unusual symptoms.

It seems some parents have resorted to tying their children up just so they can go and farm their fields.

The effort to restrain the children is not unwarranted. In one of the most bizarre symptoms of this tragic illness, children with the disease are reportedly setting fire to buildings in their communities. Coupled with the aimless wandering this disease provokes in victims, this is a deadly combination. More than 200 people have been killed in fires believed to be set by the zombified children.

The CDC and WHO have been "working" on it but so far have no idea of the cause, how it transmits or any potential cure .Anti-epileptic medication at this point seems to only slow the onset of symptoms.

The seizures are especially worrisome as this quote describes.

One mystery surrounding the disease is the seizures themselves. While typically seizures are either randomly occurring or follow some singular cue/pattern, the nodding disease seems to have multiple triggers, including eating new foods, changing weather, and other changes.

(Jason Oh says CNN reporters messed up and that it's familiar foods trigger the seizures, not unfamiliar ones like bars of chocolate.)

Seizure often leave the children soiled with urine and drooling. Local nurses are afraid to touch the infected. States local nurse Elupe Petua, "I feel, because I don't know what causes it, I don't even know how it transmits, when I touch them I feel that I can also get the infection because I don't know what causes it."

The seizures eventually leave many children unable to walk, only able to drag their bodies along the ground as flies tried to attack them.

We have all heard of Government medical experiments, especially during the 60's. Is this something that was pre planned. That has been known might spread and there for said governments have started to prepare Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness? Does KONEY 2012 have anything to do with it?

Or is this some freak disease similar to rabies? Either way this is something to watch.

SOURCE
edit on 22-3-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is so sad. My personal gut reaction is that it is some kind of environmental poisoning, maybe accidental or maybe racial purging.

There will probably some Ugandan Christian preacher to come along and try to cast the evil spirits out of these poor children.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Double post, my apologies.

edit on 22-3-2012 by ofNight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If this is natural, the potential of it being weaponized is horrifying.

If this is a test for a weapon, one can only hope that it is never utilized on the masses.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Vardoger,
Thank you for posting this find. Every one should read this thread!
It does scare me, and I do feel for those children. What I have always suspected with new debilitating diseases that effect large areas and large numbers of citizens, instinctively I tend to feel it could potentially be a form of weaponry in those situations. Disease, and literally use the word 'Zombie' to describe it. Enviromental poisoning sounds like a good reason this could happen as well, who knows if it was intentional or not though? I feel a huge percent of the un-cureable horrid diseases that we already have like this are military made, so there is a chance this one was too. Since the 60's? I will no doubt be following this thread and story.. Poor Children. It is very scary and hard to fight disease these days every where, all disease is getting stronger and spreading, I feel for everyone, everywhere. If this is intentional... I am determined to try and stop it everywhere! (Oh if only...sigh)
Thanks for sharing. I will subscribe and return for more information on this! Keep us updated! Thank you.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This sounds like what happened to those girls in NY recently!

On a more serious note, I have to agree with an above poster. This sort of almost sounds like some symptoms of an organophosphate poisoning. Or...a poisoning from insecticides for those who don't know what organophosphates are.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That article did not inspire confidence - with it's strange use of English and silly spelling mistakes. Look I travelled throughout Africa and lived in Uganda. Whould you like a list of all the things I got? On my assessment with the Council's Occupational Health for a job I got on my return, they were beside themselves with excitement. I had never had any of the 'routine' health problems. Instead I had had things they had never heard of. And that's with living standards far above most of these kids - who suffer from insanitary conditions, poor nutrition and a whole host of parasites just waiting to squirm their way into one's body. You even have to iron your knicker elastic because a certain insect lays eggs in clothing hung out to dry, wihich hatch and burrow into your body. Heck there are things which start out getting into the soles of your feet and end up in your brain.
But it's not a plot and there isn't some mystery illness waiting to sweep the West.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
From wiki

Best guess is that black flies carrying Onchocerca volvulus worm has "something" to do with it. Even though there are other areas with the worm that do not have "nodding disease"

Looks like this disease has gotten more light due to the Kony stuff as a quick google search brings up more articles within the last few days.

t is currently unknown what causes the disease, but it is believed to be connected to infestations of the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus, which is prevalent in all outbreak areas.[10] O. volvulus, a nematode, is carried by the black fly and causes river blindness. In 2004, most children suffering from nodding disease lived close to the Yei River, a hotbed for river blindness, and 93,7% of nodding disease sufferers were found to harbor the parasite--a far higher percentage than in children without the disease.[11] A link between river blindness and normal cases of epilepsy,[12] as well as retarded growth,[13] had been proposed previously, although the evidence for this link is inconclusive.[14] Of the connection between the worm and the disease, Scott Dowell, the lead investigator into the syndrome for the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), stated: "We know that [Onchocerca volvulus] is involved in some way, but it is a little puzzling because [the worm] is fairly common in areas that do not have nodding disease".[10] Andrea Winkler, the first author of a 2008 Tanzanian study, has said of the connection: "We could not establish any hint that Onchocerca volvulus is actually going into the brain, but what we cannot exclude is that there is an autoimmune mechanism going on."[5] In the most severely affected region of Uganda, infection with microfilariae in epileptic or nodding children ranged from 70% to 100%.[15]

The CDC is investigating a possible connection with wartime chemical exposure. The team is also investigating whether a deficiency in vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) could be a cause, noting the seizures of pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy and this common deficiency in disease sufferers.[5] Older theories include a 2002 toxicology report that postulated a connection with tainted monkey meat, as well as the eating of agricultural seeds provided by relief agencies that were covered in toxic chemicals.[6]

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Sounds like somekind of Nerve Toxin..has anyone been flying around there spraying something from the sky? We call this Chem Trails here in the US.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

My instinct-Some Kind of Military Nerve Toxin. Who would do something like that to children! I wish them Health and Happiness! I had not heard anything about this. We really dont get allot of World News in the US.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

The effort to restrain the children is not unwarranted. In one of the most bizarre symptoms of this tragic illness, children with the disease are reportedly setting fire to buildings in their communities. Coupled with the aimless wandering this disease provokes in victims, this is a deadly combination. More than 200 people have been killed in fires believed to be set by the zombified children.

This has to be the most bizarre illness I've ever heard of. These symptoms indicate the disease has the ability to modify a persons neurological wiring. That is really worrying stuff, but I highly doubt something so advanced could be created by scientists. It's like something out of The Happening. That is truly weird...

edit on 23-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Reminds me of a documentary I saw called "Zombie Alligators".

The symptoms sound very similar except these alligators were dying left and right.

They traced the cause of this particular disease to a Thiamine deficiency.

Apparently, Thiamine is needed for normal brain and nerve function,
and the reason they weren't getting enough was because of an over population of a non-native species of fish.
Of which had something in them called "Anti-Thiaminase", that destroys any Thiamine stored or ingested.

Once the non-native fish population was gotten under control, the alligators got better and started thriving again.

It'd be interesting to find out what these kids diets consist of...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

This is not news and was in the media a couple of years ago

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

If, and it's a big if, it's something being planted and tested on a group of people there could be multiple things here... I mean, zombies have been all the rage for the past few years, with all the movies and games using a zombie theme, (although not new, I believe there has been a sure uptick in the amount of zombie themes) and it could be a way to get the masses used to the thought of zombie preparedness and whatnot... Now it could be used another way that if it got introduced to the USA it could be the "needed event" to rule in military force because so many civilians are running around destroying property and such.

Kinda jumbled around what I was trying to say, and it is crazy sounding, but ya know it's interesting to entertain the idea. : D

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
almost sounds like, if it isn't a worm or parasite or such, it could be a prionic mutation of some sort - not unlike mad cow disease (cattle), scrapie (sheep), fatal insomnia (humans), creutzfeldt-jakob (humans), gerstmann-straussler-scheinker (humans), kuru (humans) etc...... many prion diseases cause neuropathy and encephalopathy and general crazy behavior, which could easily explain the symptoms observed in this "zombie disease." another interesting (albeit grosssssss) tidbit, many prionic mutations are associated with cannibalism - another easy connection to make between "zombie-ism" and prion disease.

it also sounds like it could be a variation of rabies, which is a virus and not a prionic mutation.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
They say it happened in the Sudan in the 1960s. Incredibly bizare, and at first I thought I was reading a hoax.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Actually from what I have read eating new foods is not a trigger. When presented with new food they the same effects are NOT witnessed. Since they stop developing I would say all the foods the kids ate prior to coming down with the disease are burned into their minds and so new foods don't make the same connection or get the same reaction.

The disease is linked to a parasite, the CDC just doesn't know in what way. I think all the bits about kids burning down houses and being violent are all exaggerations and myth.

It's pretty freaky though.
edit on 24-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

join