It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe weather: Texas/Oklahoma 3/18/12

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just an FYI; there's an isolated threat of severe weather in the areas mentioned in the title. Just about every professional storm chaser in the USA is there currently and streaming live video. There's a decent chance of witnessing a photogenic tornado at some point.

www.spc.noaa.gov...

www.chasertv.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I believe it. It has been terribly windy here all day long, blowing west northwest. Head's up from central to north Texas and into central and eastern Oklahoma...From there, it may go on into Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri.

Be safe, y'all! Thanks for the warning OP!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

a place i use a lot is tornadoalleylive.com ive used them a lot to see what is coming towards the air capitol, so i know if i need to get out of here or park my car under something to get away from the hail.

im going to check out the two links you posted to see what they are like

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It's pretty junky looking outside the Bunker here in OKC. My Mesonet radar is showing some good, 40k' storms with rotation down around the Altus, OK area. The OKC area looks clear right now, but that could change as the afternoon heating has it's effect. Will let you know.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Everyone in those areas, stay safe, keep a weather eye and head for cover if you need to.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LetsGoViking

I have family in that area. Can you narrow it down some? East or West of Altus?

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Due west/southwest of Altus. 3 large supercells are about 2 hours away from Altus.

:edit: it looks like one supercell will go north of Altus and the others will go south.
edit on 18-3-2012 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Stay safe and hope that the storm chasers have a bad day at work with no tornadoes!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

There are three cells North East of Altus, with rotation, tops +50k, but NO TVS (Tornado Vortex Signature), and tracking to the N-NE. There are two S-SW of Altus, one with rotation, NO TVS, track NE. Looks like Altus will get wet, wind, and maybe so hail from the outflows. So far that's all I can see.

Cheers, and be safe!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Thanks to both that responded. My family is about 20 to 30 miles due east of Altus. Sounds like they will be missed unless something changes.

Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
These storms may produce tornadoes but they say Texas/Arkansas are supposed to have record-breaking flooding tomorrow through the rest of the week. Every weather report I've heard says it's going to be less severe weather, and more flooding than anything.

Not sure about severe weather today, but there may be a bit tomorrow as well. I'm thinking more flooding than tornadoes is likely from everything I've read, but who knows.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tmar11

From looking at the weather charts. it looks like chunky wx for Central, East OK, and Western, North AR and SW MO. Keep an eye open and stay safe.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Looking at the risks of tornadoes and they are about a 3 and 4,but always stay alert cause it could change.

www.weather.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm buckled up and ready for whatever show will take place tonight in E. Oklahoma.

Take care folks.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
keeping my fingers crossed it misses me. rain i can take. hail and damaging winds? i'll pass thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
uggg... it's 3:35 in the morning and the wind is freaking me out! the radar says the sky is clear but i keep hearing it rumble and then the wind gusts super hard. it's getting stronger and now i can't sleep.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

Ugghh, I live right smack in the middle of Central Texas, between Waco and Austin. I really hope it doesn't get as nasty as some have said. I have to be out in it today driving back and forth between classes. Will keep everyone updated with what's going on in our area after I get back this afternoon. Already saw lightening this morning when I took the kids to the bus stop, some sprinkles, windy, and warm already.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

waco and south of waco is definitely going to get it. i'm thinking it might possibly just graze austin with the bottom tip. it'll be easier to tell in an hour or so. it's not looking good. maybe it will die out a bit? that's all we can hope for but it could gain some strength before it gets to us (i'm in austin).

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Do take care

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Thanks for the info Pasiiphae. It's starting to rain here and it's thundering now. Just took my daughter to her busstop and lightening hit right in front of my car. We were like "WHOA!" Thankfully we weren't driving, just sitting there waiting. I live about 15-20 miles west of main Fort Hood/Killeen in Lampasas Co. But I will be in Killeen at least half the day on main campus. If the weather gets too bad here I may either skip classes this morning (only have 2 morning classes today) or just sit tight on campus until the weather slacks off a bit. I HATE driving in heavy rain and wind. You stay safe there in Austin. Keep us updated on your area. Will be praying for you guys as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join