It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spring Equilux 4 days early?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Just asking here..

Was perusing the weather for my local zip (rain, lots):
www.wunderground.com...:95003.1.99999

..noticed Sunrise 7:16am... Sunset 7:16pm.. days of equal sunrise/set are called "equiluxes" (from WikiP.)

Making today, Mar 16th 2012, the "Spring Equilux"..?.. yes?

"...there are two distinct identifiable days per year when the length of day and night are closest to being equal; those days are referred to as the "equiluxes""

Based on what the net tells me, this years Spring Equilux was supposed to be in 4 days, 3-20-12, to wit:

"The Spring Equinox, also known as the Vernal Equinox, conventionally marks the official first day of spring in the United States. This year the Spring Equinox occurs on Thursday, March 20 at 1:48 a.m."

whassupinthemilkyway.blogspot.com...

Sunrise & Sunset on 3-20-12: 7:10am / 7:19pm (here

Does leap year factor into this?.. or is it just one of those proto-"normal" variances mom Earth tosses at us now & then?.. is today even the Equilux?..

..and if it is 4 days early..I'll admit ignorance... I have no idea how or why.. that's why I'm asking you fine lot.

Thanks..
edit on 16-3-2012 by GovtFlu because: badness made good

edit on 16-3-2012 by GovtFlu because: spelling, am/pm

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The date of the equilux varies based on your latitude. Not everyone has the same day.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Have you seen this?

It's "Winter Forward" now, not "Spring Forward"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The time change used to be a month from now.
In Spring.
It's still Winter until the 20th.

They moved up the date to March in 2005.
7 years ago.
It used to begin on the first Sunday in April.
So... doesn't anyone suspect it was changed for some hidden, nefarious reason?
I do.
But I can't put my finger on it.
But that Sun rising 2 days early in Greenland thing comes to mind.

Plus degrees in December (Polar night ends TWO DAYS early? )

And the Boat/Smile Moon thing too.

Welcome to the Equator!! Everywhere on Earth !! USA-UK-Canada

Something seems wacky.

It used to be even later than the first Sunday in April. Originally, in 1966, Daylight Savings Time was scheduled for the last Sunday in April

From 1945 to 1966, there was no federal law regarding daylight saving time, so states and localities were free to choose whether to observe it, and could choose when it began and ended. By 1962, the transportation industry found the lack of nationwide consistency in time observance confusing enough to push for federal regulation. This drive resulted in the Uniform Time Act of 1966 (P.L. 89-387). The act mandated standard time within the established time zones and provided for advanced time: clocks would be advanced one hour beginning at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday in April and turned back one hour at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday in October. States were allowed to exempt themselves from DST as long as the entire state did so. If a state chose to observe DST, the time changes were required to begin and end on the established dates. In 1968, Arizona became the first state to exempt itself from DST. In 1972, the act was amended (P.L. 92-267), allowing those states split between time zones to exempt either the entire state or that part of the state lying within a different time zone. The newly created Department of Transportation (DOT) was given the power to enforce the law. Currently, the following states and territories do not observe DST: Arizona, Hawaii, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.[2]
en.wikipedia.org...

From 1987 to 2006, daylight saving time in the United States began on the first Sunday of April...By the Energy Policy Act of 2005, daylight saving time (DST) was extended in the United States beginning in 2007. DST currently starts on the second Sunday of March, which is three or four weeks earlier than in the past
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 3/16/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Indeed.. & thanks.

All seems to be "on time".. normal, no obvious doom or magic Earth voodoo going on, found a reasonable explanation:

open.salon.com...

"...the days on which the length of day and night are exactly equal, called the equilux, occur a few days before the spring equinox.."

"The dates of this year’s spring equilux in the US occurs today March 17".. or depending where on Earth one happens to be.

Today being the equilux makes perfect sense with a 3-20 equinox..

Would have been an interesting topic to look into if it had arrived 4 days early.. maybe next year. If there is one..lol

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Hadn't seen that.. interesting.

..and thanks.

Add.. I see above in my post where I confused the equilux and Equinox.. similar but different. I confused myself..lol.. my bad..
edit on 16-3-2012 by GovtFlu because: add

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The nefarious reason is retail.
They want as many daylight hours as possible to get folks in the stores and spending money.

Someone probably did a study and found folks spend more money when it;s light outside.....and

According to weatherunderground for my area today:
www.wunderground.com...

Sunrise & Sunset
7:40 AM
7:39 PM

for Detroit
wunderground

Sunrise & Sunset
7:41 AM
7:40 PM

edit on Fri Mar 16 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Enjoyed your thread. Thx for taking the time to put it up. Very interesting the kid's site you linked where they explain why day and night are no longer equal or as close to equal as they're going to get from any given latitude at the equinox. Interesting way of getting around something that's not right - dis-educate the kids. Beyond that, I'm speechless.

top topics

join