It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Pink Slime' Beef Off US School Menu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

'Pink Slime' Beef Off US School Menu

www.bbc.co.uk

chools across the US are to be allowed to stop serving so-called "pink slime" beef to their pupils at mealtimes.

In a statement, the US Department of Agriculture said schools buying beef from a central government scheme could now choose from a range of options.

The term has become used to describe a type of beef trimming commonly found in school and restaurant beef in the US.

Reports it was widely used in schools prompted a popular outcry, although the beef is certified as safe to eat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I don't even live in America and am pleased about this news...for the sake of humanity along with the way our (Australian) government tends to take precedent from the US.

Even though here, parents make lunch for their child to take to school, I would be disgusted if this crap showed up on our shores.

The department (USDA) said the change was "due to customer demand"

Since when has any government department listened to the demands of the people? This is a step forward in it's self!

It is more likely to avoid any further, deeper investigation in to the production and health standards of the 'pink slime'.

This is a win for the good guys.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I am very thankful of this as well. I had a health teacher in middle school who was very adamant about educating us about food quality. She told us school lunches were the worst. I'm sure no administrators heard about this for a while at least! But that always stuck with me. I brown bagged it from then on and packed my kids lunches as well. What ever happened to the (health) staples and real food? Sigh. I know it's cheaper to serve the junk they do... but with the ever rising health issues, is it really cheaper in the long run?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

In a statement, the US Department of Agriculture said schools buying beef from a central government scheme could now choose from a range of options.

What this says to me is, that pink slime will still be one of the choices.

The school districts that are low on finances will probably choose the least expensive option, which very well could be the pink slime meat.

Or maybe the person who buys the school food will not the slime is in the food they choose to buy.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
One less thing in the food. Maybe if people did some serious studies they would investigate the patents used on wet aging and study the chemistry's interaction with the body. Sounds harmless at first glance.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

This is great news!

However, I just wonder where all of the already produced "pink slime" will go. If corporations are cheap enough to do this in the first place, they are certainly cheap enough to not waste it.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
School lunches sucked, and I usually wasted mine even though they were free. Should have felt worse about wasting food that could feed a starving person, but it just didn't jump at me as physical nourishment. Often I would just eat a huge dinner and a couple snacks throughout the day, maybe that's why I'm so skinny now. We Americans really must be somethin' in the eyes of the world, constantly asleep we are.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FinalAccount2008
We Americans really must be somethin' in the eyes of the world, constantly asleep we are.

We are friggen morons. I have a few friends in the UK (ok.. Facebook friends haha) and they are completely shocked on a daily basis about the things that go on here.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

As the (English) child of a single-parent family I qualified for free school dinners back in the day (I'm 40) but I can't shake off the feeling that things were just as bad then but possibly in different ways. We got "warm" meals but they were mass produced, disgusting and in my picky opinion, inedible. The Nuns used to patrol the dinner room making sure that we didn't just throw it all away. We would try and give away as much as possible to pupils that wanted it when the Nuns weren't looking. God I hated that food.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It really should come as no surprise to anyone. Prisoners get better food then our children. And it has been documented Prison vs School

top topics

join