It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK police to be monitoring Twitter ahead and during Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So I was tumbling around the internet and found this, and though ATS would like to know...

The Telegraph - Police to Monitor Twitter

As a result, it plans to invest in technology that can analyse social media as well as setting up dedicated Twitter accounts for all 32 boroughs.

The Home Office is also funding a project “to develop the use of social media intelligence technology ahead of the Olympic Games, including relevant training.

I think the real issue to me would be, that they won't stop after the Olympics.
I mean UK already has all the CCTV, and now they will monitor all the tweets that go out...
And the tech they are developping, isn't restricted to Twitter, it would be used to analyse social media.

Once they developpe the tech, then how long until they give or sell it to other countries...

I mean think of the implication it could have on middle eastern countries, where social media was the only way for the real people to tell the world what was really going on.

Maybe I am just overthinking it... what you guys think?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Once they can, they will.

2nd

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
they have been watching twitter and fb since the riot's in the summer over here,when most likely threats will be inside jobs,just another step to full blown internet cencorship IMO

freedom of speach has went clean out of the window.
edit on 14-3-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Whats new ?

The only difference now is that the elite admit Big Brother is watching the people.

This shows how the British public are so happy to accept Big Brother watching their every move.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

Monitoring Twitter will probably be but one of the security legacies attributed to "Olympic security".

During the Games an aircraft carrier will dock on the Thames. Surface-to-air missile systems will scan the skies. Unmanned drones, thankfully without lethal missiles, will loiter above the gleaming stadiums and opening and closing ceremonies. RAF Typhoon Eurofighters will fly from RAF Northolt. A thousand armed US diplomatic and FBI agents and 55 dog teams will patrol an Olympic zone partitioned off from the wider city by an 11-mile, £80m, 5,000-volt electric fence

www.guardian.co.uk...

Just for beginners...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
doesn't gchq already do this?maybe the police are after a pat on the back from the murdoch media.isn't there a thread about someone mouthing about soldiers on facebook getting done?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapha
Whats new ?

The only difference now is that the elite admit Big Brother is watching the people.

This shows how the British public are so happy to accept Big Brother watching their every move.

Who said anyone here is "Happy" about such thing's?

Just because it's happening, that doesn't mean people are happy about being constantly monitored all the time..

Edit: Just because you may not see people complaining or protesting, that doesn't mean It's not happening.

Oh, and It's also worth pointing out as well that the poster just below me is making a really great point. For those who don't want people to see what you have to say,.. don't post it online for all to see.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
So what exactly is wrong with anyone monitoring any social networking sites,they're not actually supposed to be private are they? If you want your business kept private,don't put it somewhere public where it can be seen by the 1.5 billion or so people on earth who all have internet access.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Pfffft I hope not, ive wrote a lot of crazy stuff on Twitter, mostly about blowing up police stations, court rooms and council server storage.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
Pfffft I hope not, ive wrote a lot of crazy stuff on Twitter, mostly about blowing up police stations, court rooms and council server storage.
be careful man!go have a read of the thread about facebook user who ranted about soldiers,stated his opinion,thats all-hate crime.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapha
Whats new ?

Ooooopppsss missed this one last time.I am a member of the British public and I'm actually glad this big brother chap is watching when he caught someone vandalising my car(only a can of Coke but still caught).I genuinely have nothing to hide and it won't make any difference to my life if we have CCTV on every single street in the UK or none at all.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
only a complete idiot would publicly broadcast on twitter and think it is somehow private... I guess that is 90% of all twitter users.

new topics

top topics

join