It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Potter is the devil (not really)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
When the 4th HP book came out, I went to Borders to get it. I had my daughter with me, who at the time was about 4. A little old witch confronted me about it, saying that it was evil and promoted witchcraft and blah blah blah. I asked her if she'd read any of them. She said no, but that's what she'd heard. She then said that I was a horrible parent for allowing my child to read it. (Again, she was 4, she couldn't read yet!) I was so angry that I told her off right there in line with about 20 other people watching. I told her she was a stupid, brainwashed Bible thumper who needs to worry about her own soul instead of mine--there's plenty there to keep her busy. I also told her that she can choose to not read it, but she has no right to dictate what I read or will allow my children to read, and to mind her own goddamned business.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You have a right to believe in whatever religion you want, but that seems just wrong to put a kid through. Scary people would subject their own kids to such blatant psychological warefare... Would that really be what jesus would want you to do?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa
reply to post by boymonkey74

Hello, really liked your post. Very appropriate for whats going on in my home right now. I was sent to one of those "Jesus camps" when I was a kid, and listened to the drivel until I was 13, and had enough.
In my 40's now, when my 10 year old asked to go with some of her friends to Bible school camp (thats what they are called around here), I said yes. That afternoon I picked her up, she was in tears because the preacher had told her she was a bad child,and would be sentenced to eternity in HELL! What a load of crap to do to a 10 year old innocent child.
I read the preacher the riot act, and she never went back, bad thing is, it was the same church camp I went to, would have thought it might have improved some since Id been there- obviously not.

Tonight, my now 15 almost 16 year old is going to church with a friend of hers. We will see what the result is.(different church this time) supposedly a little easier going. If so, thats fine, if not, she will probobly choose not to go back. But it is her choice.

I intentionally raised my child in a non-religious environment, why? because she needs to choose her religion if any, not someone else. I was forced at a young age, now I follow a different calling. My daughter will choose her own way.

People dont seem to understand that terrifying a small child into believing something is more evil than nearly anything you can do. It scars them for life. Religious zealots need to have thier own hell visited upon them on a daily basis.
There is nothing wrong with worshiping God. But there is a right and wrong way to teach it. and unfortunately there are more people who teach it the wrong way than there are who teach it the right way.
Its all very sad that something that could be the highlight of someones life, quickly becomes a terror in the dark for the rest of thier life.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Rossa because: for spelling

excellent post..from the horses mouth to speak (Not calling you a horse lol)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SashaHighkick

If the big J came back he would be disgusted what has been done in his name.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by drkildare
Meh.

Everyone knows Hermione Granger was the brains behind the Potterverse.

She-Devil that she is.

Hermione Granger is not presented anywhere in the series as a young witch of any particular degree of mystery.

This is just not a particularly well-socialized child, although she obviously had figured out how to best present herself to grown-ups. This is not a naturally, or effortlessly “good” child, either. In fact, this kid is a potential bully. And just about every other child on that train recognized it. Ron and Harry certainly did. Ron and Harry both had ample experience of bullies.

In short, we would agree and disagree.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

boymonkey, this is an offtopic reply, but your username and avatar make me laugh everytime i see it. Lol.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PulsusMeusGallo

A nerd is the bully? That's a new one on me.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Hermione was a lot of things but a bully wasn't one of them!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Maybe when she shot the birds at ron, but I woulda done worse :p

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Maybe when she shot the birds at ron, but I woulda done worse :p

No, no, it was when she punched that blonde bully. I forget his name, (Malfoy?) but he deserved it.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

They picked that actor well. I wanted to punch him in the face, even more than I wanted to punch the book one in the face

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Old news, the Jesus Camp thing. That was quite a controversy years ago...

That being said... there is *real* controversy with the Potter books. All of the material used for the magical "fantasy", is not "fantasy" at all. The vast majority of it references real occult writings, real people who once practiced the occult and so on. I recently went through the first three books and was a little surprised at some of the material Rowling chose to use. I believe even Aleister Crowley is mentioned, and countless others.

Also, there is the "conspiracy" that the plot is within Harry Potter's deranged mind, because he murdered or injured some of his family and is taken to a "special school" (for the insane), and his delusions make it magical. Most of the books start with him injuring a family member, but his delusions make it "harmless magic". So he gets taken every year. Quite interesting.

There is a video floating around somewhere explaining the theory, the guy also goes into how Star Wars (Luke Skywalker) has a similar fantasy.
edit on 16-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Yep.

Reminds me of my youth only when I was little it was primarily Pokemon that was being rallied against, I can remember having my trading cards confiscated because there were psychic ghost pokemon and that was part of the occult. I was also strictly warned never to play Dungeons and Dragons or Magic the Gathering as those were considered like gateway drugs to Satanism.

It was also strange that in my household Lord of the Rings and Narnia were both perfectly acceptable but Harry Potter, when it eventually gained popularity, was definitely not.

This kind of stuff makes me mad, both as someone who experienced this kind of brainwashing as a kid, and as a person with empathy and an understanding of reality versus fiction.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Also, there is the "conspiracy" that the plot is within Harry Potter's deranged mind, because he murdered some of his family and is taken to a "special school" (for the insane), and his delusions make it magical. Quite interesting.

That's new to me. Where did that one come from?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Had to edit, replied to wrong subject.

If I could find the video I'd show you, but alas.. I forgot it. Someone here will probably know. It's an interesting theory.
edit on 16-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Hermione was a lot of things but a bully wasn't one of them!

This was once an extremely insecure child who learned to over-compensate by acting pushy. And up to fairly recently this particular form of coping had generally worked — within reason. Upon the whole, she had succeeded in her short-term objectives more often than not.

Miss Granger does not usually react well in situations of sustained external pressure. She already generates more than enough internal pressure of her own. When forced into such situations, her performance in whatever the immediate subject at hand is remains up to her usual high standards, but her personal behavior tends to become hair-trigger, over-emphatic, quarrelsome and decidedly shrill.

And even at the best of times, she tends to be prickly, high-strung, and impatient - a bully. There is a lot of fine human potential there, but this is simply not a quiet child. Nor a particularly sweet one. This kid is not one of the tribe of Log. She is unmistakably a Stork.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

They picked that actor well. I wanted to punch him in the face, even more than I wanted to punch the book one in the face

Better tell Sharon Stone, she's due to co-star with him (Tom Felton) in a film in 2012.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Why not a nerd? She came onto the field determined to excel in order to be SEEN to excel. And by this time she knows damn well that in the wizarding world knowledge is quite literally power.

And she did seem to be learning. Gradually. Hermione had made considerable strides in breaking herself of at least some of her least likable behaviors including bullying (academically, scholastically and/or psychologically).

By the end of Year 1 she had learned that boasting gained her no brownie points with her peers.

By the end of Year 2 she had evidently decided that drawing attention to herself on general principles was not a great idea either.

It took all year of Book 3 to get her to stop showing off in class, but she appears to have finally managed that lesson as well — for the most part, although she still goes into that mode whenever she is confronted by a new teacher.

In HBP (#6) Snape finally went so far as to openly slap her down for simply parrotting the information from the textbook. He’d probably wanted to do that for years. But Potions is a study which does tend to support rote learning and “one true answer”. At least the way he taught it.

Now if she could just wrap her mind around the concept that not all the answers can be found in books, or that she could be wrong about anything she would be making real progress.

Which, by Deathly Hallows, she finally had.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
She also put herself in grave danger standing by her friends using the force of good against evil. A wonderful and interesting character.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
She also put herself in grave danger standing by her friends using the force of good against evil. A wonderful and interesting character.

Ms. Granger was not remiss in using the forces of evil (lies in particular, rule breaking and other forms of deceit) against good (McGonagall, others) either.
In CoS, she slips that permission slip to use the Restricted Section under Lockhart’s nose very smoothly indeed. In Phoenix she admits to Harry that she lied to her parents at Christmas, makes one wonder just how many other times she may have been been lying to us as well.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join