It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Proves the Magnetosphere Protects Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

New Study Proves the Magnetosphere Protects Earth

www.astrobio.net

A chance alignment of planets during a passing gust of the solar wind has allowed scientists to compare the protective effects of Earth’s magnetic field with that of Mars’ naked atmosphere. The result is clear: Earth’s magnetic field is vital for keeping our atmosphere in place. This means that the magnetic field plays an essential role in maintaining Earth's habitability for life as we know it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.esa.int

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Computer models had predicted it, but now empirical evidence confirms that the Earth's robust magnetic field offers our planet protection which many may have taken for granted.

Over the course of eons, I imagine that each successive blast of solar wind forces any charged atoms in the atmosphere to blow out, slowly pushing them away from the planet and thinning our environmental gasses infinitesimally.

They found that while the pressure of the solar wind increased at each planet by similar amounts, the increase in the rate of loss of Martian oxygen was ten times that of Earth’s increase.

Such a difference would have a dramatic impact over billions of years, leading to large losses of the Martian atmosphere, perhaps explaining or at least contributing to its current tenuous state.

Now we all know of the rumored "pole-flip" events that some are very concerned about. But I wonder, would it really make a difference if the poles shifted at all? As long as the magnetic field is there; regardless of polarity, would we not have the same protection?

The ESA and NASA both have resources committed to investigating this fascinating subject....

www.astrobio.net
edit on 9-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Wow.. Sounds like a useless study to me considering this has been common knowledge for decades now.
And about pole shift.. It seems like there is no consensus at all about that. Some say it wont really affect the protective ability of our magnetic field, while others say that it will affect it greatly while the reversal is going on.

One thing we do know for sure though is that there does not seem to be any link with pole shifts and mass extinctions, which suggests that it is nowhere as bad as some claim.
edit on 9-3-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hi
You wrote

Now we all know of the rumored "pole-flip" events that some are very concerned about. But I wonder, would it really make a difference if the poles shifted at all? As long as the magnetic field is there; regardless of polarity, would we not have the same protection?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

I don't know - My nagging thoughts however wonder if the Magnetosphere would be disrupted by polar reversal or shift. If so could that have a knock on effect with weather systems

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Exactly... it is supposed to protect us. I want to believe it is "all good" but ... its not.

science.nasa.gov...

The Sun..same thing... its not protected much these days either. I really think it is because where it is in Space now... and imo if the Sun is effected... so are we. We are connected. www.telegraph.co.uk...

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
All this talk about a "Pole Flip" has got me thinking I am glad it's Friday and time to go watch a local "Pole Flip"!

Nah I never waste my money on that but I will have a few if not many Beers!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
there are some theories.
The Magnetosphere is what protects us and also gives us gravity. If it goes down what would happen? even a polar flip would take some time.
Here is what we do know.
The earth has always turned the same direction and with out change for as long as man has been on here.
even the Bible story of the sun stopping in the sky doesn't add up. Everybody would still be talking about it. My best guess and what do I know is a pole flip will not happen in our life time.

George Carlin once said 75 species go extinct daily. Man is still here. It is safe to say we are the fair haired boys of the planet.
not to worry

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

...It's almost like our planet has an immune system to every perceivable astrological event. Almost like .. a living organism.. obviously I know the Earth is not "alive" .. but you can't deny the resemblance to a living organism.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Who are you to say the Earth isn't alive, the Earth is most definitely alive.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

It is true what you say that the Earth has always spun in the same direction.
However physics show that if the Earth suddenly turned upside down it would still continue to spin in the same direction.
If the Earth suddenly stopped spinning then reversed direction - we would all be in big trouble
No chance of that though as it is physically impossible

edit on 10-3-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
To me, the Magnetosphere has always reminded me of the structure of the human eye

PLEASE take a look, you will be surprised
edit on 10/3/2012 by scubagravy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by Maxmars

Wow.. Sounds like a useless study to me considering this has been common knowledge for decades now.
And about pole shift.. It seems like there is no consensus at all about that. Some say it wont really affect the protective ability of our magnetic field, while others say that it will affect it greatly while the reversal is going on.

One thing we do know for sure though is that there does not seem to be any link with pole shifts and mass extinctions, which suggests that it is nowhere as bad as some claim.
edit on 9-3-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

Yes. Some PhD con artist tricked some politician to give him taxpayer cash $$$ to

simply tell us what we already know.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well we certainly find out now wont we,.
with the latest shots we have been getting from our
sun will put it to the test..
But to be honest,.. the earth could use a remodeling

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

It is true what you say that the Earth has always spun in the same direction.
However physics show that if the Earth suddenly turned upside down it would still continue to spin in the same direction.
If the Earth suddenly stopped spinning then reversed direction - we would all be in big trouble
No chance of that though as it is physically impossible

edit on 10-3-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

think about this,
a) that is never going to happen
b) the idea that it could landed somebody a masters or Ph.D so that person had personal motivation to come up with the idea then went on to sell a bunch of books on said Idea.

you can be what you want but I have to remember to stay agnostic to science and here is why...
a student gets a grant. pisses away the money partying with friends gets under the gun to produce results and writes up a bunch of crap that sounds convincing.Passes it off as science. If this has happened even once it happened a hundred times. Its human nature.

also human nature is death. at some point humans will become extinct on this marble.
edit on 10-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Computer models had predicted it, but now empirical evidence confirms that the Earth's robust magnetic field offers our planet protection which many may have taken for granted.

Over the course of eons, I imagine that each successive blast of solar wind forces any charged atoms in the atmosphere to blow out, slowly pushing them away from the planet and thinning our environmental gasses infinitesimally.

They found that while the pressure of the solar wind increased at each planet by similar amounts, the increase in the rate of loss of Martian oxygen was ten times that of Earth’s increase.

Such a difference would have a dramatic impact over billions of years, leading to large losses of the Martian atmosphere, perhaps explaining or at least contributing to its current tenuous state.

www.astrobio.net
The ESA and NASA both have resources committed to investigating this fascinating subject....

edit on 9-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

I didn't realize that this wasn't known very nice post and to answer the question about effects of pole shift and how it effects our interaction with the sun in future.

I recently watched a show on bbc2 about the sun and solar flares and space weather, during the show I came across a specific piece of info about the charge of such particles released by the sun and I think it helps answer the question you post that I have made bold. Currently if they are negatively (-)charged the effects on earth are far more severe than if they are positively(+) charged, For example
Canada

On March 13, 1989 a severe geomagnetic storm caused the collapse of the Hydro-Québec power grid in a matter of seconds as equipment protection relays tripped in a cascading sequence of events.[2][11] Six million people were left without power for nine hours, with significant economic loss. The storm even caused aurorae as far south as Texas.[3] The geomagnetic storm causing this event was itself the result of a coronal mass ejection, ejected from the Sun on March 9, 1989.
Horizon Solar Storms -the threat to planet earth -Doc This was (-) charged so caused more hassle. I assume after watching the show but am not 100% sure that (+) charge is the more commonly observed, so I imagine the effects of (+) charged solar flares after a supposed magnetic pole shift would cause the earth more problems. I also believe that this could cause problems to any device or system that depends on the natural magnetic effects currently being observed on earth. But I am no expert so watch the show if you can only place I have found is bbc i player but its pretty amazing everyone should watch who has interest in the space weather.
edit on 10-3-2012 by GreatScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Whilst there are certain good points in that post, this little bit should not be left out there dangling:

The Magnetosphere is what protects us and also gives us gravity.

I added emphasis to the wrong bit.

Think about that, for second.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

Whilst there are certain good points in that post, this little bit should not be left out there dangling:

The Magnetosphere is what protects us and also gives us gravity.

I added emphasis to the wrong bit.

Think about that, for second.

trying to follow you
I say this respectfully BTW

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Well....I didn't want to steer the thread out of whack. I agree that the magnetosphere has been known to be very protective of the planet. I suppose this study is just added confirmation, and is valuable on that merit.

But what I was pointing out is that the magnetosphere does not cause gravity. Gravity is a function of mass. The Earth's own mass is responsible for gravity.

If you want to think it through, Mars has gravity, yet has no (or a minimal) magnetosphere. I mention Mars simply because it was featured in the study that was the basis for this thread OP. I could also say the same thing about the Moon.....or any celestial body, for that matter.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

have a look!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As far as I know this isn't a new discovery. They have been reporting that te magnetic field protects us from solar flares for years
Now. Why this is just sprouting up now I don't get. I've literally described this same process in many threads over the last few months.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join