It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP medicine can reduce RACISM?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
A study of white student's attitudes after taking a BP medicine seems to indicate that racism can be reduced using drugs.

Blood pressure drug 'reduces in-built racism'

The beta-blocker drug can reduce 'subconscious' racism, the Oxford University study found.

Researchers found that people who took propranolol scored significantly lower on a standard test used to detect subconscious racial attitudes, than those who took a placebo.

Propranolol is most often used to reduce high blood pressure by lowering the heart rate, as well as angina and irregular heartbeat. It is also used to manage the physical symptoms of anxiety, and control migraine.

It is thought to work by blocking activation of the peripheral 'autonomic' nervous system, and in areas of the brain involved with formulating emotional responses, including fear, called the amygdalae.

The researchers believe propranolol reduces racial bias because such subconscious thoughts are triggered by that autonomic nervous system.

Telegraph

The student's racism was measured through an Implicit Association Test.

Implicit Association Test

The Implicit Association Test (IAT) is a measure within social psychology designed to detect the strength of a person's automatic association between mental representations of objects (concepts) in memory. The IAT was introduced in the scientific literature in 1998 by Anthony Greenwald, Debbie McGee, and Jordan Schwartz.[1] The IAT is now widely used in social psychology research and is used to some extent in clinical, cognitive, and developmental psychology research. Although some controversy still exists regarding the IAT and what it measures, much research into its validity and psychometric properties has been conducted since its introduction into the literature.

Wiki

You can take one of the tests yourself Here although I'm not sure which test is used to detect racism.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Great,

Now we need a medicine to cure/reduce ignorance

edit on 8-3-2012 by liejunkie01 because: /reduce

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

With a title like that I almost thought I had to drink some oil........

Carry on.......

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

With a title like that I almost thought I had to drink some oil........

Carry on.......

Hey, at least the title doesn't imply that Americans don't believe that Canadians really exist.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Good one.......

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

you made my day
-a big footed canadian

I notice since I just discovered I have a bloodpressure irregularity, that when it goes off it makes me very cranky.
so things that normaly wouldn't bug me, then send me to the moon.
so I bet that the drug makes people less mad at everything not just the hot button of racism.

since I noticed this and did something about it, my TnC violation rate has dropped majorly

edit on 8-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2012 by Danbones because: and I sweat and I spell bad too

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
High BP is usually related with anger and stress so a drug which reduces BP probably would reduce symptoms associated with "implicit" racism. Whether it actually does reduce actual racist attitudes is another question.

I wonder if the students who took the drugs had high or normal BP and whether that would effect the results of the study. When I first took BP meds, it made me feel a little mellow for the first few days but, it seemed to wear off quickly. I wonder if the study subjects weren't just responding to the initial buzz from starting a new medication and if they tested the students after their bodies had adapted to regular use of the meds.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

very good questions
i notice myself that i got mad at zionist people who hate palistinians, veterans, homeschoolers, raw milk producers, gun owners, anti vaccine people etc

so my anti rascism mellowed out

ps
i chose the herbal/reflexology route (garlic capcacin hawthorne etc drops )
so I think its interesting to note that in context of your thread I mellowed out by going to the causes of my situation...
and didn't use pharma drugs

could this be a big pharma push to expand into a new market...
hey! lets give it to a really big market! ALL you evil rascists!

edit on 8-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Racist? We got a pill for that.

Something tells me the Klan members won't be flocking to the stores in droves to buy this stuff.

Their target customer is probably the Northern white dude and brain washed college student suffering from "White Guilt" trying to absolve themselves of any latent tinges of racism they received from their "intolerant" parents during their upbringing.

They'll probably make a mint.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Great...
Our cultures answer to everything. Too sad? Too happy? Pissed off? Worried? TAKE A PILL!!
And don't forget the pills you'll need for the side affects....and the pills for the resultant organ damage...and so on...and so on..ad naseaum

Safe to say that we have all seen Equilibrium?

In a Fascist future where all forms of feeling are illegal, a man in charge of enforcing the law rises to overthrow the system.
IMDB Equilibrium

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Lol. If this were indeed true, we'd start seeing aerial spraying of beta blocker all across the south.

Oh crap...did I just turn this into a chemtrail discussion? Lol...oops.

Nah...I've seen plenty of people on propanolol who were just as racist as the next guy. Interesting theory...but I'm not buying it.

new topics

top topics

join