It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending doomsday officially cancelled!! (probably)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+68 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
If you're sick of reading about our impending doom on ATS and feeling frightened, you've come to the right thread.

I've been listening to C2CAM and reading ATS for nearly ten years. Ten years of hearing and learning about Doomsday scenarios and the impending (and various) ends of the world, or at least civilization as we know it.

At first, like many of us, I was easy prey for the fear-mongering. However, each time I found myself expecting the worst, the unexpected happened - life went on. And, when I realized I was going to have some time on my hands, I began to logically think about speculated Doomsday scenarios and why believing in their validity is absolutely ludicrous.

Economic meltdown. Nibiru / Planet X. Alien visitation and takeover. Disastrous and sudden climate change. Sunstorms / gamma radiation showers. Nuclear war and disaster. New World Order. The LHC created black hole that was going to swallow the entire universe. The Mayan Calendar. The list goes on, and on...

Generally speaking, it's likely we've been predicting the end of people since we first showed up here. That's hundreds of thousands of years ago. While it's absolutely a given that someone, someday will eventually be right about The End, there's more reason to think that (and history has certainly shown that) those predicting or speculating our impending doom are far more likely to be wrong than right.

Think about it. Why should now be so special? Why should today or tomorrow be any different than the millions of days that have come before, or the millions that will come after?

The odds are so astronomically against today or tomorrow being The End it's not even worth our speculation. If it were, you'd be able to bet on it in Vegas. Oh, wait …

Article About End Of The World Betting

That’s generalities. Let’s talk specifics.

You're afraid Nibiru or some other cosmic event is happening to herald our impending doom? REALLY? What an incredibly awful and timely coincidence that would be - that mankind finally has the power to look deep into the heavens and see the universe through immense technological marvels with heretofore-unseen acuity, only just in time to find out WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! No, nuh-uh, there’s no way we could be that lucky. We’ve been living in this solar system, in this galaxy, in this universe for hundreds of thousands of years. Cosmic doom could have come long before now, and will likely come long after we’re all gone.

You’re absolutely certain the world economy is falling apart and the class war is starting tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or before the election, or after the election, and that civilization as we know it will collapse? This event has been predicted time and again since before the Great Depression. This Doomsday Scenario has yet to happen, and it likely never will because human societies adapt to change fairly easily. People adjust. We make do, and generally we get along and even help one another, especially in times of great need or disaster. It’s been proven time and time again.

Hey, remember when everyone said that the Y2K virus was going to be the end of us? Or that the LHC was going to kill us all? Neither of those things happened.

Biblical End Times and Mayan Calendar prognostications are also so incredibly speculative, they warrant being described more as, 'bedtime stories.' Such stuff has been in popular circulation likely since before Jesus walked the Earth.

-----

While all of the above are logical arguments for why we shouldn't believe Doomsday will occur anytime soon, there are also truths to which Doomsday predictors speak that shouldn't be ignored.

We do live under the threat of man-made disaster. We do have to pay attention to how we treat the planet we live on, lest it's possible she'll kick us right off.

Even with that being said, it's highly unlikely that either of these events would come via some sudden worldwide cataclysmic event ending life as we know it. Then again, if you want to believe (without a scrap of proof) that the earth's crust sits on its mantle like a sort of giant orange peel just waiting to flip over in the space of a second, go right ahead.

So, there you have it. We live on a big, beautiful planet. It's been in the universe for millions of years. It will likely be here for millions more. When people talk about the end of the world, I like to say it's probable we won't be around forever, but don't worry about the world. It has a funny way of sticking it out. And in the meantime, if you think about it, you'll find we do, too.

And, if you want to watch something to counter that ridiculous Remote Viewing end world prediction video that's making its rounds on ATS now (hey kids, Major Ed Dames is trying to sell you a product, remember??), check this thought out - courtesy of Neil Degrasse Tyson:

edit on 6-3-2012 by Exsisto because: Trying to fix vid link.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title and fixed video link

edit on 6-3-2012 by Exsisto because: Still trying to fix vid link

edit on 6-3-2012 by Gemwolf because: Fixed vid

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Epic and well thought out thread.

I now need to re examine my life.

Except for the whole solar flare thing......yeah. Examining my life.
edit on 6-3-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Don't spoil my dreams, why do you think I come on ATS? I'm waiting to hear the latest doomsday thread. Lately it's been boring. But I have been spicing it up and so has the Sun.

I still want to mark my calender, you know.
I always look forward to that day, it's like the only thing keeping me going.

Please whatever you do, don't stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 6-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Brilliantly written.

I hope this reaches the front page. This is TRUTH.
S+F keep up the good work, OP

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

I'm gonna flag this so that when the SHTF I can come back and say "I told you so."

NOTE: I'll be posting from the 5th demension.

Edit: I wanted to add that at the "end of the day", we can debate one way or the other that it will happen tomorrow, next year, or in 20,000 years all we want. The fact is it *could* happen before you even read this post. We can't let it affect our lives too much because when it DOES happen, what can you do?

edit on 6-3-2012 by Hope4TheBest because: To make the response more relevant/useful to the OP.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Aaaww, does this mean there will be no more fear-mongering threads for me to read?

Oh, wait no! That will only happen after the world has ended.

Excellent OP. Well thought out and written. S&F.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
just a little something to ad the the op.

i really dont feel like doing the math but it does make sense. just something to think about.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

Oh' so very true Existo, this song ain't ever gonna end. I agree if we don't take care of our Mothership, we will probably be "kicked=Off". but the planet Earth will go on forever .

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Great thread, and an amusing read as well!

Maybe one of the reasons we focus so much on apocalypse, is that it is a way for us to make our existence feel more important than it really is. It's just a thought anyway.. Besides, humans love to feel fear without facing the consequences, so doomsday predictions might be a way to satisfy this craving among certain people as well.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by the6elf

Like Prince once sang, "forever is a mighty long time." Not sure how long the Earth will be around, but I'm pretty sure she's a goner when the Sun gets ready to nova in several hundreds of millions of years.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NISMOALTI

i really dont feel like doing the math but it does make sense. just something to think about.

Have you got any evidence to suggest the Mayan's didn't have a leap year in mind when calculating their predictions? Thought not.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

If you didn't study human psychology I think you missed a good calling for yourself. Brilliant observations about the 'why' of our Doomsday prognostications.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

A year in the mayan calendar is 365,2420 days, so that pic is incorrect. They do account for it, just no in the way we do. mathsforeurope.digibel.be...

Also in response to the OP, the end is inevitable to come SOMETIME, and no matter when it is, the odds of it happening right before would be infinitely small following your train of thought.

It would still happen though.

edit on 6-3-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

Idk hate to be rude or assumptive, but maybe you missed the point? I don't mean the glood and doom S*** either that stuff is bogus, but I mean the start being a better person to people and be the person you want to see in life. I know that's what i got out of all my research and it's been very helpful and liberating. Don't think change isn't coming though, it's full steam so enjoy the world as it is now, because it will be changin, don't ask how idk the future. It's all good though, change is necassary to our evolution...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Exsisto

great thread

although I hate to admit it, I really do not believe anything is going to happen in 2012

I will still continue to read the great stories on ATS though lol

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

Have you got any evidence to suggest the Mayan's didn't have a leap year in mind when calculating their predictions? Thought not.

yeah if you need me to google it for you i can.

the mayans didnt use decimals in there calenders so they were off by 1/4 day every year. they had 13 months that were 28 days and went cycle of full moons. even that vary by 10 or so days from year to year.

now for me to search for you

link 1

link 2

link 3

ok im tired of adding links

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I get DIBBS on Apophis !!!!!! 2029....

I wonder if it will take out ISS first?

Even NASA isn't sure

edit on 6-3-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NISMOALTI

actually that claim is false , the mayan calender was " syncronised " [ for want of a better word ] to the julian [ then gregorian ] callender in the 16th century by european schollars -

as they did this by asking the peoples they conqured [ who used the mayan callender " the simple question :

" what is the date , today " getting a ` long count answer , and as the europeans obviously knew the jullian callender date

" synchronisation " was thus accurate [ in the 16th century ] and as no extra leap days [ to either callender ] have been added since - the two callenders remain syncronised

simples

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I've posted this before, but when I was a kid in the 60's my dad had a cartoon hanging on the wall of a man with a boy on his knee and the caption said "Remember son, the world is always in the worst shape it's ever been in!" So yes, even in the 60's there were the doomsday predictions. Back then it was the Cold War that had everyone running scared, people seriously believed we were one red button push away from complete annihilation. And yet here we are decades later, no closer to nuclear annihilation then we were in the 50's and 60's (and perhaps even farther from it in fact).

The bottom line is people eat up end-of-the-world scenarios, they are fascinated by it and hungry for it. There's a reason doomsday prognosticators like Gerald Celente make gobs of money off of flimsy, poorly supported "predictions" of doom- people WANT to hear it, they WANT to believe it. Why? I don't know, I've never understood this strange desire to see the world as we know it come to an end. People focus so much on the negative things in life that they seem oblivious to all of the wonders and miracles that are all around us. Life truly is precious, but most just don't want to see things that way.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentofchaos
reply to post by Exsisto

Idk hate to be rude or assumptive, but maybe you missed the point? I don't mean the glood and doom S*** either that stuff is bogus, but I mean the start being a better person to people and be the person you want to see in life. I know that's what i got out of all my research and it's been very helpful and liberating. Don't think change isn't coming though, it's full steam so enjoy the world as it is now, because it will be changin, don't ask how idk the future. It's all good though, change is necassary to our evolution...

You're not being rude! If you're getting the message to be a better person or to outwardly express the kind of positive change you want to see in life, that's a good thing no matter where it's coming from I think.

I can also promise you change isn't just coming - it's happening all around us at every moment. Why just this very second everything changed. And, just now, it happened again. Each moment that passes finds us in a completely different place than we were the moment before because the Earth is spinning on its axis as the planet orbits the sun. The galaxy is shifting and changing in a cosmic dance. Constant motion, so nothing is really the same from one moment to the next.

It's also worth mentioning the changes which are constantly happening INSIDE of us all. Our minds aren't thinking nearly the same thing from one moment to the next. Even when we remember things we've done or remembered before - the memories themselves are pathing in completely new ways in our brains. Our cells are dying and renewing constantly.

We're different people now than we were when I first started writing this response and when you first started reading it.

Oh, and it's also worth mentioning we're still here. The world has yet to end.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Exsisto because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join