It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheetah Bot sets new world record for legged robots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

This four legged robot beat the old record set in 1989 of 13mph.
The cheetah bot as its called manage to read a top speed of 18mph, and was developed by Boston Dynamics, with funding from..................DARPA!!

Seems the military is really interested in all things robotic, which in a sense, makes sense i guess.

LINK

vvv
edit on 6-3-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Crazy. It runs faster backwards than forwards. How long until these things get bombs attached to them?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Exactly mate!!!

Since the military is funding this, it will only be used for warfare i am sure. I find it telling, how much they spend on new military research and development, when there are so many other areas that need attention.

Sure, you can argue that these robots might save human lives at the end of the day, but still, money could be better spend.

vvv

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Crazy. It runs faster backwards than forwards. How long until these things get bombs attached to them?

Backwards?
Didnt you notice that the "front" of the thing is the left side with the "lowered back" for impulse in the right, and the little metal thing on the right is the "tail" and not the "head"?
edit on 6-3-2012 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
How about having a little artificially intelligent rabbit or dog for the family.

Or turn it into a little rabbit spy bot.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This is the essence of my futuristic nightmares. Predatorial robots stuck on chase-and-kill mode.

pretty awesome too. It looks like its running backwards but it looks better when it goes faster.
edit on 3/6/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yes, I figured that out. The front legs are only there for stability. The rear legs are the ones doing the work. Most 4-legged animals which run similarly to this robot get most of their drive from the front legs, with the rear legs playing a lesser part.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I wanna ride one

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This is freaking scary......

No second line.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Sure, you can argue that these robots might save human lives at the end of the day, but still, money could be better spend.

Can you say robotic police dog in every patrol car? No teeth just a stun gun. Why run?
I don't see any big software problems. Just have it go after the fastest thing in its field of view.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a police dog maybe with tasers attached to it

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Just saw the vid at The Guardian and was about to post when I saw the thread, pretty amazing stuff!

Although all I seemed to imagine was some type of four-legged police bot chasing people down years into the future as I watched it....been reading way too much conspiracy stuff lately.

edit : hahah, just scrolled up to read responses and seen that you've already got that angle well covered!
edit on 6-3-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
a police dog maybe with tasers attached to it

Or frickin lazer beams attached to their frickin heads.

would be cooler.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Fahrenheit 451 just got a few steps closer. Hide the books folks!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

That's pretty impressive. I fear it wouldn't be too long until we get to this.

If we do get there I want one.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Problem is, sure it can run fast, but throw it off balance or kick it over, and it's game over skinnydog.

Now if they combine that things speed with the Big Dog

and you would get some definite horrorshow futuristic dilemmas should they turn on their makers

Holy crap, I just noticed Boston Dynamics makes both of these. Yikes!

We're doomed!!!!

edit on 7-3-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join