It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly asteroid bounds towards Earth out of the blue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
rt.com...

Well heres another one, this asteroid 2012 DA14 is 60 meters across and should arrive by next year around February. It's going to pass at a distance of 16,700 miles, which is lower then some satellites in orbit. This of course can't be good, I wonder how much damage this would cause if it hit?
edit on 3-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

That thing will probably burn up or explode in the atmosphere it's so tiny.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Another attempt at fear mongering?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm going to go skydiving at around 13,000 feet to get a better look at it.

link   
reply to post by xacto

Thats what I assumed till I read this..

But if the entire asteroid is to crash into the planet, the impact will be as hard as in the Tunguska blast, which in 1908 knocked down trees over a total area of 2,150 sq km (830 sq miles) in Siberia. This is almost the size of Luxembourg. In today’s case, the destination of the asteroid is yet to be determined.

link   

It'd cause some decent local damage if the majority of it didn't just burn up/vaporize on entry.
Possibly it'd level a city block were it to impact metropolitan area.

Most of the planet is, however, ocean.
Nothing really to worry about.

By comparison, driving a car around any other drivers at freeway speeds is playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets while sitting safe at home is this 'threat'.

Cool find, but, nothing to worry about.

edit on 3-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Has anyone notified Bruce Willis yet?

He is getting older and probably needs to start training earlier to get ready to stop this asteroid!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Maybe we'll get lucky and it will hit Tehran saving us all a lot of problems.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Regardless of its size, depends on what its made of and the speed it travels, the angle it enters the atmosphere and the type of soil it encounters.

It could be deadly, in way... lets say, for a city... if made of iron and traveling 60-70m/s and reaching the ground at 50ish m/s, yes that would obliterate new york I guess... but still... its just 60m wide so we're not talking about an extinction level event here...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
well after the last ....big scare
....i assume we will be bombarded with a steady stream of reports of 'near-misses'...all to numb us to what may be out there.........

that said..no need to worry..we wont be around after dec 2012

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
60 meters will probably equal 10 or so after it passes through the atmosphere. Might take out a few city blocks, not much more.

Nothing to see here.

edit on 3-3-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
2012 DA14 has a Torino Scale rating of 0, which means no threat.

The likelihood of a collision is zero, or is so low as to be effectively zero. Also applies to small objects such as meteors and bodies that burn up in the atmosphere as well as infrequent meteorite falls that rarely cause damage.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

There is no chance of impact in 2013. The overall chance of impact in the next 45 years is 1 in 4,550.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

The really good news is that if asteroids this small are being detected at such distances (3.5 million miles), it means that larger ones which pose a real threat are likely to be detected at greater distances.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ya nothing to big But I will keep a eye out on this one

The rest off you can keep your head unground all you want.

Just hope it don't kick your butt on the way by.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Being a conspiracy site and all ...

IF anyone had a secret moon base ...

news stories like this could be used as cover for tossing a few good sized totally deniable moon rocks down the gravity well at some tasty targets.

Holy Land/Middle East/(insert target of preferred choice here) wiped out by freak swarm of meteors. 'Act of God'? Darned those pesky sudden meteor swarms that come out of nowhere and just happen to coincidentally wipe out some convenient areas.

edit on 3-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stewiegriffin

Or the United States and save the whole world a LOT MORE problems.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Now that sounds like my kind of thinking, I could see that happening. The U.S. could just be like why waste a couple more million lets just throw a huge rock at them.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Is there a pic?
No pic, it wont happen...............
That said, why is it presumed to be an asteroid?
Could it perhaps be somebody knockin?
Id like to see a hubble picture.....
Or at least a good observatory one...
Comon and beam us up!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Nice work.........That's the kind of information I wanted to see. Good, solid info.
And the fact that it is so small and was discovered at that distance IS good news about future discoveries.
I wouldn't expect that size of asteroid to pose much of a threat anyways, except to a local area. I guess that would be bad enough though.
Say it was expected to impact, and they wanted to spare that local area. What would it take to just blow it up in space, and would it be worth it? I figured any small pieces would be guaranteed to burn up in the atmosphere.
TXML

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iconic

No apparently not. I heard about this on the news just the other morning but I was listening and not watching so I didnt get everything they were talking about. But it seems that this article has a different year. The one I am attaching says 2040 while the OP says next year. It seems the truth about any NEO is that most will only be found out by chance and we could get surprised at any time. I am not a fear monger doom type and I do not wish to alarm anyone but this is one of those truths we just live with I guess. Like the threat of nuclear war. We cant devote any time worrying about it because we cannot do anything about it.

www.cbsnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join