It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom With Breast Pump 'Humiliated' by TSA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Not a fair comparison. I understand your point, but dropping my pants to apply ointment to my anus exposes much more than a pump over a bare breast. Besides, she was in the WOMEN'S bathroom by the sink. Only women could have seen her, at which point she could have said "Can you believe the TSA? They won't let me bring my breast milking pump on the plane with empty bottles!" ANY woman would understand.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Shoe bomber, underpants bomber, now the Boobiebomber???
Terrorism is getting so HOT!!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

She was in a women's bathroom! How is that humiliating?

i have no doubt there was a hidden camera in that bathroom

probably to protect us from terrists putting or taking things out of their butts

that's how TSA came into existence after all

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Gotta say I'm with the girls on this one DaTroof. How can I put this? Imagine you have to (obviously under similar biological and law conditions) get your nads out for the lads in the mens bathroom. It's just a bit....too much. There, I've put it politely as I can. I ain't no prude but damn, no one is forcing me to expose a thing!
ETA And that includes "pumping" it.

edit on 3/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

There are ways of turning a ....tense situation around you know.
Why let them have all of the fun?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
It is not your jet, if you do not like it get your own and do not hitch a ride in someone elses vehicle.
If you cannot afford your own jet I am sorry, work harder!
This whole tsa thing is a non issue.
Like I have said before, if I am driving through the desert and you are walking down the road, I'm gonna know how many fillings you have in your teeth before you ride in my vehicle.
Either you meet my demands or you walk.

I'm pretty damn sure if I had my own 747, I'd still have to go through the same security checks every time I wanted to fly. It's not the AIRLINES demanding these checks, it's the US Government.
edit on 3/3/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Playing devil's advocate here as I am told I do quite often...

The woman was told that she could not travel with the 'empty bottles' in addition to the ice pack and electric pump.

For a few bucks, she could have bought a half gallon of milk at the duty free shop, poured it in the bottles, and then replaced the milk in the privacy of the airplane bathroom if need be.

A little bit of forethought, and some quick on the spot thinking could have prevented this entirely.

Not to give the TSA a pass, but cmon now, there were other options besides baring boob in the bathroom in public and then complaining that you were humilated.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by DaTroof

Gotta say I'm with the girls on this one DaTroof. How can I put this? Imagine you have to (obviously under similar biological and law conditions) get your nads out for the lads in the mens bathroom. It's just a bit....too much. There, I've put it politely as I can. I ain't no prude but damn, no one is forcing me to expose a thing!
ETA And that includes "pumping" it.

Again, if she wants to fly with a baby less than a year old, she can easily call the airport first to ask about their policies involving breast milk, electrical pumps, and so on. If you read the article, she unnecessarily spilled out the bottles, which was a mistake on her part.

I'm not some anti-woman conservative, I'm just tired of the complaints on both sides. There are mothers who will breastfeed in the middle of a store and there are mothers who would prefer to breastfeed or pump in private.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by resist2012

As important as it is to bring to light the atrocities performed by TSA - in this case I really think there’s a lot being blown out of proportion this time.

She asked if there was a private place she could pump and was told there was not. The agent suggested she go to the public bathroom. Her electric pump required an outlet and there were no outlets in the stalls, so she had to use one in the bathroom's public area.

In a statement, the TSA acknowledged that the agent was mistaken in telling Strand that she could only bring the ice pack with her on the plane if it was medically necessary. A TSA official also said that the agent did not mandate that Strand go pump milk in the bathroom.
link

This mother did not have to expel her breast milk in front of an agent.

She did have to use a public bathroom, but truly, her back turned and only other mothers around? She needs to buck up a bit.

Honestly, if she needed to pump the milk for her child and there was no other way to do it than use the public bathroom she would have done it - sans tears. I do understand her feelings of being ‘forced’ put just enough twist on the situation for it to become an emotional and humiliating experience but again - she did NOT have to do this in front of an agent.

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So some bozo was able to drive his jeep all over the runways in Philadelphia but the poor Mom with a breast pump is a potential terrorist?

We deserve this sham government. They only get away with this crap because we let them.

edit on 3/3/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Again, if she wants to fly with a baby less than a year old, she can easily call the airport first to ask about their policies involving breast milk, electrical pumps, and so on. If you read the article, she unnecessarily spilled out the bottles, which was a mistake on her part.

You mean you've not read about the women forced to drink their own breast milk before it was allowed on the plane? I'd of dumped it too!

JFK airport security forces woman to drink own breast milk

Elizabeth McGarry, 40, of Oceanside, said the incident occurred April 2 as she was boarding a Delta Air Lines flight for Miami with her infant daughter. She called it "embarrassing and disgusting" when a security guard forced her to drink from the bottles before boarding the plane.

Gawd! That's just too gross!

peace

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by DaTroof

You mean you've not read about the women forced to drink their own breast milk before it was allowed on the plane? I'd of dumped it too!

JFK airport security forces woman to drink own breast milk

Elizabeth McGarry, 40, of Oceanside, said the incident occurred April 2 as she was boarding a Delta Air Lines flight for Miami with her infant daughter. She called it "embarrassing and disgusting" when a security guard forced her to drink from the bottles before boarding the plane.

Gawd! That's just too gross!

peace

That was in 2002, and if you read the article,you'd see "At the time of the incident, screeners were permitted to have passengers drink from containers as a "clearance procedure," said TSA spokesman Sebastian Warren. That policy was changed on June 24, he said.". June 24th, 2002.

Sorry, that excuse is invalid.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I will never understand why breasts are so taboo. Their main purpose is for feeding children. It is only embarrassing if you forget what the purpose of breasts are for. When my children were babies I breastfed them and did not work. The only way I could parent properly was not to work...I was with my babies all the time and that really is the best way. A school principal in Hawaii is surely wealthy enough to take some time off from her career to raise her children. It is her choice of not being at home that caused the humiliation...not the TSA.

I know this sounds crazy...and I know some people have to work...but seriously how much plane travel do school principals really require? Her traveling doesn't directly help any of her students. Isn't she more effective being in the office. She was just going to some convention or conference and shoe could have just as easily said...since I have a nine month old baby at home I am nursing, I am going to skip it this year.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I can only speak for myself but I'm lucky if I'm absent-minded enough to book my flight online 2 days in advance. I try to arrive on time at the airport with a bag containing clothes, sweating and panting. Not everyone is Mr or Mrs Organised. I hate flying but with things like sudden funerals there isn't always another option. Something I've had to do once.

As for what you say, all true enough but it is their choice. Not quite the same as having some TSA employee force you.

Peace

ETA And to the previous poster

To a lesbian or bi-sexual person I don't quite think the breasts would not be primarily considered (the same as prolly most us guys) as a sexual object. Er...objects. Just sayin'.

edit on 3/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

edit on 3/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Moar typo

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Originally posted by AzureSky

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by Adyta

One?

en.wikipedia.org...

C'mon now, this isn't a new thing.

Still doesnt stop the fact that there are some women who don't like to do it,
And having a grown adult watch (and probably pant) as you use a breat pump, ANY female would be uncomfortable in that situation.

She was in a women's bathroom! How is that humiliating? She could have stopped all this nonsense by calling the airport and asking whether full bottles of breast milk were acceptable to bring onto the plane.

So they closed off the restroom to other patrons? She couldn't be taken to a private screening area? All airports have them specifically for cases like these. Next I bet you would say that they should strip search people right in the lines too? Sorry sir but I am going to need you to test out those condoms before we let you through. I guess those people should have called ahead? Yeah because I am sure between a breast pump and condoms, MacGyver could make a pretty damn big bomb out of those.
edit on 3-3-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: typo

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Well, I'm pretty sure I know a guy who just left sacramento for nevada yesterday in a plane and had no tsa check.
Your idea stems from the thought that a 747 will not fly into or out of most private airports.
People with money are not harassed by the tsa, this is the fact.
Once folks can wrap their head around this truth, they can see the real problem!
Hope it helps
edit on 3-3-2012 by g146541 because: i cannot spell harassed!!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
It is not your jet, if you do not like it get your own and do not hitch a ride in someone elses vehicle.
If you cannot afford your own jet I am sorry, work harder!
This whole tsa thing is a non issue.
Like I have said before, if I am driving through the desert and you are walking down the road, I'm gonna know how many fillings you have in your teeth before you ride in my vehicle.
Either you meet my demands or you walk.

You're going to sit there and tell everyone that if they don't want to be humiliated and have fingers shoved up their ass, they should just "make more money" and work harder?

Work harder? I laugh at the idea that CEOs and bankers work even 1/1000th as hard as I do.

It doesn't matter anyways, because in this world, the harder you work the LESS money you make.
edit on 3/3/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I agree with you on the thought that some do not have to work to make their living.
Maybe this is what folks should be thinking on rather than hating your fellow man for doing his job and securing corporate jets.
Just maybe the tsa is not the real issue here huh?
Divide and conquer, the oldest trick in the book.
I have done my part to make them work, I do not buy crap and I do not promote corporate interests wherever possible.
I hope you do the same.
But keep on being angry with me for my idea, it is what they want of you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join