It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voice commands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Ive been involved with technology since i was a very young boy and have grown up with the changes over the years.

I watched star trek as a boy and watched technology come forward in leaps and bounds and even though speech to text softwar has been around for some time it never really took off.

Today i saw apples new phone that the user can ask questions too, but i ask is that actually somthing everyone wants to do?

Personelly, i like buttons, touch screens and such for my input devices, the idea of talking to it - i dont know why i just dont like it!

I find the idea of talking to my things very strange, what do you think is this going to be a new "thing" for techologys?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Voice command, in my experiences suck!!! Not very responsive, except if you programme and pronounce the same word exactly the same every time! I see it in my car, on my phone, everywhere i have tried to use it. I hate it.

I would love to see hologramme be advanced, until we have a flat surface, with a hologramme popping out, looking solid, not that see-through crap.

vvv
edit on 2-3-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
wonder how many voice recognition systems can handle drunken glaswegian?

but i can remember trying to set one up once and it was terrible with british accents as its so diverse for such a small country that they gave up as after a month of trying to teach it some basic things even an hello could confuse it

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I don't know what the deal with this Apple thing is. My friend says it's pretty cool, and he's a pretty good judge of tech, so I'll assume he's correct for now. If he actually ever uses it or not, well I don't know.

However, my last TWO cell phones supported voice commands, and they worked fairly well. Never used it. In fact I think the only real command I ever gave them started with an F and ended with an off.

Can't speak for everyone else, just seems easier to pick a contact off the list, or continue the thread I was already on. And wouldn't really want people around me to always know who I'm calling/texting or what I'm texting or Googling for. I mean, I come here to ATS? You think I really want other people hearing the kinds of things I Google for? They'd put me away!

But I mean, you take 10 guys with regular phones, put em in a room, tell them to text someone. Everything is fine, everything is good. Not a problem.

Put 10 guys in a room giving their phone voice commands. Now we may have a problem. Everyone is TALKY TALKY! Annoying. As if people on their cell phones aren't annoying enough.

But maybe that's just me, maybe everyone else will love it. Can't say what people will like. However, if they do like it, it would be quite perplexing to me.

Everyone I know prefers to text/email instead of calling. I personally can't stand phone calls either. Hate to TALK to people. Have to get up and answer it right now while it's still ringing, annoying. But a text I can read on MY free time, instead of the CALLERS free time. No need to bothered.

Now if you think about it a phone call is actually just one big voice command, and the person on the other end actually understands said commands. Better than the phone does! But even then, people still prefer to text?

So it would seem somewhat odd to me, that people would want a voice activated phone so they could talk to an electronic device, just so they can text their friend and not talk to them???

But maybe other people make lots of phone calls. Depends on who you are I guess.
edit on 2-3-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
yeah honestly ive started using the iphone since 3G and ive been stuck! Its pretty cool! But I think the reason the voice to text hasnt really taken off is because the way the technology was used to make it wasnt that great. Who knows why that didnt work. But yes maybe holographic phones might be next. But whatever it might be is a huge guess...

top topics

join